Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hypothetically speaking:

If you turn off the Regen with the tuner installed, then WHY (other than flow or performance gains) would you need to remove the DPF itself from the truck if the Regen is OFF, then all it is doing is hanging there, the sensors would not function so why spend the $125-250 for a DPF delete pipe? Trying to understand this portion.

Also, what gains are any of you seeing with just a tuner SCT, Bully Dog, etc installed and "normal" driving with regards to MPG or Mile per tank?

So besides BADP, SCT, Spartan, Bully Dog, who else has a tuner dpf delete or not that will work on the 6.4L?

I want to do this SCT dpf delete setup but after reading all the problems think I just want to install a tuner and be done with it.. I know that I don't want that dashdaq thing as I would rather have a tuner that I can plug in and then remove from the truck as needed.

·
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD
3,393 Posts
You need to delete the DPF because if you shut off Regen the DPF will get clogged and eventually be resricting flow more than it does when it is clean - which is the other reason guys take it off.

·
Registered
73 Posts
1. the dpf is very restrictive. more restriction=less airflow=lower fuel mileage

2. with the dashdaq, you can tune the truck and then remove it. it does not have to stay plugged up.

3. any tune that does not delete the dpf will just put more soot through the dpf and just cause more regens. just a waste of money and time.

4. sct and spartan are the only ones to offer dpf delete tunes.

5. it only takes an hour or two to change out the pipe. its worth it. you will pick up 2-3 mpg. hopefully you wont have to take it back to the dealer very often, but if you do, just put the pipe back on and put the stock tune back in.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. the dpf is very restrictive. more restriction=less airflow=lower fuel mileage

2. with the dashdaq, you can tune the truck and then remove it. it does not have to stay plugged up.

3. any tune that does not delete the dpf will just put more soot through the dpf and just cause more regens. just a waste of money and time.

4. sct and spartan are the only ones to offer dpf delete tunes.

5. it only takes an hour or two to change out the pipe. its worth it. you will pick up 2-3 mpg. hopefully you wont have to take it back to the dealer very often, but if you do, just put the pipe back on and put the stock tune back in.
Well my truck does not regen that much anyway. Did yesterday which was the first time in 2 full tanks and only took about 20 mins.

I can understand restriction, also I like having the tuner, not a really big fan of the dashdaq, looks too much like a gps to me.. I guess I will start looking at the SCT since that is what I want, just hope that I do not have problems with it.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Well my truck does not regen that much anyway. Did yesterday which was the first time in 2 full tanks and only took about 20 mins.

I can understand restriction, also I like having the tuner, not a really big fan of the dashdaq, looks too much like a gps to me.. I guess I will start looking at the SCT since that is what I want, just hope that I do not have problems with it.
Well let us know how it turns out.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
So with the SCT, I read somewhere the Xcalibrator 3 is coming out with the DPF delete files. This is just a tuner with no display, correct? Does that make it cheaper and allow me to continue using my Edge Insight for the display? Are the stock tunes that presumably come with the Xcalibrator 3 sufficient for economy and towing?

Assuming I'm on the right track here, then the other piece to the puzzle would be the DPF delete pipe. What is recommended for the DPF delete pipe? I have seen a few out there, but the there is one that transitions from 8-inches to 4-inches for $375 that seems the best so far. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anybody have some advice?

·
Registered
73 Posts
powerstroke67 sells a full length converter and dpf delete pipe with all of the hangers, and fittings. spartan sells just the dpf delete you are talking about. both are good products. really they say you dont get any more mileage or horsepower out of the longer pipe. just more sound. i guess it depends on what you want.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Why in the heck would you care what the actual tuner looks like. Shouldn't you care more about what it does, and how it works??????? Don't be a looker here. The bottom line is performance. From what I have read (no experience) the dashdaq is the way to go. I'll shutup now and watch and read.

737tdi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts