Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 F350 7.3L SRW
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I'm pretty new to the forum. I've been spending a lot of time here lurking and reading. 2001 F350 7.3L Lariat 4x2 Crew Cab

Last night, my Service Engine Soon light came on. Nothing had changed with how the truck has been running. I tried Autozone to read the codes, and nothing came up, but O'Reilly's gave me P1670 "Electronic Feedback Signal Not Detected." Being as that's as far as I could investigate on my own, I just cleared it to see if it would come back on, and it didn't.

Question is, is this a common fluke? Is there something I should be worried about? (In two weeks I'll be driving to the coast 4 hours away with the family to go camping).

Edit while I'm waiting for this post to be approved: What is the recommended scanner for me to get and read codes and also perform diagnostics? With this being the truck I've always wanted, I'm not planning on ever selling it, and think it would be good to have something like this. I'm here to learn everything as I go along, and do as much as I can by myself, picking up tools along the way.

The following is just what I've been doing to my truck since i got it. The forum has been so helpful, and guided me through everything I needed. I love it.

I just recently got this truck, 141k miles, had it for about a month, and it's been one thing after another that I've been chasing after. I test drove it on two separate occasions, and had no issues at all, everything looked fine all over. A few days after I got it home, battery light came on. Found massive corrosion on cables underneath the plastic, so I replaced those. Light still on, so replaced the batteries after the alternator tested good at O'Reilly's. I replaced them because they were pretty corroded, and I will be using the old ones for solar project. After the light was still on again, I replaced the alternator, and it was fine, thank goodness.

While I was taking off the belt to replace the alternator, the tensioner slot just broke into pieces. I tried two part epoxy jb weld to get it back together, but that didn't work. So I got a new motorcraft tensioner and replaced the idler pulley while I was at it.

Found a new leak in the engine valley. It was diesel. It ended up being an aftermarket seal for the fuel bowl cap. I ordered a new motorcraft cap w/ seal and new filter. Put those in, and leak was gone.

A few other things I've added were replaced the power door locks all around, added jimmy jammer plates on front and rear doors, and got a cyclops anti theft relay for the fuel pump. Also, the door chime problem was driving me nuts, being on at all times when the door was open, so I pulled out that contact in the lock cylinder and wrapped it up in tape.

The last thing I've done, I went to top off the coolant one day, the last owner said he just used regular coolant, so I put in some 50/50 I had. Looking closer after I filled it, the liquid in the degas was clear, and the green coolant I put in was floating. No idea what was in there, so I went and flushed it all, replaced the top and bottom hose, and refilled with Chevron Delo ELC. I had bought a new thermostat and housing because it was rusted, but those bolts were not going to come off...so I left it for now.

50 miles after that, the Service Engine Soon light came on, and here I am now!

I've always wanted this exact truck, and it took years to save up enough to buy it. I love my 2001 F150 5.4L 7700 extended cab, but the family needs more space. My daughter's seat was crammed in the middle, backwards, with her feet against the back of the seat. My kids are much happier now with the extra space.

Thanks for reading, and your help.

-Ryan

·
Premium Member
9,051 Posts
If you're gonna keep & maintain the truck yourself I strongly suggest you get access to the special scanner software you need to do it.

To retrieve most of the codes you'll need to help and even do some testing look at the FORscan Lite or TorqueApp (you add an Android device and Blue Tooth Adapter for @ $30) OR the Windoze version with a USB adapter. I like this one for BT Android -> http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/

Just a few years ago you needed to buy a professional scan tool because our trucks need to have a scanner with a Library containing both the Ford Proprietary AND the Diesel Specific codes in it. Add to that, our trucks are Not, specifically, OBD-II so the Generic scanners the Auto Parts Stores have are of little use to us. But today there are some very good App based tools, that are close to what the pro tools do, for fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
2001 F350 7.3L SRW
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I just picked up that exact adapter! I'm glad of the advancements out there that help owners these days...even just think about forums with all of the knowledge archived.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts