Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some advice on swaping my rear end ratio from 3:73 to 3:55? I'm going to be ordering a new ring & pinion, rebuild kit shortly but I was thinking that swaping the ratio might help a little with the mpg I'm getting. The other thing I haven't found to much info on is the whether or not this sawp will affect my pcm. From what I read the VSS is using the tone ring in the diff, so from that I'm thinking that the gear swap shouldn't effect the PCM? Is this correct? The truck is 2wd, auto and I only tow a car trailer maybe 3% of the time. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
If you are going to drive this same truck for the next 200.000 miles then it might pay for the swap, but for most people they never get there money back form fuel saved.

Doug

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear end needs rebuit anyway. The pinion was loose enough that it was rubbing the carrier.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Then you have no chose but to rebuild it, so I would say go ahead. Wish you could use these 3.08s I have in my shop. LOL

Doug

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone else that's swaped ratios?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump......

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Going from a 3.73 to a 3.55 isn't going to yield that much in the way of fuel savings, but if you need to rebuild your rear gear, it won't hurt. Just count your blessings you don't have a 4WD truck or you'd be doing TWO ring and pinions if you were to do such a swap.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Advice? Let a clutch and driveshaft shop that has been doing it for 30 years handle it. Would the carrier allow you to go down another ratio?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They sell a rebuild kit with the 3:55 ratio so it should fit. I think the new powerstrokes you can get 3:25 ratio so it shouldn't be an issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts