Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My regular foot-pedal brakes are fine on my truck - however the parking-brake is non-existent. ( meaning I push in the parking brake pedal, and it doesn't hold the truck in place) - so no parking on slopes for me - since I have a manual transmission. (I keep a block of wood under the wheels in front of my house, and the truck in 1st gear when parked)

I've got what I hope is all the hardware I'll be needing before starting the job - but wanted to make sure.... My truck is a 2001, Crew cab, long bed. 4WD, single rear tires, manual trans. I'm guessing from a glance, that inside the rear rotors are the parking brake drums. Correct? (I've not seen a setup like this before where the drum is inside the regular rotor)

I've got a (qualified) buddy who manages a brake/tire shop that will be assisting / doing the work - and I want to make sure I have all the needed parts before we start. If I need rotors/drums - I won't know until we pull the wheels from the rear to see.... Anything else that I may have overlooked - please pipe-up and let me know.

Here's the list of goods I purchased from RockAuto.

Carlson H7308 - (1) Parking Brake Hardware Kit (presuming it will be hardware/springs, etc for both sides)
Raybestos BC95852 - (1) - Parking brake cable (for 172" wheelbase truck) - just in case...
BOSCH BP757 - (rear regular brake pads) Bosch QuietCast Pads w/ Hardware
BOSCH BP824 - (front regular brake pads) Bosch QuietCast Pads w/ Hardware
WAGNER ANA771 - (1) - Parking brake shoes (2 sets in the box)

·
Registered
479 Posts
I believe there are more than one cable in the system. 1 main cable, intermediate, then a right and left.
The rear cables, right and left are usually the bad ones, often swelled with rust.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll get under there and check condition well in advance of the work being done - so I'll have time to order those as well.

I believe there are more than one cable in the system. 1 main cable, intermediate, then a right and left.
The rear cables, right and left are usually the bad ones, often swelled with rust.

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Almost all superduty parking brakes just need re-adjustment. Typically what happens is the light that notifies you the p-brake is on doesn't light up because of a stupid pressure switch and you drive 20-30 minutes with it on, on accident. ask me how me and many others know lol....

Im betting you can scuff up the parking brake shoes with some rough grit sand paper and adjust them out a bit and whala. My parking brake shoes are oem and just needed adjustment and hold truck in gear as long as I don't press the throttle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts