Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thats just it driving down the road and everything fails for a split second not even enough to kill it then reads p0344 but ive narrowed it down to the rain!!! please help stroker gurus!!! on another note if i were to change the ebps and tube will the valve start working again?

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
Change your CPS cam position sensor. mine did the same thing untill I changed it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well any other day i would think that but its super wierd it has done that with the last three cps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think maybe a spare cps in the glove box is in order maybe?!?

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
That is wierd. I changed mine and it stopped doing it. are you using the new cps? I think its black

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah the last one was black the guys at napa said it was a new style supposed to cure the prob. I don't know if its urban legend but ive heard some where about rain running down the side of the windshield and dripping down the firewall onto the ecm or something? could be crap but i though of taking it all out and dielectric greasing all the plugs ? i dunno i thought maybe others have had the problem. i thought it was super strange that it does it when it rains.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
is the main computer itself getting wet?
i had an old tacoma that would shift weird in the rain, turned out the windshield was leaking onto the computer.
i found this out after spending 4g's on a tranny overhaul.
:doh:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same problem. As soon as it starts to rain.....roads not even wet, engine begins to miss. If the convertor is locked up it will restart......If not locked up it will stall. I have the CPS P0344 code........The current CPS is less then a month old! My current feeling is that the problem is in the harness. Plan on unplugging each conector, inspecting and cleaning. I do not believe it is the CPS but rather the harness leading to the CPS.

Oh yeah.........its raining now!

Dave

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
I think it's the windshield. It seems these trucks had a bad problem with sealing the windshield.

·
Premium Member
8,420 Posts
The issue was determined to have to do with electrical interference from the Wiper Motor. This effected only a small number of CPS/Wiper Motor combinations and I'm not sure anybody knows what the Exact cause was, why some do and some don't, but the original Black CPS and some motors were the most "unhappy" with each other ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok Thanks my 99 misses out without the wipers on. I don't even have to be driving. Like it has ran great all week. Now that the rain came in last night I went to start this morning and it started the missing. I have change the valve cover gasket wiring, switched IDM. Don't think it is a cps because I'm not driving down the road , but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,420 Posts
Yea, "driving down the road" has nothing to do with it, the CPS issue has been more about Heat (fails as it get hot) than anything else. But, it's cheap enough to try one ;)

The UVCH / IDM were a good try, do you get the P0344? Has the SES light be coming on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I only have the cheap OBM reader and won't pull a code I had a shop run one about six moths ago and got a 1316 left bank. witch led me to the IDM and valve cover, The SES light does come on when missing but will come and go sometimes when running without even turning off. But when dry and running good no SES light. Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had the exact same issue....did the exact same thing....even the dielectric grease. Bought 3 different cps, two from advanced, one from Napa.....none worked! Bought one from INTERNATIONAL, problem solved!

·
Registered
6 Posts
No I checked under hood and was dry. Also when truck was running right I took water hose and let run over driver side windshield while truck was running and nothing it ran fine, I just changed the cam sensor and it is missing different now so im guessing I got a bad one, im going to check plug on it and try another one tomorrow.

·
Registered
143 Posts
No I checked under hood and was dry. Also when truck was running right I took water hose and let run over driver side windshield while truck was running and nothing it ran fine, I just changed the cam sensor and it is missing different now so im guessing I got a bad one, im going to check plug on it and try another one tomorrow.
Yeah, it's not the water, it's the wiper motor. Sounds crazy I know.

·
Registered
104 Posts
mine did this with wipers on intermediate or during light rain get cps from dealer is 25-30 bucks cheaper than part store solve all problems

1 - 20 of 26 Posts