Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember some time back there was a link to a how-to article on repainting the Ford emblems that are peeling. I would like to redo the one on my grill and paint it black with chrome lettering. I know I need to use acetone to get the old coloring off and it said use a crayon or some vaseline to keep the paint from sticking to the part you want to leave chrome. I don't remember how they sealed it though. Does anybody have the link to this article. Thank you!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I dont remember the tread but i just pulled the plastic coating off, used paint thinner to remove the paint, taped it up, painted it in inverted colors then put 4 coats of clear coat. It doesn't look to bad for just a couple of hours of work:thumb: Here are some pics

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks good STLWRKR. How is the clearcoat holding up. The thread I saw said to use resin or something and pour it on there. That's the part I was trying to figure out. I think I can figure out the rest. Was it just a couple nuts holding that on?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks. I did it about 3 months ago, did 3 coats of clear coat and so far so good. There is one nut and two flat post that snap in. I used two butter knives to get them undone, plus i had to take the grill off of the truck. The hardest part was taping it up for painting but its worth it.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I just put a black overlay on my front emblem and it came out awesome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.