Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a new gate and was going to paint it today. Seems that the primer I sprayed yesterday doesn't like the top coat so it is back to square one. I have to resand the entire thing back down again. I used CS278 Crossfire sealer and am using MDC by Omni basecoat/clearcoat. This really has me pissed off. I sprayed the primer yesterday and wetsanded it this morning. I have a feeling I allowed to much time for the primer to cure. It isn't lifting in all areas either so it kind of has me stumped.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There isn't to much time for primer to cure. It sounds like

If it was a new tailgate there is no need to prime unless you had some body work did on it. Most sealers you would use would be wet on wet. That is spray the sealer then let it flash put your base on. If your base coat was to aggressive then you would not put on real wet coats. The paint your using should be fine. if your sealer stays down then your base coat should too. If you used a spray bomb (rattle can) that might cause problems.
Painting is easy, its when you have problems and can correct them thats when you become a painter. Iv'e got guys that have been painting 3 -4 yrs when a problem comes up there lost . so are they painters or what!!! Iv'e been painting for 35 yrs and still have things come up that makes you wonder. Anything I can help with be glad to help.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a takeoff tailgate that had a small dent in it that I fixed. The data sheet for the primer says:

If the CROSSFIRE® Enamel Sealer is allowed to dry more than 8 hours, scuff and recoat
with the appropriate CROSSFIRE® Enamel Sealer

So I think what my problem was is I allowed to much time for it to dry. I wanted to wet sand the primer for a smooth finish before topcoating. My error so now I have to pay for it. I am spraying it normal with an HVLP gun.

Thanks for the advice/tips. I'm just frustrated I have to redo the process again.....

·
Registered
454 Posts
you should stay with same brand procuct all the way through....we shoot sherwin williams and only shoot that for primer, sealer, base and clear. Which is the same for martin senoir who makes crossfire.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I thought sherwin williams was a house paint !!! Mixing products isn't recommended but people do it all the time. When I'm shooting something for buddies they mix products. I can say this, Primer is primer Should be able to put any sealer over it. I been shooting
akzo noble (sikkens) for 15 yrs you can still have problems. Your problem sounds like whatever you sprayed over gave you the trouble.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry just read your post. What they mean is that if you don't put the base on within the 8 hour time limit you need to recoat again. Thats for the paint to stick to the sealer. Now your saying that you sealed it or did you prime it ??

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is an enamel based primer sealer. I allowed it to dry overnight and half the next day then I wet sanded it. I should of only allowed a flash coat before topcoating. Live and learn on my end, just sucks that it needs to be stripped down to nothing again and start from square one. I have sprayed a lot of things in my time as well. I bought the primer sealer a while back when I did my crewcab restoration. I knew then that it was only a flash before topcoating and I should of read the data sheet on it this time. Oh well, I'll get it painted up and post some pictures of the end result.

I took this crew from this:

To this:

I should of kept this truck but ended up selling it as 3 were to many.

·
Registered
454 Posts
sherwin williams is amazing paint in the auto world haha they do all sorts of paint products for eveything. and yeah alot of people do it, sometimes it works and sometimes it can bite ya in the butt. iv mixed products on my own stuff but never on customers or insurance work because failure is a possibility.

·
Registered
128 Posts
sherwin williams is amazing paint in the auto world haha they do all sorts of paint products for eveything. and yeah alot of people do it, sometimes it works and sometimes it can bite ya in the butt. iv mixed products on my own stuff but never on customers or insurance work because failure is a possibility.
If you look up akzo noble you'll see they been around since stage coach days ye-ah what color would you like your ride. Always use SIKKENS start to finish. We have 12 shops and Sikkens is a little more $$$ but guaranteed for lifeas is our work. You need a good product. Didn't mean to offend you. Besides just trying to help.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You got some pretty good looking trucks. Love the Ranger. Hey good luck !!!
Thank you.

I finally was able to get back at it and after sanding part of it down I decided to hit it with paint stripper, it took the paint and primer off right down to the original paint and was a hell of a lot faster. After countless hours of sanding, priming and then wetsanding I was able to get it sprayed today. I wish I would of had a booth to do it in but the driveway worked OK. I only got 3 bugs in the clear coat so they should sand out fine. I'm happy with the outcome of it and will get some pictures of it in the sun when the clear coat is dry. Total cost to paint it was right at a 100 bucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts