Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have decided to keep the truck and invest some $.

Here are a few newbie questions:

1- Advantages of a Ball bearing turbo from Turbonetics or Garrett over the much less expensive non BB I have seen. It seems like I have seen a lot of turbos with the same specs listed under different names like the "GDS ball buster" or the Big bad woof etc. etc. They all seem to have the exact same specs almost word for word, and the price give or take $50.00. So i assume they are the same turbo re-branded by different sellers.

2- Would it be best to buy a cheaper turbo and upgrade other stuff like the up pipes and boots or just bite the bullet on a high end turbo?

3- Any advantage of the Turbonetics or Garrett in towing applications? It seems mainly personal preference over actual performance in most posts I have read.

4- What about a high flow outlet housing, I see many with larger 3.2" openings that eliminate the EBV valve?? Advantages of keeping or eliminating EBV.

Any suggestions or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
I have decided to keep the truck and invest some $.

Here are a few newbie questions:

1- Advantages of a Ball bearing turbo from Turbonetics or Garrett over the much less expensive non BB I have seen. It seems like I have seen a lot of turbos with the same specs listed under different names like the "GDS ball buster" or the Big bad woof etc. etc. They all seem to have the exact same specs almost word for word, and the price give or take $50.00. So i assume they are the same turbo re-branded by different sellers.The turbos are the same as you say, just sold under a different name. The journal bearing turbos do not spool as fast as a BB and the journal bearing turbos cause more backpressure than the BB turbos.

2- Would it be best to buy a cheaper turbo and upgrade other stuff like the up pipes and boots or just bite the bullet on a high end turbo? YES

3- Any advantage of the Turbonetics or Garrett in towing applications? It seems mainly personal preference over actual performance in most posts I have read. I have only read what I am about to repeat. The Turbonetics will not surge when towing. The garrett can surge.

4- What about a high flow outlet housing, I see many with larger 3.2" openings that eliminate the EBV valve?? Advantages of keeping or eliminating EBV. The advantage of keeping the EBPV is it can be turned into an exhaust brake which is very nice for towing. I had mine setup this way for over 100K and now that I have eliminated it, I miss it very much. The advantage to going with a high flow outlet is it can drop your EGT's.

Any suggestions or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.
My responses are in red above.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks early '99

I am hoping to start with some small mods this month, a ITP fuel tank pre pump kit with a filter and add a helper fuel pump. A few other items from Guzzles website then with a little luck next month a turbo. I am leaning toward the Turbonetics BB but there is a reputable turbo shop here locally that said he would build me a great turbo for about $950.00. I will talk with him next week and see what he recommends but I have a feeling it may be one of the journal bearing type just re-labled.

A question about your answer on #2 yes to better turbo or yes to cheaper turbo + more upgrades?

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Sorry about that one on #2....After personally going cheap and then in a very short time doing it right, I would say "do it right the first time". Much cheaper and less disappointment in the mean time.

·
Registered
497 Posts
U might check out the new PDR turbo that is out too. It is a Journal BEaring turbo, but is said to be very comparable to a Ball Bearing turbo. it is a little cheaper too at about $1350 i believe, it is a direct replacement drop in. Amd mptice i said comparable, not exactly like a BB. Some guys who have it are very pleased with it

PDR Diesel Performance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts