Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the winter I replaced my rear axle and in doing so i cut off my rusted on e brake cables, after i did the replacement of the rear axle i went to the parts store to look for new e brake cables and let me tell you i about sh!t my pants when i saw the price of those thins they want 145 dollars a piece. so needless to say i skipped out on the e brake cables. now since took the cables completely out of the truck the pedal has no resistance and falls while i am going down the road. this isnt really a issue except the brake light in the cab comes on and it kicks my cruise control off. i have tried to unplug the electric to the parking brake but that leaves it on all the time. i am wondering if there is a certain way i can wire it up to be always off??? its a long shot but worth the try. thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
177 Posts
ive heard with these pickups ( i drive a 97 too) that that light can come on if the brake is on, but if the pedal goes to the floor i would suggest taking a look at the vacuum pump. the brakes are operated by the vacuum pressure i believe. or check the fluid. maybe a leaky wheel cylinder. but i think that could be causing your light issue

·
Registered
454 Posts
How about zip ties around the gear section of the unit to hold it in place? What does Ford want for the cables? Any salvage yards close maybe they have them.

·
aussie=effie
286 Posts
park brake light

check the foot operated pedal, it has a return spring on it that can come off and not return pedal when released. Mine did it !!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive heard with these pickups ( i drive a 97 too) that that light can come on if the brake is on, but if the pedal goes to the floor i would suggest taking a look at the vacuum pump. the brakes are operated by the vacuum pressure i believe. or check the fluid. maybe a leaky wheel cylinder. but i think that could be causing your light issue
I dont have a problem with my brakes just the E-Brake.
I thought about doing some zip ties but i dont really like to cobble stuff together like that ha but i just may and i didnt check with ford for fear i may actually sh!t my pants lol OEM parts are expensive.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I know they usually are expensive but, considering what the parts store quoted you a phone call is cheap enough for a second price.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
The factory cables I used on my 94 are only $29 (F6TZ-2A635-C) for the drivers side and $33 (F6TZ-2A635-CC) for the passenger side from Tousley Ford Parts online. They are also vastly superior to the aftermarket units I tried first (and were about the same price). Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can just unplug the wire on top of the e brake pedal assembly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can just unplug the wire on top of the e brake pedal assembly.

I tried that and the light still comes on that is why i was wondering about cutting the wires and wiring them together in a way that would make it not care where the pedal was and always think it was off.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
So how is it that zip-tying the pedal up constitutes "cobbling", but cutting the cables doesn't? Or cutting the wires doesn't?

In any event, depending on what constitutes "cobbling", you could disconnect the switch at the pedal again, and make a jumper wire to go between the two terminals on the connector (a .250" male quick-disconnect terminal on each end of a short piece of wire should do it), and just "plug" it into the connector in place of the switch.

But as said above, simply recommissioning the parking brake is the best move. It is a parking brake, after all, and it's really not safe to park a truck as big as ours without it, except on flat level ground.

Good that you're doing something, anyway. That light isn't the "parking brake" light. As is the case with every vehicle sold in this country since about the Kennedy administration, it's the brake FAILURE WARNING light. Its MAIN function is to let you know when the hydraulic brakes fail (when there is insufficient pressure in the master cylinder). The parking brake indication is actually a secondary function. So it's indeed good to have it OFF, so that if your hydraulics were to fail, you'd actually know it.

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
The factory cables I used on my 94 are only $29 (F6TZ-2A635-C) for the drivers side and $33 (F6TZ-2A635-CC) for the passenger side from Tousley Ford Parts online. They are also vastly superior to the aftermarket units I tried first (and were about the same price). Cheers!
Patrick's right Tousley has great prices. Put that thing back in service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts