Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 336 Posts

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a paramedic not a mechanic. I've never owner a diesel and I've never even done an oil change. I'm about to attempt major surgery on a 6.0L diesel in my driveway and by myself. Is it possible??? :dunno:

Here's the story.... shortened up some.
I've been looking for an Excursion and finally found one close by (only 13 hours from home:hehe:), it an '05 Eddie Bauer and is in very good shape for the money I paid. It does however have an oil cooler issue, my temps are 25*-30* apart on the highway. I factored in the cost of fixing the oil cooler issues and this truck is still a better deal than some of the "perfect" Ex's for sale right now so here we are.

Since we still have our van for another 3 weeks the Ex is our third vehicle so having it off the road won't hurt our family of 7 (soon to be 8) but once the Ex is the primary vehicle downtime will hurt. Because of this here is my plan for the next three weeks.

Bullet Proof oil cooler system with the cold weather package
Bullet Proof EGR, I've debated this in my head and I'm keeping it for now and if I tune then I can just turn it off.
Updated turbo oil drain tube
Updated turbo oil feed
Replace the STC fitting
Replace the IPR screen
Updated blue spring
Replace the thermostat
Flush the coolant and switch to CAT ELC
Oil will be Rotella T-6 5W-40

I hope this is all I'm going to need, it's 300km to the nearest city so if I can't find it here I loose a full day!

I plan on taking lots of pics, labeling and zip-tying/bagging everything and writing a lot of notes.

Hopefully I can update this thread as I go and use it for hints/tips and advice to help me get this project finished and the truck "Bullet Proofed".

I'll be taking my time on this and I'm sure I'll have some questions along the way but the .org has given me the confidence to attempt this. :crazy:
If the rain stops soon enough I'll start today, if not tomorrow morning I'll start getting dirty! :hyper::scared:

Reactions: Ghost87

·
Registered
357 Posts
Depending how hard of a life it has ahead of it, ARP head studs would be a good idea since you will have the top-end apart for the EGR anyway, just a little more tearing down for the heads

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
That is a huge delta in temps, have you checked for signs that the headgaskets have blown? That would be my only other concern for ya, is that you may have a potential Head job on your hands as well.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
SWEET! Looks like you everything organized to be successful! Hopefully you have someone else that will be around to take pictures and perform documentation since (as I and several others have found out) it is a huge pain to keep washing your hands to take pics or write things down and then jump back into it. Best of luck and please post up your results!!!

Reactions: MightyMouse75

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Sounds like you have a good plan going. Let us know how it works out for you.

Reactions: MightyMouse75

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a huge delta in temps, have you checked for signs that the headgaskets have blown? That would be my only other concern for ya, is that you may have a potential Head job on your hands as well.
This was a big concern for me, and I don't have ANY prior diesel (or gas for that matter) knowledge. I've done more reading on this in the past two months than most people would do in a lifetime to try to learn the symptoms I would be watching for when buying this truck. I don't know if I got them right but the truck runs absolutely perfect. There aren't any oil leaks, it starts great hot or cold, there is no smoke, it idles great, acceleration is smooth and strong at any speed and any throttle position. I couldn't think of anything else to look for. If it wasn't for the Insight I would think the truck is perfect!

I only got a few hours in today, drained some fluids, half the air intake and removed the batteries. I'll get more done tomorrow and hopefully some pics.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are gonna need another gallon of the rotella T6 5W40. The BPD system will take close to 5 gallons, I only see 4
:scared: The jugs say 5L each (I just ran to the garage in a panic to check even though I was sure of this :hehe:) so I have 20L, 5 gallons is 19L(ish). Will it take 5 gallons or 5 jugs? :dunno:

I'd hate to have to make a trip to the city this early in the project but knowing before I get to that point is better than stopping because I don't have what I need.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Hmmm, when I put my BPD system in (cold weather package as well) I used 5 jugs, which I thought was 5 gallons :dunno:
And I only see three gallons of the ELC? You need 3.5 gallons for the fill.
I wouldn't make the special trip for that, you have some time before you finish. Just wait and see what else you might run into as you get through it. I just looked at how far from you that city is........ thats a long way to go for a gallon of oil and coolant.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Yeah, when we refilled my truck, they used a pump to push the oil through the system, so I honestly don't recall how much oil we put back in. Oh and I don't have the cold weather kit because it doesn't really get all that cold here in Arizona. :D

BTW, Oil changes will be about 4 gallons once you get the BPD kit installed.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
BTW, Oil changes will be about 4 gallons once you get the BPD kit installed.
Thank You. I was meaning to ask how much it that was going to be, since its getting close to time to do my first oil change since the install. I was going to put in the standard 14 quarts and add to it if needed. Now I know.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Eisgermedic where in Ontario are you located?

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Than You. I was meaning to ask how much it that was going to be, since its getting close to time to do my first oil change since the install. I was going to put in the standard 14 quarts and add to it if needed. Now I know.
Another topic that came up between Mitch and I was draining of the system. I drain it like normal, but there isn't really a way to drain out the cooler. Before anyone gets overly excited, I have had mine for over a year and have been through quite a few oil changes and my Blackstone reports have come back showing better and better results despite my running conventional oil (Motorcraft 15W40). In my mind, I liken it to the similarity of not being able to change the HPOP reservoir oil. I would think that based on my results the amount of oil retained in the cooler is nothing to be concerned about but that is for each person to decide for themselves.

Changing the full flow oil filter can be a messy process, so I have plenty of Greased Lightning on hand to clean up any spills. When reinstalling both oil filters, I top them off with fresh oil until they are full and then thread them onto their base. Other than that, it is business as usual with the obvious exception that I won't blow up critical engine components when I USE my truck. :thumb:

·
Registered
295 Posts
:scared: The jugs say 5L each (I just ran to the garage in a panic to check even though I was sure of this :hehe:) so I have 20L, 5 gallons is 19L(ish). Will it take 5 gallons or 5 jugs? :dunno:

I'd hate to have to make a trip to the city this early in the project but knowing before I get to that point is better than stopping because I don't have what I need.
The jugs I buy are 4 quarts, which is 1 gallon. I wonder if it has something to do with you being in Canada that your stuff comes in 5L? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eisgermedic where in Ontario are you located?
I'm in Geraldton, ever heard of it?! :hehe: Usually those from Southern Ontario know of North Bay and that's as far North as they get. I'm about 10 hours up Hwy 11 from North Bay. :nod:

Another topic that came up between Mitch and I was draining of the system. I drain it like normal, but there isn't really a way to drain out the cooler. Before anyone gets overly excited, I have had mine for over a year and have been through quite a few oil changes and my Blackstone reports have come back showing better and better results despite my running conventional oil (Motorcraft 15W40). In my mind, I liken it to the similarity of not being able to change the HPOP reservoir oil. I would think that based on my results the amount of oil retained in the cooler is nothing to be concerned about but that is for each person to decide for themselves.

Changing the full flow oil filter can be a messy process, so I have plenty of Greased Lightning on hand to clean up any spills. When reinstalling both oil filters, I top them off with fresh oil until they are full and then thread them onto their base. Other than that, it is business as usual with the obvious exception that I won't blow up critical engine components when I USE my truck. :thumb:
Thanks for the tips. I'm not too concerned about a little oil left in the system. With the amount of oil in the system the percentage left after an oil drain isn't going to be too high, and like you said, people are getting good reports back.

The jugs I buy are 4 quarts, which is 1 gallon. I wonder if it has something to do with you being in Canada that your stuff comes in 5L? :dunno:
Maybe they put more in the Canadian jugs. 1 gal=3.79L, 5=18.95L and I have 4 jugs at 5L each, 20L. :dunno: Maybe I'll call BPD, they probably know. :hehe:

Keep the comments coming, they're a big help!

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Every now and again I will see some of the oil jugs in 5L quantities here in the states, so I don't think it is a fluke.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright I have some updates....

First a "what's this" question, with two pics. There are four wires, black, red, white and blue, with ends exposed by the degas bottle. What are they for?

Now for the progress. I've taken about 4 hours in the last two days, slow and steady. :nod: I'm gaining confidence every hour and getting into this whole mechanic thing. :lol:

I started with fluids, drained the oil and the coolant, took out the batteries and then started into the air filter. The passenger side battery ?bolt, holder?, I'm not sure what to call it, jumped off and into the farthest crevice it could find, I didn't get to it until yesterday after removing the engine to CAC hose. :hehe: The air filter took some fiddling to get the tabs off the filter housing but I eventually got it off. I took out the two first pieces and stood back and admired my work, thinking, 'no problem, I got this, I'm almost done!!' :rofl:

Actually I stood back and thought 'it's not too late to turn back!' then I quickly started to work on the hose clamps and took out the degas bottle and then the CAC hose and rad to engine coolant hose, no turning back!

Now if you look closely in the last pic behind the FICM and under the turbo you'll see this...

A daring place for a family of mice! Makes me wonder how long the truck sat without being used. :doh:
Continuing on, I removed the FICM, and mouse bedding (there's still more under the turbo)! It took some maneuvering to get to the plugs under the FICM but by tilting the front of it up and towards the turbo I got under there.

On the other side, I removed the CAC hose and then pondered the removal of the belt and alternator. Eventually I noticed the little spring lock that would hold the tension pulley in a released position. Now there must be a better way but I ended up pulling on the belt to get the pulley to lock in the released position to get the belt off. Then the alternator came off. The hose with the green tape on it goes to the degas bottle, I couldn't get it out so it's flopping back and forth out of the way until I can get a good grip on it. :hehe:

Next I removed the heater hose (black metal tube along the intake manifold in the bottom of the above pic), it took a little muscle and prying to get the o-ring to release but I finally got it.

I've also been removing wiring clips as I go, when you undo them there is a locking clip of some kind to hold them in place, don't force anything, they've all come off very easily once I've figured out how to release the lock.

That's it for now... it's tough to take pics with dirty hands but I'll continue to try. I think that and notes is whats keeping me from getting ahead of myself! :) It's also tough to find time to post like this, between 5 kids and stuff to do around the house! However the posts, pics and noted are what's going to get this truck fixed and back on the road, so, on with the show!

Reactions: KLT1969

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, a quick question, how do I remove the turbo intake tube? It's loose except for the small tube underneath. I don't know what that tube is going to or how to disconnect it.

I'm heading out there soon but any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
That's the CCV tube. It's just held in place with a rubber grommet. Once you get the cold air intake tube disassembled, it should just come right out.

Thanks for the pics! It is a great thing to force yourself to document how things got pulled off so you don't forget how they go back together again! :D Congrats on tackling it yourself. As you probably realize, it isn't very difficult, just some things that need tinkering with to get them to come loose. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 336 Posts