Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Govy Magnet
714 Posts
I just use an indoor Grounded light timer. I have it go off 2 hours before I am going to leave the house for work, but I also run my extension chord under my garage door...that way I could use the indoor timer. Never had an issue. I do use an extension chord with a light in the plug that way I can tell if its on if I wake up earlier, and when I come out its nice to see that it has been on.

~Phil

P.S. :ORG welcome:

·
Premium Member
8,360 Posts
Make sure the contacts can handle the load though. I believe the draw is 1000w so, a 15A capacity should be what to look for to know it's gonna last ;)

·
Super Moderator
31,744 Posts
Yup you want a 15 amp outdoor timer.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Lowes has a nice programmable one for like $20.

·
Registered
827 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
is that indoor or outdoor?
Don't know exactly... I'm 99% sure it's rated to be outdoors, but I know it isn't water proof.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I use the timer from Lowe's like Zach mentioned. It's an indoor timer. But I also use an extension cord like Phil with the LED so I can look out to make sure it's on when I'm getting ready in the morning. The ideal time for plug in below 20° is 3 hours. Install a HPX and set the timer for 3 hours prior to leaving and you won't get the clatter and smoke.

·
Govy Magnet
714 Posts
Correct! 3 Hours is designated by Ford to warm enough at any temperature. I only start 2 Hours before, because it doesn't get that cold in the Desert, but cold enough that I like the starts better while plugged in!

~Phil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts