Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 ford f 250 super duty 4x4 diesel I want out to start the truck, turn over fast as always, did not start as always so I let off key, wait a few sec, turn key again, now NOTHING, no clicking nothing, all the lights on the dash are bright even the odometer, Bot when I turn the key, all the lights stay bright BUT the odometter light, that goes dark, all lights are bright horn and radio are fine just will not even click, I am a old timer 73 and live alone no kids so on my own on S/S only, so I need to try this site first, also, I can`t take it anywhere cause it will not turn over to start, battery`s only a tear old if that, Please help this old Marine Vet if you can, Thanks

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
2003 ford f 250 super duty 4x4 diesel I want out to start the truck, turn over fast as always, did not start as always so I let off key, wait a few sec, turn key again, now NOTHING, no clicking nothing, all the lights on the dash are bright even the odometer, Bot when I turn the key, all the lights stay bright BUT the odometter light, that goes dark, all lights are bright horn and radio are fine just will not even click, I am a old timer 73 and live alone no kids so on my own on S/S only, so I need to try this site first, also, I can`t take it anywhere cause it will not turn over to start, battery`s only a tear old if that, Please help this old Marine Vet if you can, Thanks
I would start with checking battery voltage and checking and cleaning all battery connections. Once you have done that post your results and go from there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
That change has a probability of the starter solenoid is at fault. The easiest way to check is to pull apart the connector at the passenger fender well that looks like an inline fuse on one wire. It's the lead to the starter solenoid. Bring that to the battery positive post. If the starter does not engage then its the starter solenoid. An if it doesn't click in, then either supply or upstream.

Of course, there is also the possibility of an intermittent failure, works then doesn't, which drives diagnostics crazy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That change has a probability of the starter solenoid is at fault. The easiest way to check is to pull apart the connector at the passenger fender well that looks like an inline fuse on one wire. It's the lead to the starter solenoid. Bring that to the battery positive post. If the starter does not engage then its the starter solenoid. An if it doesn't click in, then either supply or upstream.

Of course, there is also the possibility of an intermittent failure, works then doesn't, which drives diagnostics crazy.
OK, TooManyToys, I just want out and checked the volts, had on charger few hours reading almost 14 volts, so I pull that wire apart, the lead to the starter and run a wire from the positive then touch it to male plug end and Nothing, I see s small spark in there each time I touch it, So what do you think now, Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
OK, TooManyToys, I just want out and checked the volts, had on charger few hours reading almost 14 volts, so I pull that wire apart, the lead to the starter and run a wire from the positive then touch it to male plug end and Nothing, I see s small spark in there each time I touch it, So what do you think now, Thanks for your time.
Based on that information it seems you have a bad starter/starter solenoid. I would check to make sure that you are receiving power at the starter. Outside of that I would pull the starter and have it tested at the local parts store or apply 12v to it and see if it will engage off of the truck and replace with a 6.4 starter if needed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Based on that information it seems you have a bad starter/starter solenoid. I would check to make sure that you are receiving power at the starter. Outside of that I would pull the starter and have it tested at the local parts store or apply 12v to it and see if it will engage off of the truck and replace with a 6.4 starter if needed.

Thank You, I will need to wait till my Brother comes back from Vac, as I can`t do that any longer, 73 and not in the best of health so I need to wait on him to get back, just seems so funny that when I first got in and tryed it, it turn over as always, let off a few sec, try`ed again and nothing, if it was not for bad luck, I would have no luck at all. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Thank You, I will need to wait till my Brother comes back from Vac, as I can`t do that any longer, 73 and not in the best of health so I need to wait on him to get back, just seems so funny that when I first got in and tryed it, it turn over as always, let off a few sec, try`ed again and nothing, if it was not for bad luck, I would have no luck at all. Thanks.
I understand completely. Someone else my have another idea. Where are you located? If by some small chance you were nearby I would be glad to lend a hand.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand completely. Someone else my have another idea. Where are you located? If by some small chance you were nearby I would be glad to lend a hand.

OH you are great, but I live in no mans land, Vineland New Jersey, miles and miles from everywhere. but Thank You and God Bless you and your`s.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
OH you are great, but I live in no mans land, Vineland New Jersey, miles and miles from everywhere. but Thank You and God Bless you and your`s.
Yea, quite a ways from me here in Eastern NC. Let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I will as soon as I get it going, Thanks for being the man that you are, sure Mom & Dad are proud of you.
Awful nice of you to say. Lots of great helpful guys on this group.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
I agree, sounds like the starter bit the dust
didn't say how many miles, but an '03 probably time for the 6.4 starter upgrade anyways
could give the starter motor a couple of whacks on the side to see if that would jar the brushes
especially if the truck sits a lot

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Vineland ain't that bad.

You've got a good start, the solenoid starter motor connection disc is probably too pitted from time, or as Hydro mentioned, a brush hung up. Hammer tech may get you started, but it will happen again.

·
Old School
274 Posts
Also make sure the wire connections at the starter are secure. I went through this several years back with an F150. Replaced the starter after the solenoid was hitting. Turned out to be the heavy gauge power wire had corroded inside of the crimped terminal and couldn't handle enough current to engage the solenoid/start the truck. Just throwing that out there.

Reactions: TooManyToys
1 - 14 of 14 Posts