Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a buddies cube van with a 6.9L. Will only start while plugged in for about 30 mins and longer. Replaced glowplugs, direct wired in a switch to control the glow plugs. 12V at the glow plugs, 12V on both large posts on the GPR while the glow plug button is pressed. Glow plug controller eliminated. Just cranks and cranks unless the block heater is utilized.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Poke and hope:

Poor fuel atomization?

IIIRC the old 6.9s had a huge ring end gap, depending on how many hours on the motor it could be leaking compression.

It still sounds like a gp issue tho

Edit:
My folks had one with an ATS turbo package. The gp control relay was a pos. It would pop on and off like crazy. If it sat for any time it was an SOB to start. Had to cycle the GPS a few times or it would just flood. That's in CA, where it doesn't get cold.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
185 Posts
When he is cranking it, is any smoke coming out of the exhaust?

Is it still stock mechanical fuel pump or electric? Any air intrusion problems?

What brand glow plugs did you put in? How old are they? Did you check each glow plugs seperately so that you know each is working? To me I would think it might be fuel related but if it starts perfectly fine when you have it on the block heater then obviously it has to be glow plug related.

There is only a few things to get these trucks to start especially if it starts fine once plugged in.

·
Love all, Trust a Few...
4,877 Posts
how long do you hold the switch for your glow plugs? try for around 30 seconds. also if you wire the glow plug module back up. how long will it glow before it goes to clicking?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's why it's so confusing to me. It's mechanical fuel. I first thought it was a fuel issue too. The glow plugs are new but they are also Bosch. I told him to grab some Motorcraft GPs. measured each glow plug. 12V to each and something like 25amps. Glow plug relay run on push button in cab. runs 12V for the duration of the button being pushed. Little bit of raw diesel smoke during cranking but nothing like my OBS 7.3L powerstroke. I'm not too familiar with the injector system in these trucks. Is it a Heui system or high pressure fuel?

·
Love all, Trust a Few...
4,877 Posts
Its an injection pump. No Heui no HPCR just old school stanadyne injection pump. if you're smokin diesel then you're either not glowing long enough or GP's are weak (even though new). I've never used aftermarket GP's. I've never heard anything good.

·
Love all, Trust a Few...
4,877 Posts
ah one more thing. I've seen where the solenoid appears to be sending volts to the GP's but doesnt send enough amps. If you take off the breather and jump the solenoid with say a screwdriver will that start it? Inside the solenoid is nothing but a washer the jumps up and contacts both posts. Sometimes they get a bad spot in them causing this symptom

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
ah one more thing. I've seen where the solenoid appears to be sending volts to the GP's but doesnt send enough amps. If you take off the breather and jump the solenoid with say a screwdriver will that start it? Inside the solenoid is nothing but a washer the jumps up and contacts both posts. Sometimes they get a bad spot in them causing this symptom
If it's got arc spots you can clean them up with a little emry if you can get it apart. I don't remember what that one looks like

Sent from a phone that makes calls too!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My friend is gonna trade me work on his truck for work on my Motorcycle since he's a custom Motorcycle shop owner. I think for the cost of a new relay I'd go that route. I get a pretty decent discount through my shop. I'd still be curious to see if they make a bigger GPR.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Tell your friend to pull those GP's when he gets it going, anything but stock ones which are Beru ZD9's can cause nothing but issues. Either overheating and shorting out very fast or swelling in the head.

I REPEAT nothing but stock Beru ZD9's.

If you aren't a member of oilburners.net, head on over there. They are the absolute best forum when it comes to the idi trucks.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Got a buddies cube van with a 6.9L. Will only start while plugged in for about 30 mins and longer. Replaced glowplugs, direct wired in a switch to control the glow plugs. 12V at the glow plugs, 12V on both large posts on the GPR while the glow plug button is pressed. Glow plug controller eliminated. Just cranks and cranks unless the block heater is utilized.
I would have said you have it covered but must still be an issue there somewhere.

Welcome back btw. Haven't seen you around in forever.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It has been a long while JJFLASH. I unfortunately had to sell the truck so I haven't realy had much to post about. Would eventually like to get another one but money has been tight.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Ah, that sucks.

How cold are we talking when you are trying to start it without being plugged in? Like sitting outside in Winterpeg or is this in a nice warm shop and it still won't start?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am now living on Vancouver Island so not even that cold. Maybe 8-10 degrees celsius. It's a very old cube van so I'd guess the compression isn't very good but it's only got 180K on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts