Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

321 - 336 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm pretty sure I could have left it and been good to go, but this way I'm 100% sure! It taught me a lesson, I learned from
it:scuffy
Great writeup, thanks for tackling this BIG project for guys like me. Getting ready to start surgery on the F350 next week. How would you have done the Intake differently looking backwards? Did you agree with Fords tightening sequence of the intake manifold bolts?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
I think I just got one or two over torqued. I had a few bolts I could turn by hand and ended up just "snugging" everything up and wasn't sure of how evenly the bolts were torqued across the intake. I continued with reassembly and eventually went back and removed and retorqued the intake bolts to be sure. I should have stopped and redone it instead of carrying on. :dunno:

Good luck with the truck :thumb: take your time and pay attention and it's not that bad at all!

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I want to thank you for this write up!!! I can't tell you the number of times I have read this thread and studied it before I started my project. I just got done looking at your pics on the intake again:dunno::dunno: and I am soooo grateful you took so many pics. I have to get turbo on and everything else and then start her up, I can't wait. This has been a long and hard project, but I just did one stud at a time. I hope they hold for a million miles. Thank you again!!:thumb::D

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
Glad it's helped you out!

So... it's been a few days, how's she running?

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
I want to thank you for this write up!!! I can't tell you the number of times I have read this thread and studied it before I started my project. I just got done looking at your pics on the intake again:dunno::dunno: and I am soooo grateful you took so many pics. I have to get turbo on and everything else and then start her up, I can't wait. This has been a long and hard project, but I just did one stud at a time. I hope they hold for a million miles. Thank you again!!:thumb::D
Glad to hear you are close to getting it wrapped up. Have you started it up yet? :D

Additionally, I just read the line in your signature concerning your son. While many of us knew Dex, I don't know that any of us knew your son. I'm sorry for your loss and he's in a much better place now.
Glad it's helped you out!

So... it's been a few days, how's she running?
BTW, how are you doing, buddy? Haven't seen you in a while other than you popping in to your thread.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Glad to hear you are close to getting it wrapped up. Have you started it up yet? :D

Additionally, I just read the line in your signature concerning your son. While many of us knew Dex, I don't know that any of us knew your son. I'm sorry for your loss and he's in a much better place now.

BTW, how are you doing, buddy? Haven't seen you in a while other than you popping in to your thread.
I've been lurking all summer... :D

It's been a super busy summer! We've had some amazing weather and we've been spending all of our free time (and putting some things off to make more free time) on the water. It's been a summer of swimming and wakeboarding! :nod:

I've also been fighting with the truck a little, sticking break calipers and a little blue smoke on start-up... I think she feels neglected with the time we're spending having fun.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Thank you Evil for your kind words, Daris bought a 2011 6.7 but wanted to wait till warranty ran out to do any mods. He was mainly modding his 325 BMW and learning about diesels. Dex was way ahead of us on his knowledge and I wanted so many times to call Dex and ask him a question while I worked on this truck, but I knew I couldn't. Tomorrow the 2nd will be 2 months since they've been gone and it just is so hard to deal with this, I miss them so much. But I keep praying a lot and I know one day it will get better.:(

The truck runs great,:woot: I have smoke at idle and it's running rich as I haven't bought a SCTX3 with tunes yet. I ended up studding, new radiator and other stuff I wasn't planning on when I started.:rofl: So there went my tuner money, but in a couple of weeks I will be ordering one and an Edge SCT to monitor everything. It feels like my truck has more power and spools up faster, but I don't have hard numbers on that.

·
Registered
590 Posts
fishermedic awesome write up................ any issues with the bpd air cooled oil cooler in the sub zero weather?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
None!

With the cold weather kit and a cold front my oil temps sit at 170* all the way down past -40. I don't know what the temps would have done at -40 without a front on it but I would assume it would eventually warm up. Warm up does take longer than with the stock cooler but I don't see that as an issue and I don't have to worry about it clogging... EVER!! :thumb: A little longer warm up is a small price to pay! lol

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Man! I hadn't looked at the start of this thread for a LONG time so I clicked on it a little over an hour ago (there's a lot to read in here :crazy:).... I can't believe how little I knew when I took this on! I knew it was a little more than a baby step but I had no clue!! :look:

You wanna know what the BEST PART is??? I didn't need to know any more than I did because I had the ORG to back me up and answer the questions that needed answering. I know this place is invaluable but after going back and remembering where I was 2 years ago.... I just want to send another

THANK YOU TO THE ORG!!

This place is a wealth of knowledge and anyone really can do their own work on a 6.0. Thanks guys :thumb:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well I'm bringing this one back from the dead here...just read this entire thing. I'm stuck on a boat in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico and have spent the last two days thumbing through this on my phone. I have to say the ending was bittersweet. I was truly submersed in it. I've done a gas engine swap before and have a bit of experience as well as a buddie's shop for resources and was STILL on the fence. You sir, have given me all the confidence I needed. I've read like five of these things now and the fact that you had the courage starting from scratch makes me feel like a wuss for even considering NOT doing it! Thank you. My recently purchased 07KR will thank you too...in a month.
Hope all is well!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
:) Glad I've helped with the decision! I'm sure you'll have no trouble with it and I'm looking forward to the write-up and pics.... in a month :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys! Well I have spent my last two evenings reading this ENTIRE thread. Man, you have got some balls to do this with little mechanical knowledge, but props to you. I am currently in college and saving up for a 05-07 CCSB 6.0 and I was worried about reliability, but this thread has got me motivated.

I have some buddies that went to school for diesel, and now knowing that I don't have to take the cab off to to do a delete/studs/cooler makes me feel like it is the perfect job for a long weekend.

Medic, you have done an outstanding job putting this together and keeping track of it all. Props to you my friend. You have only made me wish I could get a 6.0 sooner! This thread really helped me understand how the 6.0 works and why the "fixes" work. Thanks for a great forum guys, loving the ORG already!

Jonah

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
Thanks Jonah! I'm really glad I took this on myself and was able to put together a play by play of sorts. It's great to see others use it as motivation to do their own work and learn about their truck.

I also want to say thanks for bringing me back onto the site again... :look: ... I've been so busy with kids, work and the possibility of having to pick up and move my family for an open pit mine that I haven't been on the org for a loooong time! I've still been working on the truck but just haven't been posting.

Maybe it's a good time for an update... brb ;)

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
So here's a little update on the "Saved 6.0L".

It seems there is always something to fix on this truck. Now some of that is stuff that really does need to be fixed and some, as you all know, is stuff that you want to "fix". :nod: You know what I'm talking about... I need a new exhaust (not really but it would sound better and look better), I need new wheels and tires (not really but it would look better), I need a tune (not really but it would... wait a minute... I would get better mileage AND it would be more fun to drive!! I DO NEED A TUNE!!), :rofl: Back on track!! So there is stuff you want and stuff you need.

The stuff I want isn't really a priority right now as the stuff I need is using all my extra time and money. In the last 2 years I've done...

5 oil and filter changes. I know boring...
185 amp DC alternator, mine was toast, easy swap.
BPD 48V Beta-FICM, eventually it got swapped for a 58V production unit, another easy swap.
Front swaybar bushings. I didn't do this one, had to pay for it. For some reason hubs, axles and the like seem over my head! :dunno:
All four brake calipers replaced.
New pads and rotors all around. Turned into 3 days of hell! Good story though!

That was one of 3!!

Right and left side u-joints, locking hubs and bearings replaced. I stayed away from this one too!
Metal cold side CAC pipe with riff raff boots on both pipes. My almost 4 year old helped with that one!

Took off the peeled ugly front badge and painted it white with a blue oval and writing. Subtle change but custom. I like subtle.
08 rear diff cover and fluid. Once it was off I hit the old cover with a hammer and put a hole in it! :scared: It was in rough shape!!
Starter. It was a pain to reach.
Right side glow plug harness. Another PITA!
EGT sensor. Easy peasy lemon squeezy! :laugh: My kids love that one.
New standpipes, dummy plugs. Cleaned injector spool valves and tips, reinstalled with new o-rings. Now that was fun again! The weather was crappy but actually opening the 6.0 up and seeing whats inside again was good times.
And the latest one was the rear window shocks and glass. :( I couldn't justify $100 for new shocks and was waiting till I could get to the boarder to pick up new ones at a third the price. Then the lower door got slammed on the closed glass and the glass shattered. :( $700 out of pocket I was kicking myself for not paying for the shocks. :doh:
I'm sure there's more but I can't think of it right now...

So... I've been busy"ish" but the big thing has been injectors. It started towards the end of winter 2012. I'd get an occasional slight miss on a cold start. Once the truck warmed up it would clear. When the weather warmed it went away. Come fall 2012 it started up again. Just once in a while but it was there. I added Rev-x and it helped a little bit but by the end of winter it was back. Through early 2013 the miss became more frequent and would occur at warmer temps. So last October I finally had a chance to get into the injectors and try to clean them up hoping I could cure the issue. I had zero time and no cash for new injectors so cleaning was my plan. I was hoping to take lots of pics and document it like I did with this thread but I just didn't have the extra time. :( While I was in there I did the standpipes and dummy plugs too because they were out and I was hoping to not go back in.

Turns out injectors are fun too, just like the rest of the work I did I didn't rush and got all 8 injectors out, torn down, cleaned and reinstalled. When I was done she started right up and away we went. Now it was a little better but once the weather cooled off a little more the miss was back.

Over the winter the miss has gotten worse and I now get a stutter on occasion while driving. Not often but it does happen. Along with that I'm getting a #6 injector code so it looks like I'm going back in. I need to get some injectors and I need some warmer weather! I don't ever remember the cold lasting this long! The temp this morning was -36*C and the windchill is supposed to be close to -50*C this weekend! It's MARCH!! COME ON ALREADY!!!

So I'm off to look for some injectors, preferably without a core charge so I can pick up the new ones at the border and not have to send mine back once I get them swapped. If I can find a good price maybe I can get the new ones modded before they're shipped to me.... :look: :D

We can hope! :)

So there it is, two years in the life of a Saved 6.0L. If I can get her running well and not needing parts repaired and replaced my wife, yes you read that right, MY WIFE, wants a lift, tires, paint, mirrors, headlights, bumpers and window tint. I keep telling my baby to stop using parts up and she'll get a nice upgrade... I hope she listens soon!

:cheers:

Reactions: SparkyF250
321 - 336 of 336 Posts