Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone could tell me what the difference between the 2 should be for normal driving, a couple People told me to keep a eye on it and I typically have between a 6 and 9 Degree difference I have been told that anything over 15 is a sure sign that the cooler is going bad. and just wondering if I am seeing the early signs of a oncoming failure or if I'm just being paranoid.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
IMHO no worries. Thing you have to understand is that the deltas need to be checked level driving for a few miles at an engine rpm of about 2250 or so. Load variations will tend to increase EOT's a bit. Under 15 deg is good.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I was wondering if someone could tell me what the difference between the 2 should be for normal driving, a couple People told me to keep a eye on it and I typically have between a 6 and 9 Degree difference I have been told that anything over 15 is a sure sign that the cooler is going bad. and just wondering if I am seeing the early signs of a oncoming failure or if I'm just being paranoid.

Thanks
:ORG welcome: Those temps sound ok now... Glad to hear you have a true data monitor, what are you running for data monitoring?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am running a Edge racing CTS, This weekend I am adding the EGT Probe Can someone recommend any other PIDS I should be watching on a consistent basis?

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Fuel pressure(can be added to the CTS expansion cable) FICM voltage, Trans temp if towing. The ones on my CTS that are normally displayed: EGT, EOT, ECT, BOOST, Fuel Pressure. Then on the Scangauge2: FICM Voltage, Battery Voltage, IAT, ICP.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Fuel pressure(can be added to the CTS expansion cable) FICM voltage, Trans temp if towing. The ones on my CTS that are normally displayed: EGT, EOT, ECT, BOOST, Fuel Pressure. Then on the Scangauge2: FICM Voltage, Battery Voltage, IAT, ICP.
How do you run the Scangauge and CTS at the same time? Does the Scangauge plug into the OBDII port also?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
How do you run the Scangauge and CTS at the same time? Does the Scangauge plug into the OBDII port also?
Yea i dont think you can run the 2 at the same time.... The truck only has one OBD port. But on my CTS I have EGT, boost, oil temp, coolant temp, trans temp.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The "proper" way to test your temp delta (per Ford) is to have the truck to "normal" operating temps (i.e. ECT over 190*) then drive the truck at 65 mph on flat level ground for 10 minutes.

After you've been driving (I just set my cruise) at 65 mph for 10 minutes on flat ground that is when you calculate your temp difference between ECT and EOT. These figures should be taken at the same time, not as a spread.

The difference between the ECT and EOT is what your looking for (i.e. called your "delta").

Any difference <10* is nothing to worry about.
10* - 15* ~ Start to get concerned as your oil and / or EGR coolers are clogging up and on their way out
>15* ~ You need to replace your oil and / or EGR cooler now (recommended to swap both at the same time and go to a bulletproof EGR cooler or EGR delete and to also do a proper coolant flush with restore and restore+ as well as switch to a Cat ELC)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was told that with a scan tool I could see both the HP and LP oil pressure, is this under a different name on the Edge? the main reason I would like to watch it is to know if something is up before the turbo is screwed up.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I think you can only see HP oil pressure (ICP, injection control pressure). The LP oil pressure is just a switch and not an actual pressure sending unit.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
That is correct for both lp oil pressure and fuel pressure. AFAIK the Edge with the expansion module is the only single unit to do this.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Yes it is the only monitor that is capable because it can be expanded to monitor any pressure from 0-100psi and any fluid temp. (Not sure on the temp range) So lets say you wanted to monitor fuel pressure, oil pressure, the temperature of each differential, etc. You can do that with the Edge as these sensors are all just daisy chained together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts