Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I need some ideas on what may be going on with my truck and if it is something that can be or needs to be fixed. I have been running the extreme street tune on the SCT for about a year now. Just recently, a few months, I have been noticing the amount of smoke (black) coming out of the exhaust has been getting heavier. I used to just see it on really hard take offs and now I see it on even the mildest of accelerations. Its gotten to the point that my bumper behind the pipe is constantly black. Any ideas what is going on or if it is signs of something bad brewing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
smoke

I have a 08 job 3 truck Spartan 250 tune dpf delete and the same thing happened to me. I changed to the 210 tune and it cured it or at least 90% of it. Does this make any sense?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I am also running the 250 tune on my 08 job 3 and have noticed more smoke on slower accelerations lately. It used to only smoke when i mashed the pedal.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would start with just reloading the tune..other then that I would just make sure that you dont have a boost leak or excesively dirty airfilter. I know that these trucks have some sort of adaptive fuel dilivery that works with how you drive....may have something to do with that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
i wouldnt worry about the smoke, my truck smokes like that on the 250 tune also, it is a race tune

·
shhhhh, can you hear it?
2,236 Posts
race tune shouldnt mean its ok or normal to waste fuel.obviously a race tune loads the eng with more fuel but it should use it as well.im in agreement with reloading your tune or switching to another one.also contact the tuner company and see what they have to say about it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Smoking AND False MPG Readings

I saw this thread and I felt I needed to give my story as well. I'm still yet to figure this one out. Here is what I have:

2008 F-250, 60k miles, 6.4
Airaid Aid Intake
Downpipe-back 4" exhaust kit (no cat, dpf, or muffler)
SCT Livewire

Here is my scenario: When I first tuned the truck with the Extreme tune, using mostly the default options, using the Firm(Race) tranny option - I get the same thing you all are talking about. On even gentle acceleration, I get a constant stream of smoke blowing out of my tailpipe. The truck also seems to smoke a good amount while idling, and the turbo goes through a continuous "respool" where every now and then you can hear the turbo spool back up and start hissing again. It does this about every minute.

Secondly, my instrument cluster shows anywhere from 15 to 17 MPG (city driving) and up to 23 MPG (highway driving). HOWEVER, when manually calculating the MPG, I am only getting about 12 city and 16 highway. Extreme is the only tune that this happens with. Performance, Tow, and Stock tunes are all accurate readings on the instrument cluster.

One thing I tried: I set the option for "I have disabled the vehicle's emissions (EGR) system" or whatever it says to YES. I don't have an EGR block kit, but knowing what I know about EGR, I decided to see what it would do.

The results are - I'm getting the typical "puff" of smoke on start, with no smoke during regular acceleration. If I floor it, it pours black smoke. And no more smoking at idle or turbo spooling. Seems normal.

Only problem - when doing this, my MPG doesn't get any better (still about 12 city). I was getting this MPG with a dang filter!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw this thread and I felt I needed to give my story as well. I'm still yet to figure this one out. Here is what I have:

Airaid Aid Intake
SCT Livewire

Here is my scenario: When I first tuned the truck with the Extreme tune, using mostly the default options, using the Firm(Race) tranny option - I get the same thing you all are talking about. On even gentle acceleration, I get a constant stream of smoke blowing out of my tailpipe. The truck also seems to smoke a good amount while idling, and the turbo goes through a continuous "respool" where every now and then you can hear the turbo spool back up and start hissing again. It does this about every minute.

Secondly, my instrument cluster shows anywhere from 15 to 17 MPG (city driving) and up to 23 MPG (highway driving). HOWEVER, when manually calculating the MPG, I am only getting about 12 city and 16 highway. Extreme is the only tune that this happens with. Performance, Tow, and Stock tunes are all accurate readings on the instrument cluster.

One thing I tried: I set the option for "I have disabled the vehicle's emissions (EGR) system" or whatever it says to YES. I don't have an EGR block kit, but knowing what I know about EGR, I decided to see what it would do.

The results are - I'm getting the typical "puff" of smoke on start, with no smoke during regular acceleration. If I floor it, it pours black smoke. And no more smoking at idle or turbo spooling. Seems normal.

Only problem - when doing this, my MPG doesn't get any better (still about 12 city). I was getting this MPG with a dang filter!

Any ideas?
I have a question about the EGR valve. Do you have to select somewhere in the tuning process to turn it off or is it programed to be off? If it needs to be selected to be off can someone explain where I do this. I was considering a block off plate but everywhere I read the SCT custom tunes turn it off. Someone please help

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great thread: I have an F350 CC 08' Job3. SCT Livewire running xtreme street bout 3 months. Getting about 12 town/ 14-17 hwy hand calculated. I expected more. Im getting smoke but seems to be only when I punch it and some with moderate acceleration.

Very curios to see what folks say.

Do the innovative tunes form Eric smoke like this? Considering trying them to improve mpg's.

Airaid Aid Intake
SCT Livewire

Any ideas?

·
Registered
25 Posts
back to the origanal topic... besexton, have you noticed any soot built up on the back of the motor/ top of tranny, or covering the firewall? If so, it could be your uppipes are shot. What happens then is, the uppies leak, especially under pressure, inturn, the turbo doesnt spool up and produce boost at low rpms anywhere near like it should, but the pcm is expecting boost so is ordering fuel that can;t be burnt with out boost so.... black smoke. once the turbos are spooling, not near as much smoke. right? Check for soot on top of tranny, under truck, back of motor. tell me what u find.

·
Registered
32 Posts
EGR Valve

I have a question about the EGR valve. Do you have to select somewhere in the tuning process to turn it off or is it programed to be off? If it needs to be selected to be off can someone explain where I do this. I was considering a block off plate but everywhere I read the SCT custom tunes turn it off. Someone please help
As best as I can figure, you have to install block plates on both ends of the EGR pipe. I know with SCT, when you are tuning the truck, one of the questions that the tuner asks you is "Have you disabled the vehicle's emissions component (EGR System)?"

This is why I don't really understand my issue. I don't have block plates, yet the truck seems to smoke less (but more normal) when I select the option that I do have the EGR system blocked.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i dont have a 6.4 but i have noticed on here n mags bout a DPF delete.. what is that??.. and is it something that really needs to be done??.. like the egr upgread or delete for the 6.0 lol.. i went through that experence

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
i dont have a 6.4 but i have noticed on here n mags bout a DPF delete.. what is that??.. and is it something that really needs to be done??.. like the egr upgread or delete for the 6.0 lol.. i went through that experence
DPF= Diesel Particulate Filter. It's a filter like the CAT but it traps soot. When the PCM senses that the DPF is getting full it will inject some fuel into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke which will cause it to ignite and increase the EGT's to around 1200 deg in the filter, burning off the soot. A royal PITA and really causes crappy mileage. IIRC they started putting them on the SD's in 2008. I don't think the 6.0 or older have them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
back to the origanal topic... besexton, have you noticed any soot built up on the back of the motor/ top of tranny, or covering the firewall? If so, it could be your uppipes are shot. What happens then is, the uppies leak, especially under pressure, inturn, the turbo doesnt spool up and produce boost at low rpms anywhere near like it should, but the pcm is expecting boost so is ordering fuel that can;t be burnt with out boost so.... black smoke. once the turbos are spooling, not near as much smoke. right? Check for soot on top of tranny, under truck, back of motor. tell me what u find.
Checked it out. No soot so were good at the uppipes. Any other thoughts guys?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts