Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many forums and none of them seem to have come to a resolution, at least that I have read.

I have been through 4 PS pumps in about 6-7 years. Sitting in park, no foot on brake, cannot turn the wheel. I basically have no powersteering AT ALL in low RPM range. This makes backing a trailer almost impossible and very frustrating.

Truck is a 2000 F250 4x4

I'm including prices, but at this point I just want the best option. Most of these prices do not include tax or shipping. I see basically 4 options:

1) Lee Power steering pump $825. Doesn't seems to address the steering gear or the hydroboost.

2) AGR super pump, the guy at AGR said I need to send my hydroboost to Vanco in California to be ported to make the super pump work. It is supposed to greatly increase fluid flow. From 2 gpm to 6 gpm. AGR $325 and Vanco is $180. Shipping for Vanco is $90 total. The guy on the phone said the main source of the problem is the hydroboost and its pressure and flow restrictions. Makes sense I guess...

3) West Texas Offroad rebuilt/ported steering gear box and ******* Ram. $699. I would still need to replace my worn out pump. $125. They recommend drilling out the 22 mm fitting on the pressure line to 5/32" and do a couple other minor mods. The guy on the phone at WTOR said the ram will carry much of the load and take the pressure off the pump. Also makes sense...

4) Get another remanufactured pump and try to port it. $125. This feels like kicking the can down the road and I'd eventually have to go back to one of the 3 above.

I guess I could also do WTOR steering gear/******* ram and Vanco hydroboost with a stock pump too.

Anyone who has dealt with this I'd love to hear what you have done to deal with the powersteering issues. Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm still running the OEM pump on my truck at 213k miles, running Mobile synthetic ATF, no complaints on how it steers. I don't know if you need an upgrade or to figure out what the true source of the issue is.

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
you steering box is leaking past the cylinder seals -- re-build it or get a new one

bet the oil gets really hot

·
Registered
753 Posts
A ported red head or blue top box will give you the easiest and tightest steering you can get. Only downside is it’s costly, but you don’t seem to be intimidated by that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts