Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post.

I have an 03 6.0L with 290k miles. I recently had an issue where the truck was idling like ****, lost power, wouldn't really go into boost. A very long story short, I only had 32psi fuel pressure, so the fuel filter housing, all o-rings, and OEM blue spring mod were done to the truck. I now have 65psi holding steady.

I took the truck out for a little test drive, noticed a lot more black smoke than I remember. It only happened when going into boost. Everything seemed fine though, numbers wise according to OBD2 data. I used forscan app to run KOER tests, and it passed except P1000 DTC readiness code. I figured the black smoke was because it was still learning, so I took it out for another test drive and put about 10 miles on it. The smoking never went away, and I think I pissed off a few people who were behind me in convertibles.

Anyways, I get back to my driveway, run the codes, and I am getting P0272 Cyl #4 contribution\balance, as well as P132B turbo boost control codes. I got these codes before when the truck was running like **** on 30psi fuel pressure. I hoped that it would go away but it seems they are back.

My question: is my Cyl #4 injector ****ed? What other tests should I do to verify it is no good? If I have to go down the route of changing out the injector, what else should i change while i'm in there?

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Low fuel pressure will destroy injectors in a hurry. Given your story, I wouldn't doubt that #4 is bad. This does not necessarily explain black smoke. Black smoke is usually caused by loss of boost or not enough boost for the amount of fuel being dumped....but there's other things that can cause it.
It is free to do a bubble test and inspect cac pipes and boots.
If you decide to go after the injector, I'd do the whole bank. It's to much of a pita to do one injector at a time. I just did my #2, 4 & 6 (#8 was done last fall), sure did change the way the truck runs. I do still need to do the "odd" bank.
BTW, getting 200k out of a set of 6.0 injectors is pretty good.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.