Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much of a pain would it be to paint the ugly tan inserts in my grille? I hate the color. any color suggestions? my truck is black. I was thinkin just paint them black but I dont know how that would look. Also, how hard is it to take the inserts out? Thanks

·
Registered
742 Posts
pics? not really sure what inserts you're talking about

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plastic inserts that are in between/behind the chrome grill

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

those things

·
riddin' high
2,877 Posts
shoot, id tape the chrome off, throw some newspaper behind the grill and rattle can black them bad boys out!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ha yea I guess I could do that. I was wantin to get them off there and rough em up then spray can em. but I wonder how hard it is to get them off

·
Registered
224 Posts
It aint that bad.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just a couple bolts and screws huh?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Couple bolts and a few plastic fasteners. Take the grill off. Then pop the tan piece off the chrome piece.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh, I have to take the chome grille off first, then the plastic off of the chrome?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thats what I would do. I took me a while to get the piece off the back, and you dont want to have to be under the hood to do it. Have you seen the back of the grill?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, I popped the hood and stuck my head up under there. it was a back breaker

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yea I took out the Ford oval off the front while the grill was on the hood...that was a pain in my ***, and I was only under there for a couple minutes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Did mine last night. Thanks for the excellent directions. The only thing I would add is masking the area around the emblem off with tape, cause when that sucker pops off, it really comes off. I ended up using a plastic pry to remove the other one and it was much easier then the finger breaking pull removal technique.

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did mine last night. Thanks for the excellent directions. The only thing I would add is masking the area around the emblem off with tape, cause when that sucker pops off, it really comes off. I ended up using a plastic pry to remove the other one and it was much easier then the finger breaking pull removal technique.
Looks good! what color paint did you use? just regular black? did you do any prep work before painting?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I took out the Ford oval off the front while the grill was on the hood...that was a pain in my ***, and I was only under there for a couple minutes.
did you do anything with the ford oval once you got it off? can that somehow be painted? I dont like the blue

·
Registered
127 Posts
Looks good! what color paint did you use? just regular black? did you do any prep work before painting?
No prep work, except clean it and roughed it up with a green pad. Used gloss plastic Krylon paint from Lowes. Took maybe 20 minutes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
did you do anything with the ford oval once you got it off? can that somehow be painted? I dont like the blue
Yep I took them off and had them sanded smooth and painted.

I just changed them today, Ill get some pics in a little bit.

·
Registered
224 Posts
That looks clean. Nice work.
Thanks

Heres what they look like now. And the tailgate handle needs to be painted ASAP.:doh:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts