Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried the search, but nothing......
Have a 2006- 6speed, so I use the parking brake. It will either go to the floor or will start to grab and then will pop and go to the floor. Only sometimes will it actually work and hold. Is there a fix? A few times I have backed up and hit the regular foot brake and it seemed to work for a few days, then back to non-op.

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
You can adjust the brake manually by removing the little rubber plug on the backing plate (from the outside without removing tires). There is a star wheel in there you can move with a small pry bar, or a screwdriver. While adjusting it, spin the tire you are working on, and you should be able to hear the shoes adjusting more towards the rotor drum and feel it while you spin the tire. That was hard to explain, hope it makes sense :thumb:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
On my '01, the pedal mechanism was worn out and had to be replaced.
It acted exactly like you are describing. The parking brake pads were still in good shape.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Mine is doing exactly the same thing. Bryce, how much was the fix?

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Pedal mechanism. For an '05+ they should run $100-$125 US. Earlier models are ~$20 cheaper.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Thanks for that info. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Pedal mechanism. For an '05+ they should run $100-$125 US. Earlier models are ~$20 cheaper.
Right.. I think I paid an hour or 2 for labor on mine. Normally, I'd take care of it myself, but we were about leave for a 10 day trip pulling the travel trailer when it completely stopped working and I didn't have time to screw with it before we left. Before that, it would sometimes catch and I just dealt with it, but it eventually failed completely.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can adjust the brake manually by removing the little rubber plug on the backing plate (from the outside without removing tires). There is a star wheel in there you can move with a small pry bar, or a screwdriver. While adjusting it, spin the tire you are working on, and you should be able to hear the shoes adjusting more towards the rotor drum and feel it while you spin the tire. That was hard to explain, hope it makes sense :thumb:
Thanks for the heads up......I will look at it tonight, I suppose it is the same setup for my dually.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I have a pedal assembly out of an 05 if anyone needs it, great shape. Also have all the cables (CCLB) and all the parking brake hardware/shoes if needed.

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
Thanks for the heads up......I will look at it tonight, I suppose it is the same setup for my dually.
No problem :thumb:

I just reread your OP, and I think these other guys are right, about the pedal assy. I didn't see the part about the pedal hitting the floor the first time I read this :doh:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
yeah i got probs with mine, im an automatic but i still use it alot. mine i can sink to the floor again. but i found out why. when i put the e brake on, and back up, i get the most awful sqeaking. so i guess my e brake was sticking and i didnt realize it until the pads were worn down

1 - 11 of 11 Posts