Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
Well...while trying to remove the top mounted fuel filter cap, I managed to completely destroy the plastic nut that you unscrew it with, yep---sheared it right off!!! I'm sure it was because of a manufacturing defect in the plastic cap, and not because the last time I put it back on, I torqued the hell out of it.
Anyway does anyone have a surefire way to get the cap off now? I thought about trying to tap it with a hammer and screwdriver, or maybe putting a couple of screws across from each other in the top and using something to try and twist it off. I ordered a new billet one from Elite and I have a few days to try and figure this out before it gets here.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
You could try some channel locks or maybe a filter wrench:thumb:

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Hammer and Punch. If you don't have a punch use a 3/8 drive 6 inch extension. If you use a screwdriver you take the risk of puncturing it then it won't be any good.

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Wait til the new one comes in and then a hammer and chisel...

·
Registered
529 Posts
same thing happened to me, a filter wrench was too big and there wasnt enough surface area to bite in with pliers. i used a screw driver with a semi sharp head so it would bite into the plastic. took a few min to figure it out but i finally got it off.
hope i helped

·
Registered
11 Posts
if you have a new one comming get the old one off. it doesnt matter if you destroy it. for future reference do not use a 1/2 drive to remove the cap use a 15/16 socket and a decent 1/2 inch ratchet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts