Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so if you have your truck and you put a intake on it, a straight pipe, and a DP on it, and do like stage 1 or stage 2 injectors in it BUT DO NOT PUT A CHIP IN the truck WHAT would it do?:tard:

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts
It would run and you would see a horsepower increase with those mods and no chip. But it would not be anywhere near its potential

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would run and you would see a horsepower increase with those mods and no chip. But it would not be anywhere near its potential
Well I figure it would run but wandered if it would run right if you know what I mean:dunno:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Why would you want to do injectors and not chip it though?

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts
Well I figure it would run but wandered if it would run right if you know what I mean:dunno:
Thats gonna depend on the injector size you go with

·
Registered
107 Posts
so you can pretend like you are running a 12v and write on the back of your truck:
"CHIPS AND PROPANE ARE FOR BARBECUES"
without a doubt tho, chips are that big of a deal and give your truck tremendous gains.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why would you want to do injectors and not chip it though?
Im not going to do injectors first! I am actually getting a TW chip but was wandering what it would do without the chip.

I have had several Diesels and never did power adders but to 3 of them out of 8 trucks and then it was just straight pipe and chip or fuel pump turned up and intakes. The one truck that was chipped only had a 70hp chip in it and a drop in filter.

Sorry if I asked the dumb question of the day but Im new to the performance part of POWER STROKES and was just curious if it was the same as if you were working on a 12v as I have had one and done work on 3 others.

·
Registered
613 Posts
As long as the injectors matched the PCM as far as split vs single shot it should run fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
with out a chip or tuner u wouldnt have proper fuel delivery to feed the over sized injector tips and it wouldnt atomize the fuel like it could or should. the fuel would not burn completely and u could have a lot of potential for power (black smoke) and it may idle rough.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
with out a chip or tuner u wouldnt have proper fuel delivery to feed the over sized injector tips and it wouldnt atomize the fuel like it could or should. the fuel would not burn completely and u could have a lot of potential for power (black smoke) and it may idle rough.
So basically it would dump smoke and idle like a 12v with a custom ground fuel plate, pump turned, and advanced timing?

W

·
0 Posts
So basically it would dump smoke and idle like a 12v with a custom ground fuel plate, pump turned, and advanced timing?
more or less yes that is true... but at stock timing as the timing is adjusted with the chip

·
Registered
266 Posts
yeah going from split shots on a 7.3 (99-03) to single shots will make it idle terrible ive herd, the timeing needs to be adjusted a bit to idle as it would if you left the split shots in it. but they are great power adders on the 7.3s with a good set of custome.

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
On my chip, I have a "stock" setting. With the stage 2's having a larger nozzle, it does dump in a bit more fuel in the stock tune. It idles normally, makes some smoke if you hammer it, and is still street friendly with more power. But as other people mentioned before, a chip is needed to get the full potential out of the system.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On my chip, I have a "stock" setting. With the stage 2's having a larger nozzle, it does dump in a bit more fuel in the stock tune. It idles normally, makes some smoke if you hammer it, and is still street friendly with more power. But as other people mentioned before, a chip is needed to get the full potential out of the system.
That is pretty much the best answer!:thumb: I was going to add a chip but wandered if it had the stage 2 injectors and the stock setting if it would screw things up or just smoke like a 12v.

·
Registered
447 Posts
^^^^This has pretty much been my experience also!!^^^^

·
Registered
266 Posts
what is the difference between split shot vs single shot
the 94-97 trucks all except for the california 97's had single shot injectors, they deliver the fuel all in one shot, as the split shot injectors, (99-03) were alittle bigger but they do not deliever thier fuel in one shot. if you want the most performence out of your truck single shots is the way to go because they inject all thier fuel on one shot.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
yeah going from split shots on a 7.3 (99-03) to single shots will make it idle terrible ive herd, the timeing needs to be adjusted a bit to idle as it would if you left the split shots in it. but they are great power adders on the 7.3s with a good set of custome.
It depends on the truck. SOme will idle and drive fine with singles and not changing tuning.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts