Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to remove leveling kit

So I just bought a 2018 F250. I didn't notice it at the time but when I hooked up my camper I noticed the front was a little higher (even with my wdh), so I looked and sure enough, it had been leveled. 2" I think. Anyways, I am trying to remove the leveling kit, so I went to Ford to order the stock bolts and they could not get them for me, said I would need to buy the whole axle mount (or something) for $900.

So I was wondering if anyone has a spec on the bolts that are stock, or maybe still has theirs and they could get me some measurements that would be great. My next step, if this fails, is to order a cheap leveling kit and reverse engineer the bolts based on what they send me.

Anything helps! Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya it is easy for sure, only problem is the bolts that came with the kit are too long to put back on only the stock spacer. Once I get the stock bolt I'll have it done in about an hour.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are on the right track, get the bolt and you are set.
Ford will only sell the bolt as assembled with the whole axle assembly, they can't even tell me what size it is! Worthless! So I will order new bolts, just need the size, and specs. I know it is a 14mm. Not sure of it is x1.5 (fine thread) or x2 (regular threads), and not sure of the length but I think it is 40mm. Not sure what grade/class I need.

·
Administrator
21,624 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, you have a bolt with all the right specs and the wrong length.

Just take that bolt to a place like Fastenal and ask them to help you out.

https://www.fastenal.com/?utm_campaign=branded_adwords_newusers&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googleadwords&utm_content=september&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzvHHqJTk4gIVloTICh3zUAGdEAAYASAAEgKY__D_BwE
I have thought about that, I live in the country and it may take me a few days to get to Fastenal, just don't want my truck sitting on blocks for a few days. But it may come down to that on the end! Thanks!

·
Administrator
21,624 Posts
Depending on how long the shoulder is you could cut it down, but I wouldnt fool with front end components.
@fordsvtparts FYI

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking for someone who has recently done or is about to do a leveling kit for a 2017-2019 6.7L Superduty 4x4. I am needing the stock bolts from the spring seats so I can remove my leveling kit. I have the spacers at the bottom of the springs. I will gladly pay shipping and throw in a few extra bucks for your troubles if you would be so kind and ship those to me.

Thanks in advance brothers!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Can probably pick up two bolts at lowes or fastenal for just as cheap...
Gotta know the size and thread pitch.

I've been looking for bolts in the same situation as the OP. Taking out my spacer and putting in Icon 2.5" springs.

So far I have found that they are 14mm (dia), thread pitch unknown, but likely 1.5, which is normal coarse thread metric.

For a two inch spacer kit from Rough country the instructions say it includes a 14mm dia x 90 mm (length) new bolt.

So 90 mm minus 2 inches leaves you roughly 40 mm in length for the stock bolts.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Oh and the Ford dealership here (likely everywhere else too) is completely useless for this. Their computer only shows a ghost picture of the spring seat and bolt.

And of course "well the computer doesn't show that part" response.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can probably pick up two bolts at lowes or fastenal for just as cheap...
Gotta know the size and thread pitch.

I've been looking for bolts in the same situation as the OP. Taking out my spacer and putting in Icon 2.5" springs.

So far I have found that they are 14mm (dia), thread pitch unknown, but likely 1.5, which is normal coarse thread metric.

For a two inch spacer kit from Rough country the instructions say it includes a 14mm dia x 90 mm (length) new bolt.

So 90 mm minus 2 inches leaves you roughly 40 mm in length for the stock bolts.
I got that roughly as well. I emailed the manufacturer of the leveling kit and asked him what size bolts they used and I got this response.

"Hi,

Thanks for your purchase. We do not know the length of the stock bolts. Our bolts are M14X2X100mm.

Thanks"

Still didn't include what grade bolts they were. I took a picture of my bolts to see if I could see a grade through all the dirt and I think I can make out 8.8, which is a metric grade so I think I just about figured it out.

Oh and the Ford dealership here (likely everywhere else too) is completely useless for this. Their computer only shows a ghost picture of the spring seat and bolt.

And of course "well the computer doesn't show that part" response.
Ya, my dealership told me I had to buy the whole axle assembly for $900+ dollars because the bolt didn't come separately. What a joke.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
take the old bolt with you. subtract the spacer thickness and boom.
I thought it was that easy but just decided to check to be safe. Home Depot, Lowes, and Tractor Supply all don't have anything bigger than M12 in the stores. You can find M14 online at the Depot but you'd be SOL in person.

Im trying to avoid bumming a ride to the store once I get the truck apart.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
This is my solution.

I found these on amazon fairly cheap. Factory bolt would be ideal but these should work.

And they are 10.9 not 8.8 so they are a higher grade. I would think factory and the leveling kit stuff is 8.8 grade.

You're right too, 2.0 pitch is coarse thread, 1.5 is finer.

Dorman brand

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts