Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was washing the truck today getting ready for the upcoming auto show I'm going to enter, and I noticed some push pin tip sized brown spots underneath the clear coat on my tailgate. At first I thought it was just dirt, but the paint feels rough (you know, like it doesn't have any wax on it) and it didn't come off by washing or even waxing. Anyone ever heard of this? I keep the truck spotless normally, but just noticed this tonight. You can't even see it until you are about 7-12" away from the paint. I"ll post pics tomorrow. What can I do to take care of it? Does this mean a new paint job???

-Ben

·
Registered
405 Posts
i think it prob. like over spray above the clear and depending on how old it is and u may think im crazy but we have did this manytimes take a rag and some brake cleaner and spray it on the rag just a little bit and then try to wipe it of but dont scrub really hard for a long time the brake clean will get to the reg. paint if u do. i had black over spray on mine and it worked....

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'll give it a try...hopefully it works. Will I need to have new clear coat sprayed on it? It's all over the entire tailgate.

·
Registered
405 Posts
if you painted some thing or some one around where u parked at one time did.... my brothers car had silver all over it from some where they where painting and thats what i did to fix that to.... if it feels like no wax it can not be under your clear.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no one has been painting...the only thing that happened was the stupid county guy went by while I was washing my truck...maybe he kicked up something? But as far as I know no one has been painting anything brownish orange.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, so I tried the brake clean thing and it didn't work. BUT...since it's dark outside, I held a flashlight up to the tailgate and looked at it from the side...you can see a orange coating on top of the paint. What else works besides brake cleaner?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Sounds like road paint maybe. May have happened a while ago. I would get some rubbing compound and rub it then use polishing compound to bring back the shine. You will best off if you get an air buffer like the bodyshops use.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
an 08 tailgate!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL You had to say it didnt ya...lol I've been thinking about getting one for the longest time.

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
Hit it with a GOOD QUALITY rubbing compound and some elbow grease. The rubbing compound has really fine grit in it, and will take down the clear coat and any scratches that are in the clear coat. Give it a shot first.

·
Registered
405 Posts
yea. the o 8 tail gate lol or the buffer and compound is a super idea.

·
Registered
405 Posts
yep or the california gold works to

1 - 15 of 15 Posts