Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
***EDITED***
For those who may experience the P20BA code. It is for "Reductant Heater A Control Performance". Its an issue with the DEF tank heater and is covered under the 5 year/50,000 mile warranty for trucks over 8,500 gvw. If you take it to the dealership likely they will refernce their service manual. That tells them to clear ot out and then cycle the truck to see if the CEL will come back on. In my experience (and that of others from other forums) it will not come back on right away for them. Therefore if its under warranty you are stuck paying a diagnostics fee for them to say nothing is wrong and give you your keys back. It will come back on soon after you pick it up (at least in my case and that of those I read on other forums). When it does, take it back and have them check it again. Eventually they will find the reservior needs replaced and fix the issue.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Full story if anyone cares:
About two weeks ago CEL came on. Vehicle was one week out of 3 yr/36K warranty at that point. Ran it to Auto Zone to get the code read and came back as P20BA, but they didn't know what it meant. Ran to the dealership and they tell me it's not a Ford Code. Come home, do the research and find out it is in fact a Ford code and it's for "Reductant Heater A Control Performance." Other forums show it's for the DEF tank heater. Do some more research and find out my 2011 F-250 is covered under the 5 yr/50K emissions warranty, so I schedule apt with the dealership to get it in and taken care of. Today was the earliest they could get it in and I made several trips to the dealership prior to this to make sure warranty would cover it. Brought in the part number I found on a different forum and they told me that if in fact that was the problem it would be covered under the emissions warranty. Dropped it off this morning and just went to pick it up this afternoon. They told me on the phone the code came back to a problem in the DEF system and the tech followed the procedures for it. They tell me the code cleared up and they retested it, but nothing came back. When I go to pick it up they tell me I have to pay the one hr labor charge for diagnostics ($135) because they didn't replace anything. They tell me there was nothing wrong in the system and it must've been a hiccup, so warranty won't cover it. Service manager tells me that Ford won't pay them the diagnostics fee as a warranty claim if he were to submit it unless they replace a part.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will they refund you when the code comes back.
They said they are leaving the ticket open for 30 days. If within that 30 days it comes back on I can take it back in free of charge for diagnostics. Until they actually have to replace something such as the DEF heater, they will not refund the money.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sorry to hear you fell victim to budget cuts. Hopefully the dealership will get you taken care of and congrats on the baby being due. $135 would buy a few boxes of diapers

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Outcome: Picked the truck up Tuesday and told them I will be back later with the same issue. From reading around I learned the tech manual has them clear it, cycle the engine and see if it comes back on whoch typically doesnt happen. Others with the same issue had the light come on anywhere from the same day they pick up their truck to a few days later. Well mine came on the very next morning, so I took it back down. They called 2 hrs later saying the DEF reservoir needed to be replaced. Since theyre finally replacing a part (the one I told them I needed replaced when I scheduled my appointment) they are refunding my $135. Such a headache, but it all worked out in the end. So, if you ever get the code dont give up hope! It might take a trip or 2 extra, but they eventually figure it out.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Are there any delete kits for the 6.7? Or is it because it's under warranty you don't want to mess with it? I own a 6.0 and not looking to upgrade any time soon because of the uria tanks. I'm paying for diesel, and now I gotta pay for the piss fluid? Only way I'll upgrade is if there is a delete kit or the truck has been deleted. Glad to hear it worked out in the end though OP.

Sent from tapatalk PRO ........ I WISH

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are there any delete kits for the 6.7? Or is it because it's under warranty you don't want to mess with it? I own a 6.0 and not looking to upgrade any time soon because of the uria tanks. I'm paying for diesel, and now I gotta pay for the piss fluid? Only way I'll upgrade is if there is a delete kit or the truck has been deleted. Glad to hear it worked out in the end though OP.

Not looking to mess with it bc of warranty and the fact I dont have money to. Once the warranty is up Im hoping to have money and delete it/straight pipe it. As far as I know they do have the delete kits though. I had a 6.0 (non-bulletproofed) before I traded to this and even paying for DEF is worth it. More power and much smoother ride. And I really loved my 6.0 too.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Not looking to mess with it bc of warranty and the fact I dont have money to. Once the warranty is up Im hoping to have money and delete it/straight pipe it. As far as I know they do have the delete kits though. I had a 6.0 (non-bulletproofed) before I traded to this and even paying for DEF is worth it. More power and much smoother ride. And I really loved my 6.0 too.
I see, sure. I'd do the same because of warranty, never know if the turbo will grenade the motor or something else. When's the warranty expire?

Yeah man. I love my 6.0 with the previous owner upgrading the turbo to a pmax, love it even more.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see, sure. I'd do the same because of warranty, never know if the turbo will grenade the motor or something else. When's the warranty expire?

Yeah man. I love my 6.0 with the previous owner upgrading the turbo to a pmax, love it even more.

There's an emmissions warranty that will expire July 2016 or 50K miles, a powertrain warranty that I think expires July 2016 or 60K miles and then there is the Powerstroke engine warranty which is good for I can't remember number of years or 100K miles. Confusing, but basically another 2 years I believe and I can tell EPA to screw themselves and do as I please.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The CEL came on yesterday. I have a code reader, P20BA. Cleared it and it came back same day. My truck has about 65k miles so I guess this one is going to be on me. I would rather spend money on deleting than fixing unnecessary stuff that will just give problems again but I don't have enough confidence in Ford's turbo to handle a tuner nor do I have enough confidence in myself to leave the power level set at stock. I guess i'll price out the heater and go from there.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The CEL came on yesterday. I have a code reader, P20BA. Cleared it and it came back same day. My truck has about 65k miles so I guess this one is going to be on me. I would rather spend money on deleting than fixing unnecessary stuff that will just give problems again but I don't have enough confidence in Ford's turbo to handle a tuner nor do I have enough confidence in myself to leave the power level set at stock. I guess i'll price out the heater and go from there.
You will need part number BC3Z5J225L if you decided to replace. Its the whole reservoir - heater doesnt sell by itself just as the whole unit.
Good luck with whatever you decided. These are incredible trucks/engines for such petty problems. Would love mine to be deleted, but between warranty and lack of money that wont happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I priced out the heater and it's over $500 in Canada but, on page 27 of the warranty guide the DEF tank is listed under the 7 year 70,000 mile warranty. I am heading for holidays today and when I return I should still be just under the 70,000 mile mark. I guess I'll bring it in to the dealer when I get back.

Edit: Woops, I reread the warranty guide and the 7 year 70k mile warranty is for vehicles eligible for California warranty coverage. To delete or not delete????

·
Registered
3 Posts
First time taking in my 2012 6.7L due to code P20BA, they reset the light because thats what their books tell them to do. Light came on three days after i got it back. I took it in again for same code. They replaced the whole system and reset the CEL and ran another diagnostics test that passed. Everything for both visits was covered under the emissions warrantee. Light came back on 1 day later same code. Took it to a new shop with all my old repair paperwork telling them my issue and hoping these mechanics could figure it out. The had my truck 2 days and they found a update for the system. Downloaded the update and ran a system diagnostics that passed. Gave me my truck back and the next day it came back on. Called Ford Motor Company and talked to customer service and they gave me a trouble ticket number and they are opening a case to provide the garage i choice with additional resources and have the mechanics at FMC look at the issue to find a solution. That is the latest as of now, will update when it gets back from service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
**********UPDATE*******

Called the Ford Motor Company and had my claim elevated. The regional manager hooked my up with a free rental when i took it to my local dealer. They had it for 6 days. If you get the code P20BA, it references the entire DEF system and is not specific. BUT, upon taking it to the dealer they can run an in depth diagnostic test and it will tell them exactly what piece of that system is bad. The reason they had mine in the shop 4 times is because they were changing out the wrong heater. There is a DEF heater on the reductant tank assembly itself and ALSO a heater on the High pressure fuel line( is what i was told by the mechanic). The diagnostics test told them to Ohm the heater. It came back out of peramiters and then they changed it out. The mechanic drove it home and back the next day and I've had it back 5 hours. No CEL!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just got this code yesterday. Are they aware of this situation now days? most of these post are old. Just curious If I'm going to be dealing with same BS!

·
Registered
820 Posts
just got this code this morning first time below freezing when i started it. Cleared it and came back this afternoon. Headed to bumper to bumper to buy a Dorman replacement 904-372 part number for about 300 after tax. Can be had for 170 online if you can wait a week. Headed out of town in 9 days and im sure it will shut the truck down before then.

Changing it out tonight.

·
Premium Member
4,444 Posts
yup. this fault will eventually idle only the truck. just make sure it's not p20be, cuz that's for the line heater. ba is in tank i believe

·
Registered
3 Posts
SIK-06,

I just went through it this past year and up till august they didn't know how to fix it. Read up on my earlier posts for my experience. I had to leave it with the shop for 5 days for them to trouble shoot it and really fix it. There are 3 codes the my truck had. I had to get a brand new DEF tank, heater, pump and system, there are two different heaters in the system, make sure they OHM both out to find out which is bad. Also there are a number of electronic sensors that gave the third code i can't remember what it was, ill have to look over my work orders to find it for you. But after they replaced all that over a 14 month period it was finally fixed. Just in time for me to sell it and switch to a Chevy. Couldn't deal with the Ford any more and their absolutely horrible customer service.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Well, 5 hours later, few cus words, some blood and couple hundred bucks. Im back up and running. I think this spring my truck is going on a diet.

FYI if you dont have a lift to do this job, Either have 2 floor jacks or real good tall jack stands and 1 floor jack. Note the 2 hour job took 5.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts