Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm going out on a limb here with what I'm doing, but I'm determined to increase my mileage because it's getting a bit too rediculious. My truck gets 13.0-13.5 MPG religiously, and thats with mixed city and highway driving. My mods are in my sig and the mods I have arent the best for good mileage, but I'm going to try something to help that.

I dropped my suspention 2" so it's now a 4" lift. I also bolted on my stock wheels and tires (265/75-16) TOYO open country a/t's. The truck doesnt look as cool as before when it had the 35" mudders and nice wheels, but let me tell you... the difference is well worth it so far. Here are the changes I have noticed. No more tire noise from those big stupid mud tires I had on there, these TOYO's are super quiet and I love the fact I cant hear them. The truck drives significantly better with the smaller, less aggressive tires on it. The power increase is crazy compaired to the big mud tires, these little tires allow the truck to really tear azz down the road. It honestly feels like it takes so much less power to move the truck now than before with the big 35's. The biggest difference should reflect in the fuel tank, I'm hoping for a significant increase in my MPG and I'll report with those results as soon as I fuel up again, probably some time around Wednesday this week. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I would expect around 2-3 mpg more.... I get 17 on a GOOD day

It also depends on the mix of driving you do, if it is mostly city then I would stand by the 2+ but if it is mostly highway you might stay the same

·
Registered
313 Posts
check and see what setting your running your dp on. My truck gets the best milage on the 120 setting.. also keep your rpms below 2000 rpms if you have the 373 gears.. once you hear the turbo howling your burning fuel.. :woot:
I have gotten 21 mpg on a trip I have 580 miles on this tank so far, all short trips.

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,885 Posts
I'm seriously considering raising my gears from 4:10 to 3:73's simply for mileage. I do a fair amount of heavy hauling, but 3:73's should pull what I'm hauling.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've been running with my dp on stock. I get better mpg's that way but it feels so gutless. I might have to send it back and have the 120 added and give it a try, with the prices these days it would pay off in the long run.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm with you on improving mpg. I consistently get between 17-18 city and 19/20 hwy. My all time best was 21.7mpg. I'm going to be installing the dieselsite 203T since I'm going to be doing cooling system maintenance next weekend. I'll let you all know how it goes.

PSD, how do you like the D66? What was the differences you noticed over stock? I'm considering going that route but want the Pulse Pump first.

Chris

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
i have 97 f350 4x4 355 axle do to the LOW SULFER FUEL MY MPG has droped to 14-15 but im trying some thing putting cetain booster and sulfer additive the improvement look goooood went up 2MPG ALSO TOOK TUNER OUT DRIVE IT LIKE A GRANDPA 65 MPH

·
Registered
601 Posts
when you have a badass looking truck it is hard to drive slow...especailly in cali, slowlane is 70+mph unless of course it is stopped:wink[3]:

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Hey Jake good luck with it man. :thumb: You're definitly talking steps in the right direction.
For me the best way to save fuel is simply to alter the way i drive. It's hard to do, but really works. 65 mph instead of 80...anticipate traffic waaaay ahead...use very little brake...No hard brake, no hard accel....

I'm not telling anybody how to drive, just chiming in with what works for me!

later

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
I just got back from a 1700mile trip. I got 15.5 mpg on the way there at 80-90mph all the way and passing anything in sight, I was a hurry to get there. I got 17.9mph at 65-70mph on the way back. I find it makes a huge diffrence in my truck on the speed I drive. I have 3.73 gears and 35" tires on my rig.

·
Registered
433 Posts
early did you swtch tunes on the way back?

·
OperationSmile.org
2,011 Posts
check and see what setting your running your dp on. My truck gets the best milage on the 120 setting.. also keep your rpms below 2000 rpms if you have the 373 gears.. once you hear the turbo howling your burning fuel.. :woot:
I have gotten 21 mpg on a trip I have 580 miles on this tank so far, all short trips.
580 miles to the tank! What size do you have? I have a 34 gallon and I am lucky to get 300 between fillups. Thats full till the low fuel light comes one. I get the best mileage when I have my chip on extreme. ON stock I get about 11 mpg. My mods are in my sig.:dunno:

·
powerstrokin
2,857 Posts
Any one know what setting would be best milage on bully dog?

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
300?? That hurts! I sit a shortbed?

I've got a long bed, and if i'm nice to it, I can get between 550-600/tank.

ON Edit: your 35" tires are not helping for sure...

·
Registered
601 Posts
highway is 13-16
city 11-13
with 35" muds and heavy 18" steel wheels
previous owner said he could 18 highway before the switch to ULSD
and i think my tank is 40gals becuase if i fill it when it is at 1/4 left it take 33 to fill it, never filled it from empty

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
early did you swtch tunes on the way back?

80E tune both ways. On the way there I did switch to 140race to do some passing on the two lane roads.

I had 480miles on the tank when I filled up in Parker, Az and took on 31.5gal on the way to Bouse, Az.

On the way back I picked up fuel in Parker, Az and filled up in Bakersfield, Ca. I picked up 19.2gal with 345miles on that tank.

Back on stock tires, big oil, D66, stock injectors I could get over 20mpg on the highway and I would get 16.5 around town. Ohhh, back in the good 'ol low power days of 348hp......

·
Registered
313 Posts
580 miles to the tank! What size do you have? I have a 34 gallon and I am lucky to get 300 between fillups. Thats full till the low fuel light comes one. I get the best mileage when I have my chip on extreme. ON stock I get about 11 mpg. My mods are in my sig.:dunno:
whatever the early 99 shortbed comes with probably around 25
if i watch my boost gauge and i dont let it rise I get great fuel milage..
its not a lot of fun but neither is filling that pig up..
I'm glad i have a work van that i dont have to fill..

1 - 20 of 55 Posts