Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 F350 6.7 that has recently been d** and t***** with GDP ezlynk tunes. The truck has been used off road only. While using the 0-150 SOTF, 0-170 SOTF, banana smoothies, and rampage tunes at the higher level like 4th and 5th position on the switch I get the low fuel rail pressure P0087 code at WOT. Truck will continue to run fine and I just continue to clear the code and keep going. It’s getting really damn annoying. From the 10+ forums/discussions I’ve read they all seem to come down to the HPFP but some I’ve seen be the LPFP. I know that the HPFP is known to explode and send metal through the fuel system. I’m just confused as to what I should do first? Dual fuelers? New HPFP? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would definitely contribute it to a tuning problem. I had my HPFP go out on my '16 F350 DRW with only 52k miles on it last year on a camping trip to NC. I replaced my fuel filters every oil change (7,500), always used name brand fuel (mainly Shell), and am religious about maintenance. Still happened to me and extremely early. The tell-tale sign is metal flakes in the filter bowl mounted on the frame. You see shiny things in there, you're screwed. Once that happened, I threw away the entire stock fuel system. They're actually good pumps, just not compatible with our ULSD here in the states. Bosche tested the pump overseas where they have different fuel standards at a much high lubricity level. I would highly recommend you use a good fuel additive - like Hot Shot's Secret EDT with LX4 - with every fill-up and install a disaster prevention kit. I was using Diesel Kleen when it happened and will never suggest them. The guys at Hot Shot's Secret know their stuff and make a really reliable product. The LX4 was specifically formulated for this Bosche CP4 issue. Another factor that helps contribute is the lift pump. Tiny air bubbles are sent to HPFP from it causing friction over time. If you could, I would replace with an AirDog of FASS but definitely install the kit I mentioned above. It will save you a bunch of money and heartache if/when it does decide to take a crap on you.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would definitely contribute it to a tuning problem. I had my HPFP go out on my '16 F350 DRW with only 52k miles on it last year on a camping trip to NC. I replaced my fuel filters every oil change (7,500), always used name brand fuel (mainly Shell), and am religious about maintenance. Still happened to me and extremely early. The tell-tale sign is metal flakes in the filter bowl mounted on the frame. You see shiny things in there, you're screwed. Once that happened, I threw away the entire stock fuel system. They're actually good pumps, just not compatible with our ULSD here in the states. Bosche tested the pump overseas where they have different fuel standards at a much high lubricity level. I would highly recommend you use a good fuel additive - like Hot Shot's Secret EDT with LX4 - with every fill-up and install a disaster prevention kit. I was using Diesel Kleen when it happened and will never suggest them. The guys at Hot Shot's Secret know their stuff and make a really reliable product. The LX4 was specifically formulated for this Bosche CP4 issue. Another factor that helps contribute is the lift pump. Tiny air bubbles are sent to HPFP from it causing friction over time. If you could, I would replace with an AirDog of FASS but definitely install the kit I mentioned above. It will save you a bunch of money and heartache if/when it does decide to take a crap on you.

I use hot shot secret at every fill up since I got the truck at 167k miles which is a bit late in it’s life. After changing the fuel filter on frame I did see 1 or 2 metal flakes in the bottom. I’m gonna order a disaster prevention kit now. Back to performance and the p0087 code. Should I contact the tuner and let them test and turn down the fuel in my tune or do I need to upgrade my fuel system, HPFP and LPFP.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I use hot shot secret at every fill up since I got the truck at 167k miles which is a bit late in it’s life. After changing the fuel filter on frame I did see 1 or 2 metal flakes in the bottom. I’m gonna order a disaster prevention kit now. Back to performance and the p0087 code. Should I contact the tuner and let them test and turn down the fuel in my tune or do I need to upgrade my fuel system, HPFP and LPFP.

I can't remember what code mine was throwing when I first started having issues. It would put it in limp mode, I would delete it, and then it would happen again a little later. Mainly when I was going through the mountains and up a hill. If you have flakes in your filter bowl, I hate to tell you this but it's already too late. Those shavings have contaminated your whole system already a the kit won't do any good. It sounds Ike you're having the exact same issues I encountered when mine went out. It's only a matter of time now. I bought every set of fuel filters I could find and changed them every time I had to fill up trying to make it back home. I made it to Slidell, Louisiana before she finally said no more and had to have a buddy of mine come with his trailer

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't remember what code mine was throwing when I first started having issues. It would put it in limp mode, I would delete it, and then it would happen again a little later. Mainly when I was going through the mountains and up a hill. If you have flakes in your filter bowl, I hate to tell you this but it's already too late. Those shavings have contaminated your whole system already a the kit won't do any good. It sounds Ike you're having the exact same issues I encountered when mine went out. It's only a matter of time now. I bought every set of fuel filters I could find and changed them every time I had to fill up trying to make it back home. I made it to Slidell, Louisiana before she finally said no more and had to have a buddy of mine come with his trailer

Mine only throws the p0087 at wot on the hotter tunes, it has never shut off on me but will go into limp mode. “Exhaust filter over limit”

·
Registered
482 Posts
Mine only throws the p0087 at wot on the hotter tunes, it has never shut off on me but will go into limp mode. “Exhaust filter over limit”

Yeah, mine wouldn't shut off on me and would only go into limp mode. I had it on position 5 and started about every hour or two but only under a load. Mainly going up a steep hill which would relate to WOT. It started about halfway in my trip to NC. I replaced the fuel filters and it cleared up for a while but would start again. Once I got to NC, I took it to a shop and that's when I found out the culprit I had suspected. Finished my camping trip, since I hardly drove, and then bought like six sets of fuel filters for the drive back to change at every fill-up. It only got worse and would get harder and harder to start (shavings clogging everything up). I babied it as much as I could once going up and down hills since I knew what would happen. She finally shut completely down on me when I rolled into Louisiana almost causing me to wreck. Truck was still on but I had no throttle whatsoever. Pulled onto the shoulder, finally, and then I regained throttle so I limped to the nearest hotel, and already had my buddy on the way with the trailer. If I was a betting man, I would be willing to bet the same thing is going on with yours. I know that's not something you want to hear but everything lines up. Just be blessed you made it as far as you have. Mine was at only 52k miles and anyone who knows me knows I am extremely particular with my vehicles and maintenance. It's a poor design for our fuel here in the states and they know it. There are several class action lawsuits related to this topic ongoing right now

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, mine wouldn't shut off on me and would only go into limp mode. I had it on position 5 and started about every hour or two but only under a load. Mainly going up a steep hill which would relate to WOT. It started about halfway in my trip to NC. I replaced the fuel filters and it cleared up for a while but would start again. Once I got to NC, I took it to a shop and that's when I found out the culprit I had suspected. Finished my camping trip, since I hardly drove, and then bought like six sets of fuel filters for the drive back to change at every fill-up. It only got worse and would get harder and harder to start (shavings clogging everything up). I babied it as much as I could once going up and down hills since I knew what would happen. She finally shut completely down on me when I rolled into Louisiana almost causing me to wreck. Truck was still on but I had no throttle whatsoever. Pulled onto the shoulder, finally, and then I regained throttle so I limped to the nearest hotel, and already had my buddy on the way with the trailer. If I was a betting man, I would be willing to bet the same thing is going on with yours. I know that's not something you want to hear but everything lines up. Just be blessed you made it as far as you have. Mine was at only 52k miles and anyone who knows me knows I am extremely particular with my vehicles and maintenance. It's a poor design for our fuel here in the states and they know it. There are several class action lawsuits related to this topic ongoing right now

In other words I need to be looking for a new high pressure fuel pump and injectors.

·
Registered
482 Posts
In other words I need to be looking for a new high pressure fuel pump and injectors.

It's more than that, your entire fuel system is compromised. Fuel rails, lines, sensors, tank, injectors, everything. I was able to get away with having my rails flushed really well and injectors taken apart and cleaned but everything else was replaced; except my fuel tank. You can drain and flush that to get the metal out of course. When I replaced it, I installed a disaster prevention kit and upgraded everything. RCD 10mm stroker pump, AirDog 165 II 4g lift pump, Deviant Race sump, FASS filter delete, et cetera, et cetera. I just took the opportunity to upgraded everything. Happened a lot sooner than I was hoping for but was planning on it anyways. Take it to a shop and they can test the fuel system but I'm pretty sure that's going to be your issue. Too many similarities with what happened to me. If you're able to, I would take the opportunity to upgrade what you can. Stock injectors are good and can take a decent amount of power. Would definitely recommend a FASS or AirDog lift pump and disaster prevention kit. Anything else would be dependent upon your ultimate power goals

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's more than that, your entire fuel system is compromised. Fuel rails, lines, sensors, tank, injectors, everything. I was able to get away with having my rails flushed really well and injectors taken apart and cleaned but everything else was replaced; except my fuel tank. You can drain and flush that to get the metal out of course. When I replaced it, I installed a disaster prevention kit and upgraded everything. RCD 10mm stroker pump, AirDog 165 II 4g lift pump, Deviant Race sump, FASS filter delete, et cetera, et cetera. I just took the opportunity to upgraded everything. Happened a lot sooner than I was hoping for but was planning on it anyways. Take it to a shop and they can test the fuel system but I'm pretty sure that's going to be your issue. Too many similarities with what happened to me. If you're able to, I would take the opportunity to upgrade what you can. Stock injectors are good and can take a decent amount of power. Would definitely recommend a FASS or AirDog lift pump and disaster prevention kit. Anything else would be dependent upon your ultimate power goals

Okay, the truck has been doing this for the past 6k miles since I did the lightweight mod that’s why I’m on the fence. It never did it bone stock. I guess now the only thing to do is look into the hpfp and see if there is metal in it and go from there. If there is then I’ll probably flush my lines/rails and get the injectors cleaned along with a new HPFP and fass LPFP.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Okay, the truck has been doing this for the past 6k miles since I did the lightweight mod that’s why I’m on the fence. It never did it bone stock. I guess now the only thing to do is look into the hpfp and see if there is metal in it and go from there. If there is then I’ll probably flush my lines/rails and get the injectors cleaned along with a new HPFP and fass LPFP.

Originally, I was contributing it to your tune but once you said you had metal flakes in your filter bowl, that changed it for me. Metal flakes are indicative of a HPFP failure and everything else you're experiencing falls right into line with what I went through

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
If your HPFP isn’t toast, then your tunes are just calling for more fuel than the stock setup can supply.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If your HPFP isn’t toast, then your tunes are just calling for more fuel than the stock setup can supply.
Understood that’s why I’m gonna look in my HPFP just to confirm that it’s toast.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally, I was contributing it to your tune but once you said you had metal flakes in your filter bowl, that changed it to me. Metal flakes is indicative of a HPFP failure and everything else you're experiencing falls right into line with what I went through

I sent you a PM.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Understood that’s why I’m gonna look in my HPFP just to confirm that it’s toast.
Here’s a thread on another forum with pics of metal shavings at the pump:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Right there should point you to your tunes, you're deleted but yet you're getting exhaust filter over limit. You might be making too much of something simple, however if you saw metal flakes, you're probably f'ed already.

Reactions: bc_vickers

·
Registered
482 Posts
Right there should point you to your tunes, you're deleted but yet you're getting exhaust filter over limit. You might be making too much of something simple, however if you saw metal flakes, you're probably f'ed already.
You would think and I thought the same thing when mine started acting up. Called my tuners and all kinds of stuff but it wasn't tune related at all. I can't remember the exact code it was throwing but I know of others who had this code and it ended up being the HPFP. Once he said metal shavings, I knew what it was

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Granted most of my experience with CAN systems is in ag equipment and the such but in a general sense some codes that get thrown have nothing to do with stuff that the code is showing, i.e. the exhaust filter over limit but could be fuel pump related. CAN systems are very sensitive to voltage and the route the voltage takes. It can create major headaches.

Reactions: wellsf and UR2EZ

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Really the only way to find out I guess is to take apart the hpfp and see what’s inside.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts