Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have seen it here somewhere that you want the oil to be at about 160 degrees when it enters the motor. I have just been running my v/o system for a few days now, but it is hot here in FL and I have never seen the temp up over 150. I have not run on the highway yet, just local roads and in town, but even running at 60 mph., it is maxing at 150.

I have an f250 2000 7.3. Running HIH under the truck for about 7'. Come out of the tank with a 3/8" high injection fuel line to the HIH which is about 3' tops from tank to HIH. As I said, the HIH runs about 7' to the pump, then to the filter (wrapped one time with heater hose) out of filter to heat exchange unit to the motor.

Temp gauge is around 14" from where it enters the motor.
No problems so far, but just wondering if I need to add some heat somehow to the line? Wondering what it will do in the winter if it is topping out at 150 in the summer.

·
Registered
971 Posts
what kind of heat exchanger are you using? My rule of thumb is truck at normal operating temperatur (halfway through coolant gauge) or oil at 140 degrees minimum. 160 really isnt necessary if you ask me since the heads are heat exchangers in their own right.

·
WNY Biodiesel Co-op
915 Posts
I'll second that about the heads . Your temp as the oil enters the injectors will be well over 160.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what kind of heat exchanger are you using? My rule of thumb is truck at normal operating temperatur (halfway through coolant gauge) or oil at 140 degrees minimum. 160 really isnt necessary if you ask me since the heads are heat exchangers in their own right.
Heat exchanger is a 30 plate.
I don't have everything wrapped the way I want it yet. I'll be doing that along the way. I eventually want all of the fuel line wrapped with insulation. That should help to hold the heat in. Right now, I only have the main portion of the line, the HIH wrapped in insulation. Just don't want to hurt the motor before I get all of that done.

·
Registered
971 Posts
hmmmmmm I only have a greasecar heated filter with a veggtherm as a backup but just the greasecar heated filter I see 160 degrees easily in the winter time. I have a 30 plate but I moved to hawaii and truck is in California still. I think you might not have enough flow to your heat exchanger. In summer time I see my oil at 180-200 degrees.

·
Registered
216 Posts
150 is a warm enough pre head temp for the powerstrokes, but, in your climate you should definatly be seeing hotter oil. Where did you take off from your coolant line to heat your veg system?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
150 is a warm enough pre head temp for the powerstrokes, but, in your climate you should definatly be seeing hotter oil. Where did you take off from your coolant line to heat your veg system?
I traced the hot side and spliced out of there just over the manifold. Put a manuel shutoff valve in just in case. Runs down to the heat exchange unit out of unit and wraps the filter one time. Moves past the pump to the HIH to the tank and then returns back to motor to the return side.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only thing I can think of is that perhaps I don't have the manuel valve open all the way. I'll double check that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what size is the valve? It might be restricting flow.
Checked the valve and is wide open. The valve is the same size as the hose...I believe it is 3/4 but could be 5/8, I don't remember, but I do know I went with the same size as the hose.

I wrapped most lines now (just a couple things to finish up) and the temp has raised fairly dramatically. But it is still not running at 160.

Most of the running I do is local 55 mph. and in town. It does add heat to be going down the highway at 70, but shouldn't it be running hotter even in town?
Town is 10 miles away, so I am running 60ish (unless behind slow drivers) for that 10 miles. Then have to slow it down to 40 to 45.

Seems to like to run just shy of 150 once warmed up good.

My concern is, what is it going to do this winter. I know it is ok now, but if I go North or even the occasional 40 degree weather here where will it be.

Guess I'll see in a couple months.

·
Registered
971 Posts
something just isnt right. Pictures of your system would help but man I saw 150 degrees when it was 40 degrees out and all I had at that time was a greasecar heated filter.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Suggestions:

Coolant flow should be motor > FPHE > Filter > Tank, then back up to motor.

You could boost the coolant flow during non-highway driving with an aux coolant pump, which might help increase temps.

Try another temp sender. Maybe it's just reading low.

Insulate everything (including your temp senders).

With the setup you're describing, your oil should achieve just below coolant temp easily. With a stock t-stat, that should give you 170*F-180*F oil.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Suggestions:

Coolant flow should be motor > FPHE > Filter > Tank, then back up to motor.

You could boost the coolant flow during non-highway driving with an aux coolant pump, which might help increase temps.

Try another temp sender. Maybe it's just reading low.

Insulate everything (including your temp senders).

With the setup you're describing, your oil should achieve just below coolant temp easily. With a stock t-stat, that should give you 170*F-180*F oil.
Got the set up as you describe at the top. I have not wrapped the sender. So I'll do that.

What is the best material to wrap/insulate the line with. I am using the pipe insulation that comes in tube form from Lowes. It is about 8' long and 1/2 " or so thick. Then in a lot of places, I am using an insulation tape that is self adhesive. I am wrapping the tube with it.

If I have to, I'll add an aux. pump, but I'd rather not if I can keep from it. If I do end up having to do that, what is the best one for the purpose?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts