Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DCSpecial or anyone who knows. I've been looking at the traction bars and blocks for a future install on my truck and I noticed the following sentence under traction blocks which confuses me.

When adding the optional Adjustable Position Top Plates this allows you to change the axle position by shifting the rear axle forward 5/8" or 1 1/4" for better fenderwell clearance under full compression.
my confusion is in how it shifts the axle forward, doesn't that affect the drive shaft length? What am I missing or not understanding?

I like the idea of moving it forward a bit, right now my tires sit toward the back of the wheel well enough to where I don't have allot of clearance between the tire and where mudflaps would hang.

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
DCSpecial or anyone who knows. I've been looking at the traction bars and blocks for a future install on my truck and I noticed the following sentence under traction blocks which confuses me.

my confusion is in how it shifts the axle forward, doesn't that affect the drive shaft length? What am I missing or not understanding?

I like the idea of moving it forward a bit, right now my tires sit toward the back of the wheel well enough to where I don't have allot of clearance between the tire and where mudflaps would hang.

The OUO blocks have an adjustable center pin feature....in order to shift the axle and have the top plate line up, you need the adjustable position top plates.

Shifting the axle slightly has minimal effects to the driveline length....which is already extended further than stock with your 6" lift.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, seeing as how mine is already extended, I can still shift it forward with these top plates? Or will it be harder due to the fact that it's already extended?

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
With the OUO blocks/traction blocks and the top plates you can shift it forward to center the wheels without issue.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet, good to know. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Couple more questions if you don't mind. What's the benefit of the 0 degree versus 5 degree block? What will that exactly do to the stance or fit/function?

Since my vehicle has a 6in lift, I would be looking at a 6in traction block, correct?

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Couple more questions if you don't mind. What's the benefit of the 0 degree versus 5 degree block? What will that exactly do to the stance or fit/function?

Since my vehicle has a 6in lift, I would be looking at a 6in traction block, correct?

0* vs 5* sets your pinion angle. This varies based on what cab/bed config. you have as well as what year the truck is and the height of the truck.

For 08-09s with a 6" lift, we recommend the 5* block.

And for a 6" lift you can do a 6" to have it dead nuts level, or most do a 7".
Due to the body lines you normally want the rear a little bit higher to keep it from "appearing" low in the rear.
I would go with the 7" unless you want the truck perfectly level.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DC, Makes sense, so looking at this image, would you say it's perfectly level or a little higher in the rear?

·
Premium Member
10,013 Posts
I run the 6" OUO rear combo with the ICON 4.5" and 1" spacer up front and she sits pretty level.

DC what are your thoughts on the OUO rear u-bolts for those blocks? I was told that they don't strech like the OEM rear u-bolts. The reason I'm asking is I wanted to play around with the adjustable top plate.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I have the Icon 4.5 Coilover setup with an OUO 6" Traction block. I ordered a set of 7 inch traction blocks because im high in the front right now and want to be more level. I also ordered the adjustable plates. It should all be delivered today.

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
I run the 6" OUO rear combo with the ICON 4.5" and 1" spacer up front and she sits pretty level.

DC what are your thoughts on the OUO rear u-bolts for those blocks? I was told that they don't strech like the OEM rear u-bolts. The reason I'm asking is I wanted to play around with the adjustable top plate.
Yep, the 3/4" u-bolts can be torqued higher giving you more clamping force for the rear axle.

I have the Icon 4.5 Coilover setup with an OUO 6" Traction block. I ordered a set of 7 inch traction blocks because im high in the front right now and want to be more level. I also ordered the adjustable plates. It should all be delivered today.
Then you are taller than 4.5" of lift :D

4.5" will be level/very slightly higher rear with a 5" block.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I guess maybe I am but I have my coilovers at the lowest possible setting....

·
Registered
430 Posts
guys I just did mine and really I think you will love the the blocks let me get some pics together. Just did them two weeks ago!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts