Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 F250 6.7L. New to site and no where near a mechanic but wanted to post on here to try and make sure dealership doesn't take me to cleaners. CEL came on and auto zone said code was P207F. Took to dealership on Mon 12 Oct. They reprogrammed and changed fuel filter IAW TSB and my extended warranty is still good, very thankfull to know that. Picked up that afternoon and less than 6 miles, CEL back on. Parked that evening, drove 8 miles to dealership in morning, shut off truck for 2 min to get drop envelope, got back in restarted and light is off. Dealership called and said there were no codes, drove it for 75 miles with my permission and monitored while driving with everything working properly. Picked up that afternoon and was told to bring back if light comes on and with me hauling a camper I thought it would be best if I just bought a code reader. I have driven now for 400-500 miles and CEL came on again...P207F is back. Other symptoms I have noticed: Before initial light I noticed a mildew urine smell at start up. Had the dealership change air filter when took it in for initial P207F and did not get smell again until yesterday. My DEF tank was less than 1/2 full so I asked the dealership to fill. When I picked up the gauge said full, I checked today after CEL came on and it was less than 1/2 again. Gas mileage has been up and down. Not tool long before initial CEL It dropped down to 12 MPH then came back up on the interstate running about 80. Today I was at 18.3, then it dropped to 17.3 for no reason other than speed change from 80 to 65-70. Finally, I have not seen cleaning exhaust filter message in a while. I will be taking it back to dealership on Mon and will update with any results.

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
So you took it in initially with the code nd they just reset it? Amateurs.
You have a DEF system issue. Could be the fluid itself. Or the injection system. Best thing to do is wait for the code. When it comes back, drive to the shop nd DO NOT shut the truck off. Let them verify the code.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They said they reprogramed the PCM in accordance with TSB that Ford issued and also changed the fuel filter. I am trying to catch the light on and catch the dealership open at the same time is very hard. That is why I bought the reader so hopefully when I take it back tomorrow, the code will be stored. Right now when I open the reader (ANCEL AD310) it has 2 options - Pending and Stored codes. When I select both, the P207F is there. After reading about the code, I feel fortunate to have not gone into limp mode yet but the scary part for me is driving this truck when I have to haul my camper 150 miles home on 6 Nov, then travel 600 miles over 15/16 Nov for my next job assignment. I would agree about the DEF issue due to the smell, the tank being below 1/2 in less than 2 weeks 500 miles, and not seeing the cleaning exhaust filter message since the first CEL came on...just have to see what they say tomorrow, if they can figure it out. My truck is at 63K miles

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Oh, ok. Some dealers will reset and send you on your way. Pisses me off.
It almost sounds like the NOx sensor is bad. But.....if the DEF injector is not opening then the NOx will be too high. So its a guess on my part.
I would bet that the dealer should be able to test both pretty quickly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think that could be the cause of the smell....if the DEF injector is not opening then the NOx will be too high? I started the truck this morning and it had a very low smell, most of the time it is pretty strong and I grab the air freshener and hold it in front of AC to get rid of smell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took truck back to dealership although they were booked, they managed to get me in. After troubleshooting again, no codes stored or pending in the system. Their best guess was contaminated DEF. They asked where I get my DEF and I responded, the last 3 or 4 oil changes, your store has topped it off. I will go back to only using the Blue DEF from Sams or Walmart, did not have any problems before. Since getting truck back, hauled 5th wheel 630 miles and made another round trip (1200 miles) with no issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CEL has not returned since my last visit so I can only assume it was bad DEF from the dealership. I am now only using what I purchase from Sams. I never receiving any limp mode warning both times the CEL came on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.