Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 336 Posts

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ahhh CCV, I've heard of this! :lol:

Thanks for the quick help and encouragement.

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
Looking good so far! :thumb:

Definately check around for any wires those damn rodens may have chewed on, mice and squirrels both like to chew wires. :doh:

As far as the 4-wire bundle above the master cylinder, don't worry, its just a factory extra, so you can wire stuff without having to run wires. I believe it comes out under the dash behind the glove box, I can't remember for sure tho.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Looking good so far! :thumb:

Definately check around for any wires those damn rodens may have chewed on, mice and squirrels both like to chew wires. :doh:

As far as the 4-wire bundle above the master cylinder, don't worry, its just a factory extra, so you can wire stuff without having to run wires. I believe it comes out under the dash behind the glove box, I can't remember for sure tho.
Not the glove box, but just behind the drivers fuse panel.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I love threads like this. The suspence of when you'll post the next pic is unbarable!

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
Great thread!!! I will be keeping an eye on this one. Thanks in advance to the OP for sharing pics and info.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for the comments guys, and the answer on the wires, I figured they were from the factory, just wasn't sure what they were for.

I got 4 more hours in today. A few more parts came off and some more wires were disconnected. I've also got some pics of what I believe is a head gasket leak. :doh::doh:

No time for pics right now but they will come soon!

Stay tuned! :thumb:

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've done more reading on this in the past two months than most people would do in a lifetime to try to learn the symptoms I would be watching for when buying this truck.
I did the exact same thing when I bought mine. I've worked on a ton of gassers, but the diesel world might as well be from another planet.

I don't know if I got them right but the truck runs absolutely perfect. There aren't any oil leaks, it starts great hot or cold, there is no smoke, it idles great, acceleration is smooth and strong at any speed and any throttle position. I couldn't think of anything else to look for. If it wasn't for the Insight I would think the truck is perfect!
The is what scares me on mine, too. I've done as much testing on the head gasket as I can and all seems ok. I'll have to wait until my oil/coolant temp gauges get here before I can actually see my delta. The previous owner had the entire EGR system deleted so I was able to rule out any EGR related troubleshooting. As long as my oil cooler isn't clogged, I should be good to go.

I did the ELC swap yesterday and didn't get huge quantities of crap (w/ Restore & VC-9) so I'm assuming my cooling system was fairly clean to begin with.

Good luck on everything! Definitely post pics!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok, first the pics I don't like....

Wow, it's a lot easier to see what there on the screen than it is looking into the dark in the truck. I was half hoping someone would say 'Nah, you're fine, put her back together and you're good to go.'.

A few months ago I would have said, "Meh, it's only a small leak, keep the oil topped up and you'll be fine.", now I'm dreading having to find someone to machine my heads and wondering if I'm capable of going this far! I have NEVER done any mechanical work on ANY vehicle before. For most people an oil change is the first thing they do... this is my oil change! :scared:

I guess I don't really have a choice, the truck is apart and I don't have the cash to buy the parts AND have it towed for someone else do the work. So, I'll power on and hope I have the smarts to find the info I need before it's too late to use it and if all goes well my first oil change will be one I'll never forget! :hehe:

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Your glow plug buss bar o-rings are leaking.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Here are some quick pics of yesterdays progress and problems....

I finally figured out the grill removal, take the bolts off the top, lean it forward and push down on the top of the clip. It was a two minute job that took me two days! :hehe:

That clip goes in this hole...

If I had seen pics like that I would have been able to figure out how to get it off in the first 5 or 10 minutes instead of two days. :lol:

Used a whole bunch of shirts to soak up the oil and fuel when I took the filters out, there was less than I thought there would be.

Got to work on the fuel lines, take a close look at the line to the drivers side banjo... it's the one on the right with the rusted bolt that matches the one on the left side.

The line was stuck to the bolt so when I turned and it twisted a little. That upset me a little, well a lot, but what's done is done and since I didn't really know what would turn and how it came apart it's too bad for me. I'm going to replace it since it looks like the twist has narrowed the line... unless someone thinks it's still ok.... :hehe:
Filter housing came off.

Next was the turbo oil feed and the EGR valve.

Finally the bracket for the heat shield behind the FICM came out.

Today I hope to get the turbo out, move some more wires and see where I'm at after that....

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
Good thread! I just finished my BPD install. My write-up is in the Bulletproof diesel section, and if you need any other tips, feel free to PM me :thumb:

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Your glow plug buss bar o-rings are leaking.
Is that so....
Well that sounds better than a leaking head gasket! Although I have no idea what needs to be done to replace the glow plug o-rings.

So how do I know the difference between glow plugs leaking and head gasket leaking?
:lol: Can you tell I'm new to this?!?! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
You can buy the orings from a ford dealer in your area for the glow plugs harness. Or replace the harness. There is no pressurized oil in the cylinder head so it is very unlikely that the heads are leaking. Awesome thread by the way!

·
Registered
210 Posts
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK FISHERMEDIC!!!:thumb:

Great thread. Yes your new at this, but your asking all the right questions.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wow. I am one of those back yard mech's that will attempt anything. Lord know I have the garage full of tools for it, but attempting something like this and being as far away from a Ford Dealership or any good store. That my friend takes alot of [email protected] Good luck and do keep posting and asking questions.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have NEVER done any mechanical work on ANY vehicle before. For most people an oil change is the first thing they do... this is my oil change! :scared:

I guess I don't really have a choice, the truck is apart and I don't have the cash to buy the parts AND have it towed for someone else do the work. So, I'll power on and hope I have the smarts to find the info I need before it's too late to use it and if all goes well my first oil change will be one I'll never forget! :hehe:
Everything I've done a vehicle has been learned basically out of necessity. I started 14-15 years ago with oil changes and alternators and have gone from that to engine/trans swaps and will tear into most anything I have to. There is a very satisfying feeling of doing it yourself as opposed to paying someone to do it. You'll know it was done right and the knowledge you'll learn is worth WAY more than a repair/dollar value.

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
looking great!!! btw do the CCV mod while you're in there that'll help the oily mess in your IC boots.

21 - 40 of 336 Posts