Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been researching common issues on my 2011 F350 since I got it and the most commonly brought up issue is the failure of the CP4 causing the destruction of the entire high-pressure fuel system necessitating a $10k repair. I dug through old threads here, checked around the web, and hit up a guy I know who works in fleet services at a dealer. What Ive learned so far is:
  • The reason the CP4 has caused so many issues is due to water in the fuel causing the pump to rust and send contaminants into the HPFS (my buddy in fleet services swears hes never seen a cp4 fail that didnt have rust/water issues)
  • Improving lubricity of the fuel can reduce these issues
  • Being hyper-vigilant about water in the fuel and checking the water separator is the #1 way to prevent this issue
  • The reason for better reliability in the 17-19 and 20+ trucks is they increased the size of the frame mounted water separator/fuel filter massively (3-4x) to allow for more water capacity
Since learning all this Ive looked into options for preventing this issue. So far Ive come across two possibilities
The advantage of the disaster prevention kit is that it directly intervenes by filtering the fuel before it gets to the sensitive parts of the fuel system. The disadvantages of it are that some vehicles have issues after install that can be difficult to diagnose. Theres also the fact that they can be difficult to install for someone who isnt a good wrench.

The advantage of the new fuel filter system is that its relatively easy to install, provides better than stock filtration, and greatly increases the water capacity of the water separator. The downside is if the pump does go, it provides no protection whatsoever. It also has a higher upfront component cost.

Looking for some advice or input on the best way to protect my fuel system and avoiding that massive repair bill.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ive been researching common issues on my 2011 F350 since I got it and the most commonly brought up issue is the failure of the CP4 causing the destruction of the entire high-pressure fuel system necessitating a $10k repair. I dug through old threads here, checked around the web, and hit up a guy I know who works in fleet services at a dealer. What Ive learned so far is:
  • The reason the CP4 has caused so many issues is due to water in the fuel causing the pump to rust and send contaminants into the HPFS (my buddy in fleet services swears hes never seen a cp4 fail that didnt have rust/water issues)
  • Improving lubricity of the fuel can reduce these issues
  • Being hyper-vigilant about water in the fuel and checking the water separator is the #1 way to prevent this issue
  • The reason for better reliability in the 17-19 and 20+ trucks is they increased the size of the frame mounted water separator/fuel filter massively (3-4x) to allow for more water capacity
Since learning all this Ive looked into options for preventing this issue. So far Ive come across two possibilities
The advantage of the disaster prevention kit is that it directly intervenes by filtering the fuel before it gets to the sensitive parts of the fuel system. The disadvantages of it are that some vehicles have issues after install that can be difficult to diagnose. Theres also the fact that they can be difficult to install for someone who isnt a good wrench.

The advantage of the new fuel filter system is that its relatively easy to install, provides better than stock filtration, and greatly increases the water capacity of the water separator. The downside is if the pump does go, it provides no protection whatsoever. It also has a higher upfront component cost.

Looking for some advice or input on the best way to protect my fuel system and avoiding that massive repair bill.
This is what I run DIESELSITE - DIESEL MAINTENANCE and PERFORMANCE

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,121 Posts
Water/rust are an issue but is not really the BIG one... its lack of lubrication. if a truck ever sat long enough for rust to form in the cp4 i havent seen it. Diesel naturally will help fight rust by its design and is cycled so much rust doesn't get the chance to form. The cp4 and (cp42 2015 and newer) have a metal on metal contact point lubricated by fuel ONLY. The distater-kitt re-routes the fuel used for lubrication back to the tank first to get re-filtered before going to the engine so in the event of a failure you still don't totally stop metal from getting to the trucks injectors and other systems. It just really helps keep the metal isolated MORE to fewer areas. When the modern diesel can't lubricate the pump you start getting metal on metal to the point it binds or fails and then loads the truck with metal shavings. Thats the BIG ISSUE.

The older diesel fuel pumps only produced 50-70 psi maybe more for big mods but that would not pressurize the diesel enough needed for the injectors and the truck to meet emissions standards. hence why the 6.7l uses 30k+ psi compared to the older 50-70 psi. Then you have the cp4 and cp4.2 (cp4.2 started in 2015) Although the cp4.2 is more reliable its not the answer and the primary reason Cummins reverted back to the more reliable cp3 for their newer generation 6.7ls later on. All the engineers were pushed by manufactures to make power but burn clean and as much as I love powerstroke going back to the cp3 was the true answer and companies even make a bolt on kit for cummins to go to a cp3 and still meet emissions standards. Its also whats happening in the duramax world too cp4 to cp3 conversion kits are the new norm. Butit wont work for Powerstrokes yet.

-RUN A FUEL ADDITIVE PERIOD...
-Install a cp4 disaster kit or have a shop do it. (not hard to be honest)-Its really cheap insurance but it still doesn't totally protect the system but for the average owner its helpful.
-Get your fuel from a station that has high use to keep the diesel fresh
-Change your filters/drain water regularly
-Drive your truck

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Opti-Lube additive
And this if you’re paranoid like me...LOL

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
-RUN A FUEL ADDITIVE PERIOD...
-Install a cp4 disaster kit or have a shop do it. (not hard to be honest)-Its really cheap insurance but it still doesn't totally protect the system but for the average owner its helpful.
-Get your fuel from a station that has high use to keep the diesel fresh
-Change your filters/drain water regularly
-Drive your truck
Thanks for the super informative post! So its more friction than rust? I do run PM22 when I fill up and I check my frame mount fuel filter with every tank.

Opti-Lube additive
On the surface it looks like opti-lube is a better option that pm22 since its also an anti-gel. Would it be good enough as an anti-gel to run year-round for the Denver area of CO (we get overnight lows in the negative single digits every year)?

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I run summer plus in the warm months to save money. The XPD is great to run year round if you’re OK with the extra cost. It has even more lubrication.

·
Premium Member
10,121 Posts
Thanks for the super informative post! So its more friction than rust? I do run PM22 when I fill up and I check my frame mount fuel filter with every tank.

On the surface it looks like opti-lube is a better option that pm22 since its also an anti-gel. Would it be good enough as an anti-gel to run year-round for the Denver area of CO (we get overnight lows in the negative single digits every year)?
I have nothing against opti-lube but i hate having to order online.... My personal truck uses Diesel Kleen just because its available everywhere all the time lol. Many use Howes as well mostly those two just because you don't have to order online/wait. Both have a lubrication modifer and cetane booster. Plus they have prooven themselves to forum members. I know I can personally vouch for Diesel Kleen esp in the winter time. A couple of other long time truck owners who ran both 6.0ls and 6.7l currently really liked Howes. But again just because they work and are easily obtainable nothing against opti-lube just as ease of access and they all three work etc.

·
Premium Member
10,121 Posts
if i had a way to not deal with people but still support the local businesses I would lol... Trust me I hate walmart but they just cant be beat for price for oil, filters (many oems on the shelf now) and fuel treatment. I only make large trips at night or like 5am though too so it helps a ton. Friggin people of walmart is no joke these days.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Walmart ships for free these days too.
Local shops are double the price on T6! That’s just ridiculous.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts