Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find a whole lot of information on them as a combo so while needing to do some service on the truck I figured I would upgrade to the 08 pan/filter and replace the solenoids while I was in there. Rarely I have a 3-5 shift flare, usually random on days it hasn't been driven in a while.

Hopefully all goes well and solves the issue; other than that not really had any problems from the trans and mainly doing all this as a service.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I did all that. Shifts are definitely stronger. You dod not need to remove the solenoid pack to get the electrical connection out. You are able to twist and push it out trans. It takes a lot of Ingenuity to do it but it works.

I strongly recommend cleaning the exposed outside part of the connection harness. A lot of dirt is held and packed around there. Alot.
I had to get a new o-ring which was easy to get from Napa Auto Parts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did all that. Shifts are definitely stronger. You dod not need to remove the solenoid pack to get the electrical connection out. You are able to twist and push it out trans. It takes a lot of Ingenuity to do it but it works.

I strongly recommend cleaning the exposed outside part of the connection harness. A lot of dirt is held and packed around there. Alot.
I had to get a new o-ring which was easy to get from Napa Auto Parts
you did both solenoids? was it substantially stronger (like going to dump things out of the cupholder kind of violent)?

Does the solenoid only go in only one orientation or is that something you must pay close attention too. IE the connection is at 7 o clock the new solenoid better be at 7oclock?

I am using this as a DIY to follow they don't seem to drop anything extra than the pan/filter then unclip the connectors (or am i missing something?):
5r110 TRANS UPGRADE DIY MOD - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

·
Registered
199 Posts
Subscribbled.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
My solenoid would not seat in all the way if I went to the 7 o'clock position. Not sure why that is a thing. But for my transmission, the only way for the solenoid to go in all the way is to install them at their original clocked location.

Before you do anything. I strongly strongly recommend heavily cleaning out the exterior side of the electrical connector. Is brake cleaner and compressed air to remove all of the grit.
The connector is recessed into the case acting like a bowl.

Then spray some WD-40 on the top side to help the connector slide downward. It does not remove out of the transmission. It removes into the transmission.

The shifts are not intense. Even in stock the shifts are still healthy and smooth. I did not have issues with my shifts before. Just some funny business here in there. Nothing horrible at all.
Stock and innovative diesel Tunes. The ships are more firm. Nothing aggressive.

With my brand new power hungry performance Tunes the shifts are disappointing and rough.
When I got these Tunes I was expecting my truck to be the issue and so I dug into the solenoid adventure. After all this trial and error I realize that it's the truning that is making the shift so uncomfortably rough.

So far I'm loving my seven-year-old Tunes from innovative diesel. And they smoke a lot less.

Removing the main electric connector. Be nice to it. I used an extra pair of hands to help push it out as I grab the other end of it and pulled with pliers.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My solenoid would not seat in all the way if I went to the 7 o'clock position. Not sure why that is a thing. But for my transmission, the only way for the solenoid to go in all the way is to install them at their original clocked location.

Before you do anything. I strongly strongly recommend heavily cleaning out the exterior side of the electrical connector. Is brake cleaner and compressed air to remove all of the grit.
The connector is recessed into the case acting like a bowl.

Then spray some WD-40 on the top side to help the connector slide downward. It does not remove out of the transmission. It removes into the transmission.

The shifts are not intense. Even in stock the shifts are still healthy and smooth. I did not have issues with my shifts before. Just some funny business here in there. Nothing horrible at all.
Stock and innovative diesel Tunes. The ships are more firm. Nothing aggressive.

With my brand new power hungry performance Tunes the shifts are disappointing and rough.
When I got these Tunes I was expecting my truck to be the issue and so I dug into the solenoid adventure. After all this trial and error I realize that it's the truning that is making the shift so uncomfortably rough.

So far I'm loving my seven-year-old Tunes from innovative diesel. And they smoke a lot less.

Removing the main electric connector. Be nice to it. I used an extra pair of hands to help push it out as I grab the other end of it and pulled with pliers.
swap the DD solenoid with 0 problems, I for the life of me cannot figure out how to get the connector/harness out from behind the EPC solenoid to replace it.

I know you have to lift the tang and twist but I cannot get it to turn am I missing something?

I just went ahead and put the 08 pan back up there for now and may attempt it in the morning. Any advice is greatly appreciated, or at least a video to how to drop the solenoid/valvebody assembly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts