Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Threw a P1149 last week. It appeared after cold startup. The truck runs fine. I cleared the code and it did not return until startup this morning. I cleared it again and it's still off. Any ideas?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It came on during cold start again this morning. I shut her down and cleared the code. Started her again and no code. I'm puzzled. It threw the code during the first minute or so the glow plugs are stealing juice; why?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the upper alternator #2? I was under the impression that the lower unit was #2; am i wrong?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, the CEL used to come on intermittently, now it’s every time I start the truck. My Scan Gauge shows the voltage as mid to high 13 volts when running. Batteries are about 2 years old and are factory batteries. Does anyone have any experience with this code that can point me in the right direction? I’ve done an extensive web search and haven’t come up with much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,450 Posts
I don't see that code for an alternator, you sure on the P1149?

P1149 Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 Circuit Range/Performance -- o2 sensor

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked voltage at startup. Both batteries are charging at 13.88 (passenger) and 13.79 (driver).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: I noticed some corrosion on the driver’s side positive battery terminal, so I took everything apart to clean it. The terminal has been devoured by the corrosion and needs to be replaced. I’m guessing this might be the culprit.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another update: I have not yet replaced the harness, but will in the next couple of weeks.

The truck started without issue the first couple of days after cleaning the terminal, but ultimately threw the code again. I have been allowing the truck to sit for a full minute, key on, until the volts jump back up after the glow plug cycle. Since doing this, I have not thrown the code. It’s been a couple of weeks now. Anyone have any idea why?

·
Premium Member
3,450 Posts
Where to start … the post is bent sideways and the case seal is compromised -- acid will continue to wick up the post -- I wouldn't be surprised if the inside of the cable connection where it meets the post is already corroded

New battery and cable is needed -- the code may be from voltage loss(connection) to the battery

Use the chemical pads under the connection, they help a little

Reactions: piperca

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, the post was caused by the shop that installed the battery a couple of years ago. They left the plastic handle on top of the battery, before putting the cover in place. The handle reduced the amount of room on the post, so they obviously forced the terminal down to get it to seat. The post broke loose from stress. I only noticed it when I cleaned the terminal.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, I finally got around to repairing the battery terminal and replacing the batteries, but I'm still having the same issue. If I try to start the truck normally, I get the code. If I let the truck sit for a full minute, with the key on/engine off, the truck doesn't throw the code when started.

Does anyone know the proper procedure for checking the dual alternator system?

Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts