Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I've been doing my HW on tires lately. I want/need to stick with the factory 20x8.5 wheels. Heres what I've come up with:

275/65R20E
OEM Goodyear AT/S 60#, 16/32"
Michelin LTX 60#, 17/32"
Toyo Open country AT 57#, 16/32"

285/65R20E
BFG AT KO 64#, 15/32"

I'm not looking for a mud tire. I commute a lot, and work on construction sites... sand, camping trail, etc. So pavement and construction sites and some light off-roading is what I do. I've been researching for a while now, and this is my final list.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
If you do rocky surfaces the Michelin's you will NOT like.. They like to stay on the road. rocky drives and surfaces will make them wear faster.

Not sure about the Goodyears.

Toyo's are great tires.

I think the best all around tire is the BFG AT KO, great mileage not loud and good on and off road.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
wut about Cooper STT's ???

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The michelins almost look to non-aggresive... almost a road only tire. I drive a lot of washboard roads, service roads, sand roads/trails and some light dirt & mud. and then a ton of hwy. But the reason I'm looking at ditching the 35" Procomps is b/c of MPG's. I lost about 2-3 mpg going to them, and my skinny OEM rim is 8.5".. barely wide enough. So I'm only running like 35psi in the rear for even tire wear. You really need a 10" wide wheel for 12.50's. And they weigh 71 pounds each. Vs 57-64 pounds with the tires I'm looking at.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Well the michelins arn't as bad as they look.. they did get me through some rough mud spots, but they only lasted maybe 35K miles...

IMO they are too dang expensive to only last that long..

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
omg 35k. yeah... pretty expensive for what they are. I could by 2 sets of OEM goodyears for the same price. Seems like the only +1 or +2 sizes for these 20" wheels is the BFG in the 285. checked Coopers out, no sizes avail. and nobody makes a 295 width. It jumps way up to 305.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
I have the KO's on my truck and love them. Good tread, don't wear quickly and are quiet on pavement.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems to be a lot of love out there for the KO's. Anyone know about the Toyo A/T's? I couldn't find much information on them.

·
Registered
636 Posts
My vote is Toyo AT's! Quiet and don't load up with rocks like some of the others!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've got Toyo AT's on my truck now and love em......the overall size kills me on short trips, but on the highway (where I'm at 95% of the time) my truck sits between 1400-1700 rpm (1600-1700 when HAULING A$$) so my fuel mileage has been exceptional lately (19.4 on a light footed tank, and my last tank driving hard was 18.9)

I also have a set of 275/60/20E Goodyear AT tires in my barn that I took off when I bough the Toyo's.........To be honest, I really liked em, they still have gobs of tread left and did very well in snow/ice/rain. They didnt do BAD, but didnt do great with grass, but seemed to trail really well on gravel and dirt roads on the farm. They seemed to wear fairly slow as well. I woulda even been interested in selling them other than I messed the bead up on one removing it and might consider putting them on with my lift once these tires wear out and see how bad it looks and if I get better or worse mileage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I vote for the Goodyears. I have an '06 with the factory 20" rims & the oem GY tires that came on the truck... same as yours. I'm about to turn 52k miles on the original tires, and still have a few thousand (maybe 2-3k) miles worth of tread left. I have absolutely no complaints!

I'm about to buy new tires, and I'm looking at the Good Year Wrangler Silent Armor LT305/60R20. It's an E rated tire with 50k warranty. I don't see any reason it shouldn't perform as good as or better than the similar OEM tire we already have.

My 2 cents...
DR

·
Registered
565 Posts
I vote for the Goodyears. I have an '06 with the factory 20" rims & the oem GY tires that came on the truck... same as yours. I'm about to turn 52k miles on the original tires, and still have a few thousand (maybe 2-3k) miles worth of tread left. I have absolutely no complaints!

I'm about to buy new tires, and I'm looking at the Good Year Wrangler Silent Armor LT305/60R20. It's an E rated tire with 50k warranty. I don't see any reason it shouldn't perform as good as or better than the similar OEM tire we already have.

My 2 cents...
DR
wonder how much those would be in 35's once these 37's wear out I think I'm gonna try somin smaller.....maybe borrow someones 20's with 35's and swap for a couple weeks to check my fuel consumption.

my 20's were a lil wide for the GY tires I have sitting at home, they measured at 33" on the wheel but off the truck....on narrower rims they measure out at about 34" I think.....not bad for an OEM tire!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
yes I did eye the 305/60R20E GoodYear Silent Armor.. but I'm thinking that tire is to wide for a 8.5" OEM wheel, and I might be in the same boat I'm in now... having to air way down to get even wear.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, narrowed it down to either the OEM 275 GY Wrangler or the 285 BFG AT KO. leaning toward the BFG's b/c I really don't want the OEM pizza cutters back. Or my other very expensive option is some 20x10 wheels and 305/60 Silent armors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts