Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I went for a romantic walk on the beach last night and parked the truck in a nice safe spot. It's a 97 extended cab LWB.
Well when we got home (2am) I opened her door and POP! the door snagged the top of the front fender and chipped a chunk of paint in the process.
It's now catching every time it's opened.
Any one know how I adjust this?
When the door is closed it looks like I have a narrower gap at the top, so I'm assuming I need to loosen the upper hinge and and slide away from the fender.
I'm just not sure if I need to loosen the door to hinge bolts, or the hinge to truck bolts.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
My wife and I went for a romantic walk on the beach last night and parked the truck in a nice safe spot. It's a 97 extended cab LWB.
Well when we got home (2am) I opened her door and POP! the door snagged the top of the front fender and chipped a chunk of paint in the process.
It's now catching every time it's opened.
Any one know how I adjust this?
When the door is closed it looks like I have a narrower gap at the top, so I'm assuming I need to loosen the upper hinge and and slide away from the fender.
I'm just not sure if I need to loosen the door to hinge bolts, or the hinge to truck bolts.

Any thoughts?

My driver door does the same exact thing. I actually went today and bought two used door hinges. The hinges i had were wollerd out bad. maybe they are doing the same thing.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found the problem....

And it's not the hinges:doh:

I drove over a large berm the other day, large enough to get high centered on. Well I took the berm at an angle real slow like, (smart me didn't want to high center) well I think I went to extreme of an angle and the frame/body flex was more than my LWB could handle.

I was checking the door to fender gap (hood was up) and I glanced into the engine bay and noticed the paint all gouged up by the top 2 fender mount bolts, indicating that the fender had been forced into rearward movement. :banging:

Ok, so now to go back outside and see what I can tweak back into alignment.

Any tips at this point in the game?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem solved!

:woot:
Ok, so I pulled the truck up to my garage (can't pull into cause it's a woodworking shop) and ran a snatch blocked come-a-long to a leg on my work bench. the other end of the come-a-long was hooked to a strap and then hooked to a hole on the top inner side of the passenger fender. After I loosened all the fender bolts I could find (about 6 including 2 brackets) I just tightened up on the come-a-long and voila :woot: fender is back in place. Tightened up bolts, removed straps, and jobs all done! :thumb:

Now to avoid the berms :doh:

·
Registered
29 Posts
may want to check hinge pin bushings, you can replaced the bushings and pins with new, when I used to open driver side door, door would drop about 1 inch after coming off the latch, new pins and bushings and door is now tight with no sagging

1 - 5 of 5 Posts