Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brand spankin new member. Old van.

Van in Sig with 420,000 miles. SES light is on. If my understanding is correct, this is more than likely a bad VC plug or broken wire somewhere in the harness. I was going to start by checking the plug for a burnt terminal.

The drive-ability symptoms are the following: Accelerating moderately at about 1/3 throttle in 1st and 2nd gear it will flatten out on power and kind of sputter or crackle, but won't shift and it will blow blue smoke. If I let up on the throttle it will shift and power is restored and no smoke. Also if I give it more throttle it will accelerate and stop smoking. It does this mostly when the engine is still cold but I can tell it still is flat on power in those areas when every thing is up to temp.

Not sure if the open circuit and sputter are related. I figure I'll tackle one at a time. I also have the EBPV gutted but it had never caused the SES light to come on.

Also I noticed that the SES light goes off when coasting off throttle. I watched the live data on my AutoEnginuity for fuel needed, and when it went to zero the light would go off.

I replaced the IDM just because I had a spare, and it was a quick swap; but no change.

Am I headed in the right direction with the broken wire or bad plug? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had a chance to check the valve cover plug. All the pins look fine. Sprayed the connectors real good with contact cleaner. Still get the code: P1273 High to Low Side Open - Cylinder #3.

Not sure where to go next except to check wires for breaks but don't know which ones. Gotta do more investigation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: She now has 459000 miles on the ticker. I ended up changing the VCH and 1 3 5 7 injectors. P1273 went away as well as most smoke. Injectors were needing changed anyway as #8 was going south. VCH checked out fine for continuity so I'm assuming it was a bad solenoid. I really wanted to change just the injectors to be sure which was causing the problem but being a van I wasn't going in there twice.

I Just did 2 4 6 8 injectors Saturday and she runs like a top. I had forgotten how it was supposed to run. It had gotten to where it wouldn't even start at 40F and below without plugging it in. I guess 450K is pushing the limit on our injectors. I also changed the GP's while I was in there but the old ones checked out OK, so I don't believe they had any effect on the starting problems. It never blew white smoke, it just wasn't getting enough fuel due to the wore out injectors.

I now can hear the injectors ticking away at idle. She starts right up with zero problems now. So far the lowest temps have only been 27F but I have no reason to think It wont fire well below that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
450,000 miles on injectors? That's impressive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that a record? I'm stoked with how she runs now.....like new. It looks like I'll eventually need another set of injectors to make it to my million mile goal. Fired right up at 18F yesterday. We are supposed to be in the single digits next week. I'm actually looking forward to it now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts