Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I aquired a set of the OEM chrome centercaps that came off of an '02 F-350 SRW 4WD. I would like to paint these centercaps flat black so that they will match my freshly powdercoated steel wheels. I'm sure that others have done this before, and I would like some advice on how to prep the chrome surface and what type of paint works the best.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
If you want the paint to stick, take a wire wheel or some 80 grit sand paper to them to remove the chrome. If you have access to a glass bead blaster, that would work too. GLASS beads, plastic media will only take off paint and not scratch the chrome.

Once down to the nickel (or copper if you're an over achiever), take some sand paper, say 180-240 grit if you're doing it by hand, to clean up the scars left by the wire wheel or 80 grit. Wipe with alcohol for a clean surface, hit them with an etch primer, then a few light coats of flat black to build up a good base.

I make my living as an aircraft painter to support my automotive addictions.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree 100% with Karls. You have to put in the effort and do it right if you want that paint to stick. I do a lot of finishing in a booth at my shop and stuff like this is sometimes more work than its worth... But if you do it right, you won't have to mess with it again, ever!

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

1,627 Posts
plasti-dip

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
1,627 Posts
Yea a friend of mine plasti dipped his Taurus sho wheels...came out nice and it's very forgiving...plus he powder coated his wheels that's thicker then plasti dip

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
It can be as forgiving as the Pope, if it's not prepped right, yer wasting time and material.

sent from a dumb guy with a smart phone

1,627 Posts
Lol like a pope

1,627 Posts
I wount disagree about prep work...of course no matter what the surface has to be prepped

1 - 9 of 9 Posts