Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I know anything else about it...but I noticed that O'Reilly's Global ATF gallon jugs had "suitable for Mercon SP/LV use" or something to that effect on the front label. Other fluids like ATF+4 Mopar and Dex VI were also listed.

Only problem was I can order genuine Motorcraft SP from O'Reillys cheaper per quart than what they are charging for their "Global ATF". I pointed that out to the store manager (as if he cares). I imagine the same would hold true for Mopar and GM fluids the Global also replaces. But I didn't check those prices.

What's special about SP anyway that makes it so unique? Whatever it is, O'Reilly seems to think it has a formula for it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
O'reilly's can order the SP for you and here in MI at a good price! Just ask them. I have been where you are and was told to NOT use the Global.

~Matt.

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
How many quarts does a drain and fill and inline filter change take?

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I would not use ANY fluid but sp or lv! A few years back I used one that claimed the same thing. My truck shifted terrible. I did half flush 2 days later then another one in a week or so. The tranny went back to normal after that.

Sent from my DROID Pro using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
How many quarts does a drain and fill and inline filter change take?
The transmission and torque converter and filters and cooler all hold around 20qts. What I did was drain the pain and drop it then swap the in pan filter. Reinstalled the pan and replaced the cartridge filter by the trans cooler. I then added 9qts of fluid and started the truck and let it run for about 5 mins so it would suck the new good fluid out of the pan and swap it with the fluid in the torque converter and lines. Then I drained and refilled again. Thats the best way to do it if you don't want to do a heated flush at the dealership for $300.

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
About 8 quarts. Mine took that much. I drained my tranny into containers so I could measure the amount, and it was close to 8.
The transmission and torque converter and filters and cooler all hold around 20qts. What I did was drain the pain and drop it then swap the in pan filter. Reinstalled the pan and replaced the cartridge filter by the trans cooler. I then added 9qts of fluid and started the truck and let it run for about 5 mins so it would suck the new good fluid out of the pan and swap it with the fluid in the torque converter and lines. Then I drained and refilled again. Thats the best way to do it if you don't want to do a heated flush at the dealership for $300.
:thankyou2:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already ordered my Motorcraft SP a while ago from them. It's all I'd use, and besides it's cheaper per quart than their house brand. I was just pointing out it's one of the few I've seen which at least says it's SP/LV suitable. Whether it works well or not I don't know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts