Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I installed a boost gauge, going into the line for the map sensor. I have checked and rechecked for leaks,can't find any, is my turbo not working?

It doesn't even move until about 1900 rpms and really putting the throttle down.

I don't hear the turbo until about 2300 rpms.

1995 superduty crew cab

Manual Trans

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
sounds perfectly normal,my truck is the same way,i dont get any boost until1900 up.im pretty sure its normal.its called turbo lag.:icon_ford:you can buy a smaller turbo housing and it will spool quicker,or just add a tuner.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
hold on,do you only make4 lbs of boost? if thats the case theres something wrong.mine starts to spool around 1900 on normal driving,but mine will climb to 21psi on full throttle.i also have a chip,down pipe and straight pipe,yours should make atleast 15-17 psi stock.check your exhaust,do you still have a cat,if so it could be plugged,check your ebpv,it could be partially stcuk closed,causing your problem,i think you can just unplug it at the turbo and eliminate it.other will chime in.goodluck

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
When are you checking your boost. It won't build much boost unless there is a load on the engine. If you are checking it in neutral, or with the clutch disengaged, 4 psi might be right.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aaron here,

4 lbs is the most I can get...that is with the throttle on the floor in 3rd gear shifting to 4th, then it goes back to 0 when I am at 55-65 mph.

The firewall is a little dark behind the exhaust side of the turbo.

When driving there is a ticking sound (ticking is NOT the right word) but a rythmic noise coming from the head/turbo/exhaust manifold area. Been there since I got the truck, but I can't see anyplace where there might be a leak.

Thanks for all your help,

Aaron

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just realized i put this in the wrong area...my truck is a 95. I thought I had the right forum when I started....sorry everyone

Aaron

·
HardLuck Case of the Year
3,541 Posts
Sounds to me like you either A) have a leak at the turbo exhaust side to the down pipe. or B) your turbo is on it's way out. Even with stock tuning (now this is on a 2000 7.3L PSD) I could hit 21psi before any mods other than being straight piped. There is a LOT of turbo lag until you get a little higher in the revs with stock tuning, but only 4psi at WOT....something is def. wrong in my book.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks,

I think the turbo is going out, and there maybe an exhaust leak. Fairly often I smell exhaust in the cab, and I know I shouldn't given the circumstances (driving into the wind, etc)

Are there any other signs the turbo may be going out. I have been looking at the turbo rebuild threads and it looks pretty simple and cheap.

aaron

·
3,541 Posts
Best way to check the turbo is to take the intake off to the turbo inlet side, (Drivers side of the turbo) and grab onto the shaft and try to wiggle it up, down, side to side and in and out. PLEASE DO THIS WITH THE MOTOR OFF AND ENGINE COOL!!! (Don't ask. I've seen a ricer try to do this once!) This is the shaft play. A little is OK....a lot....not good.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Well before doing all of that, did you check your boost line for kinks?

·
3,541 Posts
Good idea Marty...I forgot about checking the MAP line.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Aaron here,

4 lbs is the most I can get...that is with the throttle on the floor in 3rd gear shifting to 4th, then it goes back to 0 when I am at 55-65 mph.

The firewall is a little dark behind the exhaust side of the turbo.

When driving there is a ticking sound (ticking is NOT the right word) but a rythmic noise coming from the head/turbo/exhaust manifold area. Been there since I got the truck, but I can't see anyplace where there might be a leak.

Thanks for all your help,

Aaron
The sound is most likely valvetrain noise or injectors firing. It seems that you have an exhaust leak. How bad is the question. If it is bad enough, you will not be able to build up enough drive pressure to operate the turbo properly.

thanks,

I think the turbo is going out, and there maybe an exhaust leak. Fairly often I smell exhaust in the cab, and I know I shouldn't given the circumstances (driving into the wind, etc)

Are there any other signs the turbo may be going out. I have been looking at the turbo rebuild threads and it looks pretty simple and cheap.

aaron
What signs?

Best way to check the turbo is to take the intake off to the turbo inlet side, (Drivers side of the turbo) and grab onto the shaft and try to wiggle it up, down, side to side and in and out. PLEASE DO THIS WITH THE MOTOR OFF AND ENGINE COOL!!! (Don't ask. I've seen a ricer try to do this once!) This is the shaft play. A little is OK....a lot....not good.
Do not worry about "up and down play". I've seen turbo's diag'ed as bad like this. The only play you need to check is linear. Try to push the shaft in and pull out. You may feel what seems like a hair width or so of play.. that is normal. If there is more play, then the bearing is about dead.

Well before doing all of that, did you check your boost line for kinks?
tee hee.. I had a kink in my line and I got rather upset thinking that something busted. After a quick launch, the kink straightened out and the gauge shot to 30psi.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
tee hee.. I had a kink in my line and I got rather upset thinking that something busted. After a quick launch, the kink straightened out and the gauge shot to 30psi.
I think 90% of the first timers do this :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I checked the line for kinks, and couldn't find any. I will check the fittings and make sure they are secure.

there also is a little oil dripping off the fitting between the turbo and the tubes going to the intake. Can I replace that gasket? What is it called? Where do I get one?

Also, the little orange tubes that connect to the intake are kinda falling apart on the edges, where do you get those?

Thanks
Aaron

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
also....I am defianantly a newbie...driven powerstrokes for years on ranches and stuff, but never owned one. Had a cummins before this. I am very impressed with the psd, and the overall truck (parts, price on parts, quality etc etc).

One fella here had the funniest quote "taking a cummins and putting it in dodge is like dipping a gold bar in poop"....

That hit home for me!

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
have you changed your down pipe yet? the stock down pipe is ghey! its a huge bottle neck and by going to a 3 inch down pipe your turbo will kick in at a much lower rpm and will give you bigger boost numbers. 4 lbs is a little low. check your turbo fins and make sure their not bent or dull, also try n wobble the compresor wheel and make sure theres not a bunch of free play in it.

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
Also check the 4 bolts on the turbo where the turbine (exhaust) housing bolts to the center section. These bolts can come loose/fall out or break, resulting in lost drive pressure, and farting out through the hole, and allow exhaust into the cab.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts