Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 6.0. The truck runs perfectly when driving under normal conditions but when pulling i lose antifreeze out of the resivior and coolant temp will spike to hot. May stay there for seconds or even maybe a minute then it will fall back to normal as fast as it spiked up. Only does this when pulling in hills or taking off with a heavy load. Running down highway on flat ground its fine too. I have changed the resivior cap and truck is supposed to have an egr delete kit on it (not sure how to verify that). About to change the thermostat. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Do you have a monitor (edge insight) yet? Ill bet your oil cooler is getting clogged up...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i don't have a monitor. Is there a site you recommend i can go to to see how to clean the oil cooler?

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Theirs guys on here that know a lot more than I do but sadly theirs not much hope in just cleaning the cooler. But first check out the scanguage II ($150-175), or if your lookin for a up grade check out the Edge Insight ($400+). These will show you what temps you are looking at between the oil and the coolant. Also search the bullet proofing the 6.0 on this site,or search clogged oil cooler or Ford Gold. That will give you a idea of whats goin on. Also have you ever changed out the coolant? Might wanna "search" that on here....your about to get know your truck, on a personal level.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Had a similar problem of puking coolant but didnt effect my temps. Make sure the coolant level in the Deagus bottle is no higher than the minimum level.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Def need to get a monitoring system bud. You can sometimes catch issues at their early stages.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got ad egde monitor yesterday. Eot and ect are running with in a few degrees on a 40 mile trip of mixed in town and highway driving. Biggest swing i saw was 7 degrees. I do get a diag code cant remember the # but it is something about exaust recircilation? I do have an egr delete, cold air intake, and a turbo back 4" exhuast. Not sure if any of these things would throw that code. I changed the thermostat and have not had spiking temps since but i haven't pulled any real heavy loads either. I'm still loosing coolant outta by resivior cap though. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Good to hear your temps are good, but something is causing your coolant to be pressurized. It sounds like you've looked at all the easy areas, but it's now most likely either your EGR cooler (delete?) has ruptured and/or your head gaskets have been blown. The head gaskets could have been compromised when the EGR delete was installed by the prior owner.

·
Registered
634 Posts
It sounds like your fan isn't coming on. Mine would do the same thing - overheat under load but fine otherwise. I'm changing my fan clutch this weekend.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
My truck was doing the exact same thing a few years ago (it would only overheat and blow out some coolant when towing my trailer up long or steep grades).

My fan would kick in just before the temp gauge would spike, so I would slow way down which would let the temp drop back down within 30 seconds then everything would be fine until I hit another long grade.

My problem did turn out to be a leaking egr cooler and leaking head gaskets, they were covered under warranty and I had the dealer install ARP headstuds when they put it back together and have had no more problems since :D

Also watch your turbo carefully because if you have any coolant blowing out the exhaust it will cause the turbo to start sticking!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
To the op, I have the exact same thing going on. I too have an egr delete, I'm starting the head gasket job next week. Chances are is thats your problem.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ugh that isnt what i wanted to hear. Unfortunately that is kinda what i expected to hear. I hope the dealer sticks to his word and will take care of the problem. I was leary of these trucks when i bought it and he assurred me they just have a bad rep. Said he'd take care of it if i had head gasket problems. Now 4 months later and 3k miles and here we are.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gents, I had the same problem with my 2006 Ford. The head gasket were bad and the diesel fuel started to fill in the coolant bottle. I dont believe the edge cts, cs, is going to read that. I could be wrong. I hope that helps. What I remember most was when I was pulling up hill, and when I wasn't it was normal, like around town.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Stud time unfortunately.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya looks like i've gotta bite the bullet and order parts. One question. How do i know if i need gaskets for 18mm or 20mm dowels? On the door of my truck it says mfg date is 1/06. The info i see says if mfg before 1-15-06 and another site says 1-11-06 you need the 18 and after these dates 20. So my question which of these dates are correct and how do i find the actual date to the day? Tx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts