Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum Members,

I have an Australian Ford delivered 03 F250 with the 7.3 PSD with 250,000km/155,000mile on the clock - I believe my 7.3 this is the same as the US 99-03 engine. It is pretty much stock apart from a few minor mods like IAH element removed, EBP valve removed, 5" exhaust and hi flow air cleaner. I did have a Gearhead Automotive Performance chip plugged in however I removed it about 12months ago as I would like to address the P1211 code that I am currently seeing.

I regularly tow a 4.5T/10,000lb trailer and am finding its throwing the P1211 when towing. Prior to removing the performance chip, I would see the P1211 code regularly when towing. Since removing the chip, the P1211 code is less frequent, however I do still see it occasionally. I only ever see the p1211 code during lengthy pulls up hills at 100% engine load with the trailer on. Never have I seen it when driving without the trailer, even when the chip was installed.

I have the Edge Insight CTS2 display so I can see during the P1211 events HPOP Regulator % slowly climb and sometimes go beyond 50% for a period and I suspect this triggers the code and engine service light. I also monitor the injection control press and it sits in the 2500-3000psi range. It only ever throws the p1211 code on its own (no other codes thrown at the same time).

It has a relatively new ICP sensor and IPR (I replaced them with the hope of correcting the issue). I have cleaned the fuel pick up strainers since reading a forum article mentioning a remote link between blocked strainers and the p1211 code. The HPOP, lines and connections are not leaking. Engine performance and overall appearance seems healthy otherwise. Over the course of all this I have had to replace the HPOP (was leaking into the engine valley) and I have not noticed a difference between the old pump and the new pump in terms of the P1211 code going off.

I have been doing some further reading and am now suspecting that I might benefit from a larger volume HPOP such as the Adrenaline HPOP.

Is this a common issue with the 7.3 PSDs when towing decent loads? Has anyone else come across this issue? Is there something I am missing here?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I have been pulling my hair out on this for a while.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Your numbers look good.

Gearhead might not disable the p1211 from popping up.

Every once in awhile p1211 will pop up from low fuel pressure.

Any smoke or egt issues?

You shouldn't need a larger hpop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Blue99Stroker,
No Smoke - white or black.
I don't know about the EGT's, I have not had the chance to install the probe yet - do you think I should?

Just on the Gearhead - I haven't had it installed for a while and I still occasionally get the P1211 without the chip installed. I might also go back to gearhead and query them on disabling the p1211 code.

If you suspect it may be fuel pressure, maybe I need to look at putting in a gauge to have a look at that. Would I be looking for the fuel pressure at the outlet of the pump mounted on the chassis rail?

Thanks for your help.
Cheers, Michael

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Your numbers look good.

Gearhead might not disable the p1211 from popping up.

Every once in awhile p1211 will pop up from low fuel pressure.

Any smoke or egt issues?

You shouldn't need a larger hpop.
FYI... the P1211 code is not a low fuel pressure code... its a ICP too low/high of value desired

To OP... your getting this code more often with the programmer hooked up because your stock HPOP cant keep up with the tunes that are trying to throw the extra fuel.. Its pretty normal occurrence for a stock HPOP that's worn down and you try and tap in extra performance out of it.. EDIT: BTW if your IPR % is exceeding 50 % than its definitely worn out a little bit but not terribly.. if I were you I would ride it out a little longer before swapping it out cause it still has life in it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I know this is an old thread, but what ever happened with this problem? 2001 7.3 totally stock with same code thrown when towing even a light load up a hill...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, since my last reply, I ended up installing the fuel pressure gauge (no issues with pressure as expected) and made up a gauge and plug to dead head test the HPOP. Dead head test with 1) no cyl head connected, 2) RHS cyl head connected and 3) LHS cyl head connected (with ICP sensor disconnected) looked good with pump producing plenty of pressure. This confirmed no gross leaks and pump made good pressure. At this point then I took the punt on the problem being that standard HPOP was not able to keep up with the volume so I installed an Adrenaline HPOP. I have not seen the fault since (warning light and P1211 fault code), IPR % stays well below 50%. And that was over 1yr ago. Truck has done plenty of work towing a 10,000lb trailer up long ranges so I am quite confident this has addressed the problem. Since this, I have also spoken to others here in Aus and it appears this problem is quite common.
Cheers, Michael

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an older thread and I am a brand new member so I apologize but I wanted to ask if any current active members have experienced this issue and resolved with higher volume HPOP. From what I have read, worn out HPOP is very common especially as our trucks continue to age. I had a hard time finding any reports from people throwing P1211 only under heavy load with no noticeable symptoms other than the brief check engine light. I'm starting to wonder if because the CEL illumination is only brief and there are no drivability issues that the condition is often ignored. It also appears that many people blame the issue on a tune even though (as far as I can tell) the tune is only making the condition more apparent because of the higher demand for flow from the injectors.

I have these exact symptoms and have ordered a CNCfab Stage 2 HPOP. Hopefully it will ship soon and I can install it this weekend and I will report back if it solves my issue or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts