Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I already know the answer just wanted some other input. HEADGASKETS?
no coolant to be found from leaking, has egr delete,custum tune (economy)
My son was driveing on hiway, guage started to show overheat,said alot of black smoke was coming out, pulled over and parked it, when I got to it I found no signs of coolant leak, oil dipstick was overfull but was still black like oil, the oil seamed thin, put in 3 gallons of coolant and tried to start, no start
,seemed like it was turning over faster than normal ,
anyone with any thoughts will be appreciated

1,023 Posts
Oil was thin-indication of leaking injectors. Thin oil will keep these trucks from starting since it severely messes with viscosity and thats what injectors need to fire is oil pressure. 500psi minimum.

no coolant but was there ANY stains on anything in the engine bay? i have had head gasket trucks come in looking like it was washed with coolant the whole underside of the truck the drivers side and everything in the engine bay SOAKED with coolant when it dried left stains.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil was thin-indication of leaking injectors. Thin oil will keep these trucks from starting since it severely messes with viscosity and thats what injectors need to fire is oil pressure. 500psi minimum.

no coolant but was there ANY stains on anything in the engine bay? i have had head gasket trucks come in looking like it was washed with coolant the whole underside of the truck the drivers side and everything in the engine bay SOAKED with coolant when it dried left stains.
no evidence in engine bay of any coolant, I would think it would still be wet I looked at it within a couple of hours of overheating, could the coolant have gotton in the oil causing it to thin out? except the fact that the oil is still black and not milky is what I dont get. could the coolant over a period of time go out the exhaust? but i never seen any white smoke,although I wasnt driveing it for the last 400+ miles

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
no evidence in engine bay of any coolant, I would think it would still be wet I looked at it within a couple of hours of overheating, could the coolant have gotton in the oil causing it to thin out?
Nope. Not really.
except the fact that the oil is still black and not milky is what I dont get.
Like powestroketech said, the oil is thinned out by diesel fuel from a leaking injector. Diesel mixes with oil rather nicely. Coolant will make a milky mess.
could the coolant over a period of time go out the exhaust? but i never seen any white smoke,although I wasnt driveing it for the last 400+ miles
Yes, and that is likely what has happened to your coolant.
Where is the coolant leaking?
Probably out of your EGR cooler. Easy way to find out if that is the case is park the truck on an incline, nose down. Pull the egr valve and leave the truck like this overnight. In the morning, look down into the hole where the egr valve sits. See any moisture? If so, your EGR cooler has failed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my egr and egr cooler was deleted over a year ago, I looked at the by pass hose for the cooler delete and it wasnt wet or any were around there

1,023 Posts
head gaskets that bad to drain the entire coolant system is unlikely if it emptied a bottle during the event, thats a cracked head or block and if thats the case your oil would not be black it would look like a vanilla milkshake 7.3s do that sh!t when they crack a block and the oil gets contaminated by coolant and only run for about 10 minutes tops at a time.

I think a hose popped or came lose fill it with water after you change your oil (highly suggested) and fire it up see what happens.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
head gaskets that bad to drain the entire coolant system is unlikely if it emptied a bottle during the event, thats a cracked head or block and if thats the case your oil would not be black it would look like a vanilla milkshake 7.3s do that sh!t when they crack a block and the oil gets contaminated by coolant and only run for about 10 minutes tops at a time.

I think a hose popped or came lose fill it with water after you change your oil (highly suggested) and fire it up see what happens.
changed oil but still will not start, the oil pressure doesnt come up while cranking either,
when i took the oil filter out the plastic on the top of filter was melted along with the plastic guide thing that goes with the spring

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Oh crap!!!!!!!!

Thats pretty bad. It got overheated super bad then. Rumor is that the standpipe starts to melt at 350 degrees. Now it's put melted plastic all thru the oil system, and you've ran extremely hot oil thru your HPOP and injectors.

The engine is probably toast.

By the way, red ELC coolant will not make as much of a milky milkshake like normal green or yellow anti-freeze. Coolant/water is heavier then oil so it will be sitting at the bottom of the oil pan. You see any signs of that when you changed the oil? I'm wondering if your oil cooler didn't rupture and put all your coolant in the oil.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Now that I think about it a ruptured oil cooler should have put oil in the coolant, at least while it was running. Is the coolant system staying full now that you topped it back off? Do you have any way to pressurize the coolant system?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now that I think about it a ruptured oil cooler should have put oil in the coolant, at least while it was running. Is the coolant system staying full now that you topped it back off? Do you have any way to pressurize the coolant system?
nothing has leaked out anywhere, I put three gallons back in it, the plastic wasnt melted into liquid it was distorted and brittle, I have no way to presurize it at this time

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
WOW thats bad.....

Id start calling for an engine...
Ugh, he's probably right.... Regardless of how bad it's melted that thing got pretty darn hot.

Just for the heck of it I'd pull the oil filter back out. Hold down the drainback valve in the bottom of the filter and try cranking the engine over. You should have oil start spraying out into the filter within 3-5 seconds of cranking. If it does, then somethings happened in the high pressure oil system. If no oil comes out then you have lower end problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts