Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tossing around the idea of putting a single stack on my 99 reg cab. I'm thinking about a 6 inch black or black chrome mitre cut about in the middle of the passenger seat. Also thinking about leaving the stock exhaust with a muffler delete. What are your guys thoughts on this? All opinions will be considered. In the near future I'll be installing gauges and a 6 position chip if that helps. Thanks

·
Registered
758 Posts
I just took my stacks out, loved the look but me having a short bed they definitely got in my way on several occasions. They are also fairly loud, it's cool at first but it eventually becomes annoying, I thought I would worry about the hole in the bed but I just went for it and cut it and it didn't affect me at all. To patch it I just took a piece of steel and sprayed it with duplicoler bed liner and used self tapping screws and screwed it down, only telling you that so the hole won't discourage you. Single stacks look bad *** IMO, if it's something you like the look of go for it, just helping weigh the pros and cons. Also if you do it make sure you rig up a heat shield of some kind, something will melt to that thing faster than you can say dammit I just melted something to my stack.

What would I be doing right now if I didn't have an iPhone?

·
Premium Member
6,449 Posts
Stacks are cool in certain trucks depending on the style. I've ridden in a few trucks with em and I know the drone would get old as funk after a while....but there's nothin like the sound of a straight piped 7three. I vote muffler delete!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I have a single six inch miter cut love the sound I have four inch turbo back. Just cover it at night even the dew setting in will make for a mess and my trucks white

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have a single six inch miter cut love the sound I have four inch turbo back. Just cover it at night even the dew setting in will make for a mess and my trucks white

What do you mean make a mess? I was planning on adding a stack soon and have a white truck.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Get ready to wash it every other day the soot goes everywhere get caught at wal mart and let it rain for five mins while you inside shopping and when you start it up there you go a " mess". I carry a roll of alluminum foil around with me to cover it when I stop I need to find a lil metal bucket

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I saved my four inch pipe it will problably go back on soon I was lucky. The stack was free all I have is 150 in hooking it up lesson learned I guess lol

·
Registered
319 Posts
Personally I love the look and sound of stacks. It seems lately everyone is cutting up guys running stacks, when two years ago "everyone was doing it". My only reasoning for not stacking it is I use my bed often and with the box in there I think it will look dumb pusing the tool box back 6+ inches. The soot issue bothers me too. However to be different I debated going dual 4" with pop tops. I love the "ting ting ting" at idle of the poppers. :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a 5" Aussie and will be making a 7" CAT stack before too long. I love the sound and I don't get a drone. Mine is in the corner, and I ran the pipe straight to the corner of the bed so I didn't loose bedspace - I figure if I'm driving a land yacht I better be able to throw plywood in it and close the tailgate.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I think unless you have a need (track rules or hauling) they have become way over done.

·
Registered
609 Posts
It all in the eyes of the beholder with stacks. For me I think the single stack looks like crap but I do like the look of duals, I have seen a set up with a Y-pipe running duals side by side instead of in the corner of the box and it look pretty neat. If you going to put stacks on I recomend a curved style to help keep water and snow out. Just less work for you in the end. Your going to want to get a heat shield as stated before things will melt and burn. Bringing my girlfriend from long island to Norther NY melted the plastic bag her stuff was in and browned and toasted her pink pillow, she wasnt exactly happy about it but hey I told her she had too much stuff lol. Id say stick with under the bed exhaust for now. Unless you handy with a welder and can build most of it your self other wise it is going to be pretty expesive to do stacks.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think unless you have a need (track rules or hauling) they have become way over done.
I agree with you on this. The thing that gets me is the over exsive size of them. 5in is the base to most of the bigger stacks then bumps up to what size it is anything bigger then 5in is pointless in my oppinion.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
My truck will see a stack when I'm at the track a lot. Track rules say exhaust must exit upward. That's the only reason I would run stacks, it used to be fast trucks had stacks now its every Joe blow. Just my opinion, I know my views are not always popular.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm still on the fence about it. I'd like a single 6 inch. My truck is red. But I'm not overly concerned with the soot. I also like the look of the exhaust coming out in front of the rear tire.

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
i had a set of five inch mitres. it was cool. loved the look and the sound of the truck....as everyone has said, things to get stuck and melted to them....another thing is make sure your buddys dont put their empty beer bottles in there....that was a pain in the ***....:doh: im currently running a 4" side pipe. i love the sound. its a little loud for the passenger of my truck with the window down. either set up you choose, DONT PUT A MUFFLER ON!!!!!!!!!!!! lol. i love the straight pipe sound.

·
Registered
609 Posts
CoalRoller I'm with you on it seems like everyone has them,I go to the track every now and then so they do serve a purpose other then looks and giving my old man an excuse to rag on me lol. They also lowered my EGT's by 75 to 100 degrees, but Carguy unless you got 5 to 6 hundred to drop for a stack kit I wouldnt do it. I built mine for just under 300 dollars for the pipe,clamps,and the Aussie cuts. So if your handy with a welder and have an afternoon you can go that route (just hope you like grinding). Much cheaper to get a MPRB, AFE, or some other exhaust system. Before I had my stacks I had stock pipe till where the CAT use to be then bumped it up to 5in with a side dump infront of the wheel. Did that for around $50 so much cheaper then the stacks. However doing a single would be cheaper then the duals

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CoalRoller I'm with you on it seems like everyone has them,I go to the track every now and then so they do serve a purpose other then looks and giving my old man an excuse to rag on me lol. They also lowered my EGT's by 75 to 100 degrees, but Carguy unless you got 5 to 6 hundred to drop for a stack kit I wouldnt do it. I built mine for just under 300 dollars for the pipe,clamps,and the Aussie cuts. So if your handy with a welder and have an afternoon you can go that route (just hope you like grinding). Much cheaper to get a MPRB, AFE, or some other exhaust system. Before I had my stacks I had stock pipe till where the CAT use to be then bumped it up to 5in with a side dump infront of the wheel. Did that for around $50 so much cheaper then the stacks. However doing a single would be cheaper then the duals
I don't know how to weld yet although I would like to get a welder and teach myself. My cousin can weld and I'm sure he could help out. I ordered a piece of 4 in flex pipe from my local Mack shop and that'll be here Tuesday along with the 6637 filter cause the three local NAPA's didn't have it in stock and it was cheaper on riff raff. Would it be easier to just cut the exhaust off and have the flex pipe come out in from of the rear wheel?

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
I like the look/sound of stacks but enjoy my bed space. Im rockin dual 4" exhaust dumped out in front of the rear wheel. It sounds great, really easy install, looks decent and clean.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I don't know how to weld yet although I would like to get a welder and teach myself. My cousin can weld and I'm sure he could help out. I ordered a piece of 4 in flex pipe from my local Mack shop and that'll be here Tuesday along with the 6637 filter cause the three local NAPA's didn't have it in stock and it was cheaper on riff raff. Would it be easier to just cut the exhaust off and have the flex pipe come out in from of the rear wheel?
NOOO dont do flex pipe. Unless you are down south where there is no salt on the roads. Im in Northern NY and the salt is bad news for that stuff, friend had the flex pipe to his stacks within 2 months it was rusted through. You better off buying a 90* bend for the side dump Ill post pics of how mine was set up before stacks.

·
Registered
609 Posts

1 - 20 of 38 Posts