Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
International Threat
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried what I knew and well it's not working.

Here is what happened... going up a hill, truck just cuts off. Won't restart.

Well I did an oil change, changed CPS, it's getting fuel, it's full of fuel, batteries are a week old and they're charging while cranking, hpop res is plumb FULL, there are no blown fuses, and it's cranking great - just not catching. Ready for other suggestions...

:doh:

No codes now coming up, they were erased after I pulled them while I was waiting for my stepdad in the tow truck and none have resurfaced.

They were
AIH 0541 (deleted)
Turbo boost circ high
Turbo overboost something or other.
KAM - Keep alive memory (chipped).
Cam Sensor

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,086 Posts
Same codes you had the other day?

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
Take out the DP chip and put the stock chip back in (if you have it) and see if she fires up.

·
International Threat
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no smoke while cranking... chip is still installed... that is one thing I can do. I know the truck was low on oil... it looked be about 3/5'ths of what I normally drain during an oil change.

The WTS light comes on as well.

·
Registered
193 Posts
does it try and crank or nothing?

have you drained the fuel bowl and refilled it..ie checking to make sure fuel lines are not clooged & pump works..

are the injector harness wires tight, and in good condition.

Icp and hpop all work ok..

even if it was a bad cps, some of the new ones have been bad.
it should throw a code..i would think.

double check the chip didn't come loose ..try it with no chip..

you don't have a tc switch and left it locked

ground straps all good.

·
International Threat
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ground straps all good.
Checked that this morning! It's cranking like no other, so that is ruled out anyway.

have you drained the fuel bowl and refilled it
No, but it's getting fuel... I cracked the lid and let it push out. And then tightened it back down.

double check the chip didn't come loose ..try it with no chip.. <-- thats what I'm going to try tonight or tomorrow night actually... going to philly tonight.

even if it was a bad cps, some of the new ones have been bad.
it should throw a code..i would think.
It did throw a code, and I used a CPS out of my step dad's truck, didn't work. Replaced his CPS back into his truck and it started just fine so I know the CPS I tried was good.

No way to check ICP now, but the truck was running and just cut out... I really do think this is oil related...

Next....

·
International Threat
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ICP sensor / IPR - cause no start and stall.
Double check fuel pressure @ bowl.
Swap ICP sensor with one from old heads.
Need to put on scanner... IPR duty cyle = should read 14% with KOEO cranking should increase to 35-45%
Do buzz test to make sure IDM is working.

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,211 Posts
Marty, you working tomorrow night? You probably are, but of you weren't I could bring the MODIS down. But you get off work after I'm usually asleep.

I'll call you tomorrow, I'm on the road most of the day tomorrow.

·
Registered
190 Posts
mine did that one time, it was when i first put the chip on and i didnt clean the contacts well enough. i am sure u have checked that, i was just saying.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I still think its oil related, especially after he said the oil reservoir was empty. Sometimes they just have to crank a while to build the pressure back up to fire the injectors.

·
International Threat
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Marty, you working tomorrow night? You probably are, but of you weren't I could bring the MODIS down. But you get off work after I'm usually asleep.

I'll call you tomorrow, I'm on the road most of the day tomorrow.
Absolutely great idea! I'm not familiar with the MODIS - if you can do that then I will not call ITP tomorrow about AE :hehe:

i like how you leave a note for yourself
:blushes: thanks hahah gotta keep all my thoughts in one place you know! And being online if anyone ever comes on here searching with a similar problem they can see where I went and what I did :p

PS thanks for the tips on the phone... glad I didn't sell my heads yet :thud:

:doh: Stupid me! Got a freakin' game tomorrow night. 3 game homestand. What time do you go in? 3PM?
I won't be home tonight, and probably won't be working on this tuesday night after work or wednesday morning... got a funeral and court before work on wednesday.

Sooooo it'll be thursday morning before I get around to doing anything else to this thing...

·
International Threat
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mine did that one time, it was when i first put the chip on and i didnt clean the contacts well enough. i am sure u have checked that, i was just saying.
Well I would of done that, but my truck has been chipped for over 100k miles, and the current chip has been installed for about 2 months. Stranger things have happened but like I told Scuffy and he agree's... this is oil related. Don't think I'm not going to double check though :thumb:

Possible IDM (Injector Driver Module) :dunno:. Just a thought.
Going to rule that out with an injector buzz test... I would have thought there would have been "signs" that it's going out - but while on the phone with scuffy he said nope, like a light bulb and I said duh, there are resistors in there!

I still think its oil related, especially after he said the oil reservoir was empty. Sometimes they just have to crank a while to build the pressure back up to fire the injectors.
Me too... but before I go cranking for extended periods of times I'm going to rule everything out. I've cranked on it about 7 seconds each time 4 times SINCE the oil change, cps change, etc... so it should start. I mean... I've had the injectors out probably 4 times, have done other oil related stuff on my truck and other trucks and it just doesn't take that long to get them started.

Hell... I got the new motor started in 2 8-10 second cranks after I fixed all the little fuel leaks!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts