Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a 06 F250 with 130k miles and had the sinister diesel complete solutions kit w/EGR delete put on it recently. The oil temp easily gets over 200° on flat ground and gets up to 215° When going up grades and the outside temp is usually below 40°. It’s clear to see that as the temperature goes up during spring and summer I’m going to have over heating issues. I’m trying to get this resolved ASAP. Does anyone have any advice on what I could do next?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Hello everyone, I have a 06 F250 with 130k miles and had the sinister diesel complete solutions kit w/EGR delete put on it recently. The oil temp easily gets over 200° on flat ground and gets up to 215° When going up grades and the outside temp is usually below 40°. It’s clear to see that as the temperature goes up during spring and summer I’m going to have over heating issues. I’m trying to get this resolved ASAP. Does anyone have any advice on what I could do next?
I hate to bring you bad news but there are a lot of us here that don't have anything good to say about Sinister. The oil coolers pretty much suck and the EGR delete ain't far behind. I'd be working on a BPD air to oil cooler or maybe call Sinister and give them what for. For me the giving what for usually results in me cursing someone until they just hang up and block me from calling. But I just don't have a tolerance for junk.

k

·
Registered
13 Posts
Need to know what the coolant temp is. Oil and coolant temp should not be more then 10 to 12 degrees different with a warm motor at 65 mph on flat land. If more than 15 you need to change oil cooler.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need to know what the coolant temp is. Oil and coolant temp should not be more then 10 to 12 degrees different with a warm motor at 65 mph on flat land. If more than 15 you need to change oil cooler.
Theres usually a 15-20 degree difference. My only issue with that is I just had a new oil cooler and screen put in. It came with the kit from sinister

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Theres usually a 15-20 degree difference. My only issue with that is I just had a new oil cooler and screen put in. It came with the kit from sinister
Like @kcoyner said - many on here have reported those exact deltas right out of the box from the Sinister and other "upgraded" oil coolers that weren't OEM or BPD. Don't quote me, but I believe the problem lies with the larger passages creating faster/more flow. Unfortunately, this doesn't allow enough time for heat transfer, resulting in reduced effective cooling and higher deltas.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a new OEM or BPD oil cooler is the only way to fix this...

-jokester

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I personally would not want the high deltas after the oil cooler swap, just because I would have swapped because the deltas were high and wanted low deltas. There's probably at least a few hundred Sinister Oil cooler kits out there, and whether or not the higher oil temps will harm the truck, I don't know, but would not want to find out with my truck. If you called them up, they would say something like its a high capacity oil cooler, so the temps could easily be 25° delta right out of the box and tell you its perfectly normal. You could probably guarantee yourself that no damage to the truck would happen that could be blamed on Sinister that is beyond the shadow of a doubt. Not saying that damage couldn't happen, just you would not get them to take responsibility for it.

With that, its how much risk you want to take versus leaving that thing in there. For different reasons, I got the air cooled oil cooler for my truck and I am very happy.

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,099 Posts
Put an OEM cooler in. Sinister is junk. They sued people for using the color blue, you can see where their priorities are.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I'm not a fan of sinister either...but assuming it's new and not defective which is less likely, did you do a good flush? If not, you may of clogged up the new cooler. Just a thought. I couldn't imagine the aggravation if I had to tear all that back down again.

·
Super Moderator
28,718 Posts
I'm not a fan of sinister either...but assuming it's new and not defective which is less likely, did you do a good flush? If not, you may of clogged up the new cooler. Just a thought. I couldn't imagine the aggravation if I had to tear all that back down again.
Jokster said don't quote him LOL but this is the real issue if you buy the sinister branded cooler

. Don't quote me, but I believe the problem lies with the larger passages creating faster/more flow. Unfortunately, this doesn't allow enough time for heat transfer, resulting in reduced effective cooling and higher deltas.

-jokester

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I am on board with SINISTER/CHINA junk.

Sinister is known for producing sub par products. Look at it this way, they take a piece of sh*t and powdercoat it to make it look nice. Under the blue it is still a piece of sh*t.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts