Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just gotten a 2004 Excursion with the 6L. It will be a family hauler that will occasionally tow a 5000 lb trailer. I want to maximize fuel economy daily and then be able to turn up the power when needed. Which tuner will allow me to switch back and forth and meet my goals? Thx!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Any sct tuner with custom tunes will get you the most mpg towing or just driving

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Shift on the fly tuners aren't 5R110 friendly because the transmission has to "learn" each time the programming is changed. A custom tuned SCT on a street or race program will not only provide you with the most hp, but also the best fuel economy if you can keep your foot out of it. Plus you can change to a towing tune if you're towing heavy (you typically get 3 custom tunes).

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
I have just gotten a 2004 Excursion with the 6L. It will be a family hauler that will occasionally tow a 5000 lb trailer. I want to maximize fuel economy daily and then be able to turn up the power when needed. Which tuner will allow me to switch back and forth and meet my goals? Thx!
As others mentioned, go with the SCT flash tuner. Every shift-on-the-fly out there relys on the transmission relearn to adapt to the new powerband. Which puts a lot of stress on it. Where as the SCT will tune the transmission when you reflash the truck, and it won't be such a shock on the parts. Actually most tuners do more work with transmission parameters then they do the engine itself.

And without mention you will need a monitor package like an Edge Insight, as you will for any 6.0L even if left stock.

As for tunes themselves, it takes less than 5 mins to change the program. You can run a race or street file as you DD, then make the change to a street (under 8k load) or tow file (no weight limit, in most cases) and be fine. I see the best economy with my Race file (about 15% over stock) and decent with my Street file (about 10% gain). Just ensure the tuner is informed wheather your truck has studs or stock bolts and your tunes will be relatively safe. (There is no guarantee something won't stretch the stock TTY bolts.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts