Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ford f250 7.3 powerstroke deisel
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 ford f250 7.3 deisel I just recently put new injector o rings in and re sealed my hpop and put a new ipr valve in and a new icp sensor and now it takes forever for my truck to fire and when it does fire I have a p1209 and a p1211 code so when I plug my snapon legend scanner into my truck and watch the pressure it shows 2400 psi at idle with a 5% duty rate and when I unplug the icp sensor it drops down to 700 psi at idle could this be a bad ipr or a bad hpop or is my ecm going bad

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
Well,,,, I would want to get a gauge on it for an actual ICP pressure reading to see if it agrees with what the ICP is reporting. If you had a stuck IPR, the pressure might be as high as 2400psi despite the low % reading it's being sent by the PCM. And remember, what you're reading is just that, the Command from the PCM, not what the IPR might actually be doing. So, the pressure is high enough (really way too High for idle) to satisfy the PCMs requirements so it responds by sending the minimum % to the IPR.

If the ICP is reporting 2400 at idle and the actual pressure, from a gauge, is 4-700 at idle then the ICP is Bad. If the pressure really is 2400 at idle then the IPR is the problem because it's too Closed (high %) and not bellding-off the pressure it should for the conditions at idle...

If you replace either sensor, DO NOT BUY Aftermarket sensors for your truck. They may be cheaper but will cause you problems in the long-run ;)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I have a 2003 ford f250 7.3 deisel I just recently put new injector o rings in and re sealed my hpop and put a new ipr valve in and a new icp sensor and now it takes forever for my truck to fire and when it does fire I have a p1209 and a p1211 code so when I plug my snapon legend scanner into my truck and watch the pressure it shows 2400 psi at idle with a 5% duty rate and when I unplug the icp sensor it drops down to 700 psi at idle could this be a bad ipr or a bad hpop or is my ecm going bad
How many miles have you driven since opening up the HPO system? It can take as much as 20 miles of driving to purge the air from the HPO.

·
Registered
2003 ford f250 7.3 powerstroke deisel
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well,,,, I would want to get a gauge on it for an actual ICP pressure reading to see if it agrees with what the ICP is reporting. If you had a stuck IPR, the pressure might be as high as 2400psi despite the low % reading it's being sent by the PCM. And remember, what you're reading is just that, the Command from the PCM, not what the IPR might actually be doing. So, the pressure is high enough (really way too High for idle) to satisfy the PCMs requirements so it responds by sending the minimum % to the IPR.

If the ICP is reporting 2400 at idle and the actual pressure, from a gauge, is 4-700 at idle then the ICP is Bad. If the pressure really is 2400 at idle then the IPR is the problem because it's too Closed (high %) and not bellding-off the pressure it should for the conditions at idle...

If you replace either sensor, DO NOT BUY Aftermarket sensors for your truck. They may be cheaper but will cause you problems in the long-run ;)
Thank you for the info I'll put another ipr valve in this weekend that came out of my spare motor and try the icp sensor to and let you know this weekend if it fixes it I was worried it might be my pcm going bad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts