Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, im new too the site and got some questions for everyone.

Just a new purchaser to a 2008 F250 Crewcab Shortbox 4X2. got it from Carmax and they said they went over everything, but thinking on doing somethings to it next weekend just too make sure and be safe.

One thing is the truck is very low mileage at least i think so, 45K and seems to be very sound and tight. And this truck will not be modded at this current time, running Stock till i get more in-depth with it. Also, wont be Towing, maybe once in a Blue Moon.

Oil looked great and asked the guy what they put in it and hes pretty sure it was 5w40 synthetic, but want to know what i should run in it. Hearing from some of you guys Rotella 15W40 is best. And Oil filter, which one? heard bad things if you use the Wix, so, im asking? :dunno:

Thinking of doing Fuel filters as well and maybe coolant flush. let me know guys, cause ive always been one if you buy a used vehicle to always change your fluids and filters. As for the Fuel Filters, which brand as well.

Thanks for the help everyone, want to make sure this thing runs for a long time and many miles to come.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Motorcraft on the filters and some cat ec 1 for coolant

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
525 Posts
Oh yeah just remember to flush coolant good ton of threads on this stuff

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok cool, whats a good coolant for the 6.4? would the 50/50 Peak Coolant work?

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
If you're stock just make sure to change the oil out every 4k or so.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea for the time im going to be stock. I want to take care of this truck as its now going to be my DD. So, 4-5k intervals for Oil changes? How about the Fuel Filters?

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
use Motorcraft or Racor Filters I normally order mine from Performance Truck Products when I have to get both oil and fuel filters otherwise I just get the oil filter from Walmart. I also just use Motorcraft 15W40 oil. No point in using synthetic.

·
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere
1,900 Posts
Yea for the time im going to be stock. I want to take care of this truck as its now going to be my DD. So, 4-5k intervals for Oil changes? How about the Fuel Filters?
If you are set on being stock follow the severe maintenance schedule. The DPF leads to lots of fuel in the oil. Never stop mid Regen either.

IMHO these trucks are nice, stock, but tune that bad boy and you will never look back and they are much more reliable and less finicky.

Sent from a phone smarter than me.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
I change my fuel filters every third oil change.

·
Registered
152 Posts
For the severe service schedule, change fuel filters every 10k miles. Use the OEM fuel filters.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, but what do you guys think i should do as of now. As i have no clue what Carmax has done to the truck. the oil has been changed and im sure all the fluids have been topped off, but should i go ahead and change out the fuel filters this coming weekend?

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
At that low of miles I would Change the Fuel Filters just in case and I would have the trans serviced and the coolant system flushed. I put ford gold back in mine because I don't think there is a reason to change it but you of course can do whatever you feel led to do.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, thanks for the help guys, like i said, im wanting to keep this truck in great shape and not have any issues with it. love it though, big difference coming from a hatchback to this thing. makes me fill more of a man now for owning a truck. lol

·
Registered
769 Posts
Here's the problem I would have with Carmax or some used dealer inspecting, topping off, changing a modern diesel... you never know what they put in the vehicle. These places usually don't have a competent diesel mechanic on staff so they don't know the service intervals for these beasts or the maintenance required. They may have just topped everything off and called it a day. They don't make extra money doing all the fluid/filter changes and those can get pretty pricey on a diesel. So, I wouldn't count them doing any of them despite what they say.

If you mix coolants, you can get terrible sludge issue if they aren't compatible. Bad coolant in this truck equals bad stuff... very expensive bad stuff.

Did they really change fuel filters? On gas cars, they only need to be done once every year or two or three (25,000-60,000 miles), on this truck, I don't feel safe going more than about 10,000 miles on a fuel filter. This is because I have pulled the filter after 10k miles and seen how dirty it was. I have now started changing fuel stations until I find one that has really clean diesel.

It's better to be safe than sorry on a truck like this. A few hundred in fluid/filter changes is nice peace of mind.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, are WIX fuel filters ok? or should i stay with Motorcraft fuel filters?

·
Registered
152 Posts
There have been a few recommendations in this thread already to stick with the Motorcraft fuel filters.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Wix is not okay (as far as I know). Racor or Motorcraft only on fuel and oil filters.

There are plenty of threads on this and on some of the filter selling sites like:

Ford 6.4 Liter Turbo Diesel Truck Filters - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks

You'll see exactly why we only use Racor or Motorcraft. Saving a few dollars on filters won't make you feel that great when you toast one of these motors. The fuel filter especially. I'm sure if you bring it into Ford for engine warranty work they will inspect the fuel filter. If it is not a Motorcraft or Racor, they will almost undoubtedly void your warranty. I'm just speaking from knowledge based on my local Ford dealership and another one which I work with closely. Am I saying that's right (or the right thing for them to do)? No.

For the record, any major engine issue is going to have them pull a fuel sample and also look at your fuel filters since that is one of the well-known engine killers and also the easiest out for the dealership.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have now moved to 10K Fuel filter Changes with 5K on the oil. You may want to bleed off some fuel out of the lower filter / pump into a clear jar just to see how much water has accummulated. About 4 oz will due. If you don't see any you may want to change at 50K being rounded off and start your interval from there. Anyway your call. Stay with FoMoCo filters. Good luck!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I change my fuel filters 10k miles, FMCO only. Oil is 5k miles. I'm deleted, but I use the FMCO filters and oil only (buy it at WalMart). Don't waste money on synthetic. Spend the $200 now to change your oil/filter, fuel filter and get the peace of mind and cheap insurance against failure later. I believe the Sinister and Dieselite coolant filters are pretty much the same thing except some guys don't like the blue hoses that come with the Sinister kit. I liked them so I got that kit. I'm going to run the coolant filter first before I flush the coolant so I can remove as much sand as possible and reduce the risk of sending it deeper into bad places.

You would actually help your truck's fuel mileage out and the life of your truck by deleting. You should consider it because that is your daily driver, you would benefit from it. You can delete and tune and you have the option of running close to stock HP or feeling like even more of a man and running a hotter tune. Just be aware that MODIFICATION ADDICTION DISORDER will set in once you start doing this stuff. But in the end of you take good care if the truck it's all worth it.

·
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere
1,900 Posts
I change my fuel filters 10k miles, FMCO only. Oil is 5k miles. I'm deleted, but I use the FMCO filters and oil only (buy it at WalMart). Don't waste money on synthetic. Spend the $200 now to change your oil/filter, fuel filter and get the peace of mind and cheap insurance against failure later. I believe the Sinister and Dieselite coolant filters are pretty much the same thing except some guys don't like the blue hoses that come with the Sinister kit. I liked them so I got that kit. I'm going to run the coolant filter first before I flush the coolant so I can remove as much sand as possible and reduce the risk of sending it deeper into bad places.

You would actually help your truck's fuel mileage out and the life of your truck by deleting. You should consider it because that is your daily driver, you would benefit from it. You can delete and tune and you have the option of running close to stock HP or feeling like even more of a man and running a hotter tune. Just be aware that MODIFICATION ADDICTION DISORDER will set in once you start doing this stuff. But in the end of you take good care if the truck it's all worth it.
Where are you spending $200 on regular oil and filters?! I just changed my oil for $100 and I use Rotella T6 full synthetic!

Also I would think the flush would remove more sand than the filter because you are FLUSHING the system. Change to coolant now (and go with an ELC if you can) and put the filter on with fresh coolant. (I could be wrong so don't bite my head off, but mechanically speaking this makes sense).

Deleting also only helps if you can keep your right foot out of the skinny pedal. My pedal and boot have a very healthy relationship so my mileage didn't go up a ton (14 stock to 16 tuned). The low HP tunes aren't going to yield a huge increase, but running a hotter tunes and keeping your foot at bay yields the best MPG increase.

I 100% agree with M.A.D. I have it without a doubt. But please, please don't run high HP tunes just because you think it will make you more 'manly'. That is part of the reason we have all the emissions crap. People running around feeling like they have to smoke out everyone and prove their 8k lb truck with outrun mustangs and camaros (it will with the right setup but every car on the road isn't a drag race contender). Also unless you are willing to pay to play don't run high HP tunes. They are great but thy come with extra stresses on very expensive parts and if they break and you can't afford to fix it you are stuck up a creek without a truck.

With they being said, mod the sh!t out of it and enjoy it! But do it for the enjoyment not to help your short man syndrome. (Not sayin you are short, just grabbing at sayings)...

Sent from a phone smarter than me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts