Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after fixing everything possible, the dealership has finally decided to do the hg job. It will be under warranty and I asked the service manager about ARP studs and he said the first tech said absolutely not! So..... the other tech, who has more experience is willing to do the ARP install for me while the motor is apart. I offered him a few hundred bucks and he's happy. My question is...is there anything else I should do while the motor is apart? I don't plan on doing the fire rings as I would rather blow a gasket over breaking internal parts, but do I need to address anything else now? I only plan on using a semi agressive custom tune once she's studded, and possibly water meth down the road.

Scott (and thanks for any input)

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Weld the EGR shut at the up pipe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Your paying the mechanic extra to install the ARP head studs? I guess I feel lucky now. I should get mine back this week, but only had to provide the ARP studs and they are installing them as part of the warranty.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Completely delete the EGR cooler..

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm curious as to the first tech's reason for the "absolutely not". I bet the second one is real happy if you offered a couple hundred bucks to get them put in.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
head studs

I'm curious as to the first tech's reason for the "absolutely not". I bet the second one is real happy if you offered a couple hundred bucks to get them put in.

not sure, maybe he's a company man.

as for paying extra rugrat, I'm happy to throw the guy a few bucks to help me out. They could likely void my warranty if they wanted to. Or simply refuse to do the studs all together.

Scott

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think my HGs are bad. Its going in on Thurs. to get checked. I was thinking about asking this question, I'm glad it came up. So, the new factory studs that they will want to put back are junk as well? I also see that my assumption was right, that it wouldn't be totally out of line to ask them to install aftermarket studs that I will purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I just got my studs done under warranty also, all I had to do was provide the Arp's. The only drawback was they said with the aftermarket parts my heads were no longer under warranty. Oh well!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I was wondering about that as well, do tell how you pulled that off my friend?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think my HGs are bad. Its going in on Thurs. to get checked. I was thinking about asking this question, I'm glad it came up. So, the new factory studs that they will want to put back are junk as well? I also see that my assumption was right, that it wouldn't be totally out of line to ask them to install aftermarket studs that I will purchase.

Well it draws attention to the fact that you probably have a programmer or a chip and they might want to void you if they can.

Scott

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
Nice about the ARPs...and see if ya get the EGR block done too.:thumb:

As for slipping the tech a little extra, nothing wrong with that. Still cheaper than having to pay for the whole job.:nod:

·
Registered
27 Posts
It all comes down to the individual dealership. I was lucky in that I have a good dealership who called me once they decided to do the head gaskets and ask me to remove my programmer so they could do it under warranty. During a discussion with the mechanic, he actually recommended the ARP studs since the replacement ones by Ford weren't any better. Nothing was mentioned to me about that voiding any future warranty on the heads, but I will soon be out of the warranty anyway. Incidently, I didn't buy my truck from them, but I have always had it serviced by them. I will definitely be buying my next truck from them (when that day comes) because of the good service I have received.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I told them that it puked antifreeze when pulling a load and got hot, he took it out and coudn't make it do it. So he said that it was from a chip or it wasn't even blowed and I just wanted the studs put in under warranty. I just pled the 5th and said I didnt know what he was talking about.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ARP's

It all comes down to the individual dealership. I was lucky in that I have a good dealership who called me once they decided to do the head gaskets and ask me to remove my programmer so they could do it under warranty. During a discussion with the mechanic, he actually recommended the ARP studs since the replacement ones by Ford weren't any better. Nothing was mentioned to me about that voiding any future warranty on the heads, but I will soon be out of the warranty anyway. Incidently, I didn't buy my truck from them, but I have always had it serviced by them. I will definitely be buying my next truck from them (when that day comes) because of the good service I have received.
I too am nearly out of warranty so I think that is why tech # 2 was cool about it.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
The tech said he wouldn't be worried about the warranty on the heads, he said he hasn't had a 6.0 back for their second set of head bolts yet, and those were all factory. This was his first set of ARP's.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've never had a problem with my local dealer before..no cat, straight piped, egt tapped into manifold, banks ram air, no problems...They acted as if they're getting paid by ford anyway...just didn't want to push it too much, ya know?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I think it is garenteed money to them also. I think sometimes they may turn you down though if they have been doing alot of warranty work. I think they worry about getting audited by ford.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts